Available - RSA "The Black Bird" SR-71A, Redesigned, Resized AMP images page 1,28, 33, 34, 39 . Mini review: 40, 41, 45 .
Oct 15, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #526 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for your help! they're available to buy now?

Yes, they are. But the production of SR-71A will be limited to 500 units. And my friend said he got #244. So if you want to get it, hurry up a little. Contact Ray.

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #527 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the li-poly rechargeables and like the low discharge, the bass is slam hard and well defined. Very, very fast and articulate. This amp is powering my Ultrasone Ed. 9's very fine.

I still prefer the low discharge but the li-poly do a very good job and the amp rocks!

John, can you further differentiate the different between the Tysonic low discharge (200mah) and the Li-polymer (500 mah) in terms of sq? the 500 mah li-poly is attractive because of its capacity. But if the sq difference is big I'll stay with the tysonic. Thanks very much.

By the way, I just order a black bird.

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #528 of 674
Quote:

I mentioned it earlier but if anyone buys rechargeables be sure and pick up the Tysonic 200mA low discharge battery. To my ear it improves sound in all areas and is well worth the purchase even though I would like more mA's for longer run times. I have the 500mA Li-poly and while I get very long run times it doesn't sound as good as the low discharge Tysonic, which like the eneloop AAA, that I like, appears to have lower internal resistance which improves the power supply.

Greetings my friend Jamato8!

Listening to the Dead with a pico/dac lossless/akg 701 combo. Closing of Winterland, fire on the mtn, drinking a sam adams oktoberfest. Life is good. I went to the thompson battery site to purchase 4 of the tysonic 200ma low discharge batteries based on your recommendation. However, I have a stupid question. Do they come with a charger? If not, I'm sure Thompson sells those also. Any recommendations? Ordered my SR71A last night and hope to have it this weekend. Appreciate the advice buddy.

Leo

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #529 of 674
They sell a nice charger for the 9 volt that will also charge a li-poly but it has a switch and you have to make sure that you have it on NiMH or the Li-poly when you charge. It will charge 4 batteries at once and does it in about 1.5 hours, which is great for 9 volt.

Oct 16, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #530 of 674
Quote:

They sell a nice charger for the 9 volt that will also charge a li-poly but it has a switch and you have to make sure that you have it on NiMH or the Li-poly when you charge. It will charge 4 batteries at once and does it in about 1.5 hours, which is great for 9 volt.

Thank you sir. Knew I could count on you.

Oct 16, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #531 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John, can you further differentiate the different between the Tysonic low discharge (200mah) and the Li-polymer (500 mah) in terms of sq? the 500 mah li-poly is attractive because of its capacity. But if the sq difference is big I'll stay with the tysonic. Thanks very much.

By the way, I just order a black bird.

I am not sure how to elaborate any more. The Tysonic low discharge battery as with the eneloop uses a different latice and chemical make up which leads to a much lower internal resistance. With lower resistance you have a more instant delivery of current, which in turn adds to the dynamics and transparency because of decreased smearing of frequencies. The Tysonic does this with the 71A and to my ear takes it to a level of refinement that totally adds to the enjoyment of the music. The 500mA is a good battery but does not deliver this refinement. I use it because there are times when this extra bit of musical quality isn't going to matter due to external forces when walking around etc.

Oct 16, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #532 of 674
This is a happy post about how the sound of the SR-71A is developing with use. At about 90 - 110 hours, the sound was really exciting from a portable - with texture, spectral balance and holographic soundstage that made my desktop rigs envious. Then, somewhere in the 120-130 hour range, the sound became bass-lite and less textured, but the highs became more extended and sublime. With those changes, I figured the caps were still coming into their own - and to wait for awhile to see how the sound developed. Well, since about 300 hours (I'm at about 330 hours now), the bass balance and textures have been returning, and the soundstage is enlarging without sounding in the least stretched-out and without the loss of any clarity or detail. The sound is still developing very nicely. I couldn't be more thrilled, and the sound is still coming in and improving daily. By day, the sound through this amp in my work rig with the Yuin PK1's is keeping my work day moving quickly and productively. By night, in my bedside rig with HD650, my listening is involving me in new ways because of the emotionally moving and engagingly detailed way that this amp presents my favorite music. The SR-71A is a special and valuable addition to my set of listening instruments.

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #533 of 674
Thanks for the feedback. For some reason there hasn't been a lot with this amp even though there must be around 300 out there by now.

Mine's at around 200 hours and I'm still having trouble deciding if I prefer the SR71 or SR71A. However, they are both unquestionably (to me)....great.

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #534 of 674
I will agree with the above. I thought that 200 hours would be the total time needed but I have noticed that the 71A has become even more delicate but it has bass authority. It would seem the good ole cap forms like many do, slowly and in the right direction.

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #535 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I'm still having trouble deciding if I prefer the SR71 or SR71A. However, they are both unquestionably (to me)....great.

Sounds like a grueling decision-making process to be involved in. Such things are, for sure, long and dirty work, but someone's got to take the time to do them right, so hang in there. Congratulations.

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #536 of 674
sbulack, i noticed you also have the KICAS Caliente. I know its not a fair comparison between a home amp vs portable amp. A home amp I would imagine in better. But from a price point of view the Caliente is actually cheaper than the SR-71A. What are some of the biggest sonic difference between both ?

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #537 of 674
I have 190 hours on mine, and have a question for other owners.

Using iPod 5.5G w/AIFF files > ALO AXC LOD > SR71A + 200ma low discharge batts > TF10, I am hearing a large difference in air and detail between the "low" and "medium" gain settings.

The low gain setting sounds muffled, which seems odd, since it would seem the choice when listening through IEMs. In almost every recording that I have A/B'ed the two settings, the medium gain is more open sounding.

Presentation sometimes favors low gain, as the medium sometimes puts things too much "in your face"

Can a resistor make such a big difference? Or is there more at work here?

Anyone else experiencing this?

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #538 of 674
Yes, resistors can make a difference. How have you burnt the amp? I ussually try to log 24 hours of continued use on each of the three settings so as to burn in the various resistors that are used.

In theory by the time I get to 500 hours of burn-in I will have about 170 hours on each of the settings. Is this the best method?
confused_face(1).gif
Heck if I know, but it is a method.
icon10.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #539 of 674
When I burn-in my Tomahawk, I cycled each gain setting, 23 hrs on HI gain then 23 hrs on LOW gain, 1 hour OFF to completely discharge the big capacitor. Since the volume control is just a variable resistor, I also cycled it on different settings.

Oct 17, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #540 of 674
Basically just plug in a load (IEM's) and let it run. 16 hours on, 8 hours off.

Ran it on the medium gain setting until I noticed the difference in sound, then exclusively on the low gain setting.

I keep the volume control in about the same place.

Is there something else I should be doing?

Or is this a characteristic of the amp? Seems like the sound should be the same at the different gain settings, when using the same listening device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back