Available - RSA "The Black Bird" SR-71A, Redesigned, Resized AMP images page 1,28, 33, 34, 39 . Mini review: 40, 41, 45 .
Oct 17, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #541 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sbulack, i noticed you also have the KICAS Caliente. ... What are some of the biggest sonic difference between both ?

My SR-71A is currently at about 345 hours of use and the sound it provides is still coming into its fullness in aspects and degrees that matter to my long-term enjoyment of it. Once the SR-71A attains to what my ear tells me is its fullest and stable sound (however long that takes) I will be comparing its presentation of music to that of my other "bedside rig" amps: KICAS Caliente and TTVJ Portable Millet Hybrid.

When a point has been reached (which will likely be sooner) at which I am pretty sure that the SR-71A has revealed all of the facets and character of its sonic presentation (and will be in what could be described as a potentially lengthy period of refinement of that presentation), I will be able to provide some reliable initial comparative highlights of the presentations of the SR-71A and KICAS Caliente. Until then, I'm just really enjoying hearing the sound of the SR-71A develop (as jamato8 put it so well) "slowly and in the right direction".

Oct 20, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #542 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the Predator to be a little more "Hornet-like" (which isn't all bad) but much prefer the SR71. The SR71 has more space and air to the sound, is less forward, and seems to pass along those little micro details better (at least to my ears).

I completely agree with this assessment.

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #543 of 674
My SR71A is at about the 430 hour mark (burn-in). It has continued to develop and IMO the upper mids and highs are much clearer and extended. Based on conversations w/ another head-fier it looks like the SR71A will continue to develop well into the 500-600 hour mark.

I will have close to 575 by mid Sunday and I hope to post here any new developments. Its sound continues to improve. :)

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #544 of 674
I talked to Ray today and am returning my SR-71A

I think the pricetag on the amp is a joke, by very far, and really that most all portable hifi is completely ridiculous. I'll save that whole spew for a seperate thread I'll open in this forum after this.

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #545 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the pricetag on the amp is a joke, by very far, and really that most all portable hifi is completely ridiculous. I'll save that whole spew for a seperate thread I'll open in this forum after this.

Wow. Is it that time of the month already? Or should I say, go easy on the juice man!
redface.gif

Oct 21, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #546 of 674
This hobby ain't for everybody. I would love to to the SR-71a if my wallet would let me. No hobby is perfect. Sorry Luminette the amp wasn't for you.

Oct 21, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #547 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicdiddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I opened my mouth too soon! I received an invoice from FedEx today for £18.43.
I can never understand why we have to pay these charges when buying from the USA, yet we do not get charged when buying goods from within the EU.

frown.gif
Just got the letter.

£18.43 also.

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #549 of 674
Quote:

I think the pricetag on the amp is a joke, by very far, and really that most all portable hifi is completely ridiculous .....

We all really do hear things differently.

Since crossing the 350 hours of use mark with the SR-71A, I've been looking over my pieces of stationary gear, wondering if I can sell any of them off, whether the performance I'm getting from "The Black Bird" has made any of them redundant.

When folks ask questions like, "What will <this or that piece of gear> do for my rig?" we need to keep instances like this in mind to remember just how differently we actually do hear things.

My wallet would surely be a LOT happier if I could only convince myself that I hear things like this Head-Fier.

...... As I cry out to the audio deity: Why ME ?!?!?

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #550 of 674
sbulack;4888713 said:
We all really do hear things differently.

Since crossing the 350 hours of use mark with the SR-71A, I've been looking over my pieces of stationary gear, wondering if I can sell any of them off, whether the performance I'm getting from "The Black Bird" has made any of them redundant.

QUOTE]

I agree with the above. Been really, really enjoying my SR-71A. Great piece of equipment for me, with my setup.

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #551 of 674
I won't poo on the thread and argue about stuff here. Any comments I'd have really should be covered in the "portable" link in my signature.

Oct 21, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #553 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My SR71A is at about the 430 hour mark (burn-in). It has continued to develop and IMO the upper mids and highs are much clearer and extended. Based on conversations w/ another head-fier it looks like the SR71A will continue to develop well into the 500-600 hour mark.

I will have close to 575 by mid Sunday and I hope to post here any new developments. Its sound continues to improve. :)

That's good to hear. I'll continue burning mine in. Mine has close to 200 hrs. At this point, the highs are not extended and seem a bit lacking espeically given the bass presence the amp has. So it doesn't seem balanced to my ears. Hoping burn in will change this. Please keep us posted on your impressions as your hit the 500/600 hr mark. Thanks.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #554 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's good to hear. I'll continue burning mine in. Mine has close to 200 hrs. At this point, the highs are not extended and seem a bit lacking espeically given the bass presence the amp has. So it doesn't seem balanced to my ears. Hoping burn in will change this. Please keep us posted on your impressions as your hit the 500/600 hr mark. Thanks.

Yes at about 200 hours, heck even 350 hours the SR71A had IMO the bass not in balance w/ the highs. I do look forward to the 550 or so mark. By then I will have an original SR71 for comparison.
smile.gif

Luminette, sorry w/ your disapointment w/ the SR71A. Better luck next time.

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #555 of 674
Quote:

I'm curious to know what Ray's response was.... i too am surprised at the price when you look at whats inside....maybe he puts a very high value on his time and thats what we're paying for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back