Available - RSA "The Black Bird" SR-71A, Redesigned, Resized AMP images page 1,28, 33, 34, 39 . Mini review: 40, 41, 45 .
Oct 22, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #556 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by omoanya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious to know what Ray's response was.... i too am surprised at the price when you look at whats inside....maybe he puts a very high value on his time and thats what we're paying for...

I'm sure some of the price covers his R&D time/expenses, and the fact that he does small runs of equipment requiring custom parts doesn't help either.

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #557 of 674
FWIW - I have serial number #0021, now with just over 600 hours on it. The sound didn't change much for me after 300 hours, but what I am noticing is that choice of LOD can make a huge difference in presentaion. For example, using an ALO Jumbo Cryo LOD yeilds a more bass heavy, softer and ever-so-slightly congested sound. But using a custom made LOD with Neotec 24AWG OCC Solid Silver wire offers excellent transparency and borders on a slightly dry and recessed signature. These are the extremes. I've also tried numerous other LODs but have yet to find one wire that (for my tastes) plays all genres of music well. I'm not unhappy with this as it's been a lot of fun experimenting!

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #558 of 674
It would seem the amp doing a good job of revealing the source of the signal.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #559 of 674
What is RSA's return policy ?

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #560 of 674
30 days I believe.

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #562 of 674
Not sure what happened here but several posts seemed to have been lost. I saved this and will try re-posting

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also don't find SR-71A to be anything closer to SR-71 which is too bad, as I really love the sound of original SR-71.

Can I assume from this you prefer the older SR-71 to the new SR-71A?

Since we have similar gear, what is your "favorite" amp with the UE11's, iMod and vcap? I find I like either my Lisa or PRII best - depends on the day. I liked the old SR-71 a lot but first the PRII then the Lisa sent it to the For Sale listings. I still sort of miss it and have some hopes the SR-71A would be as good but different then say the Lisa.

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #563 of 674
May be sort of off topic ...

And I don't own any R.S. "Emmeline" amps ...

But I do hail from the visual/industrial design domain and ... I just have to say:

"Ray. You've got game when it comes to deciding on the final visual/industrial product"

Really.

Your amps are some of the most well designed and visually appealing (right down to the screen printing) ... that I've seen.

Keep it up.

Hopefully I'll be privy to a demo of *any* of your gear here in the immediate future.

Best.

wink.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #564 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuge(original) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...if you were to select one amp b/w SR71A,Predator and hornet which one you will select ? I want it for my HD650 .

I've never heard The Predator or The Hornet. I CAN say, however, that The Black Bird drives the HD650 with real authority and sigh-inducing beauty. While the size of the soundstage of the SR71A and the depth of its dynamic range do not match those of my stationary amps, if I do not switch between the SR71A and one of my stationary amps, it is very easy for me to forget, as I am listening, that I am not listening to the nearest stationary amp. In fact, I have adjusted the pot on a stationary amp (with a puzzling lack of effect) more than a few times while listening to the SR-71A in the proximity of one. While I cannot say whether The Predator or The Hornet would be a better choice for the HD650 for you (especially if size and battery life are factored in as well as SQ), I can say that, IMO, for the SQ, The Black Bird is a great choice for it.

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #565 of 674
That is funny. I have done the same thing in reaching for the volume of the Woo 6 to be momentarily confused only to realize I was plugged into the 71A.

The Predator is very enjoyable and musical and works fine with the 650's but I would prefer the 71A. You would have to act fairly fast though as I understand the run of limited quantity is almost done.

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #566 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May be sort of off topic ...

And I don't own any R.S. "Emmeline" amps ...

But I do hail from the visual/industrial design domain and ... I just have to say:

"Ray. You've got game when it comes to deciding on the final visual/industrial product"

Really.

Your amps are some of the most well designed and visually appealing (right down to the screen printing) ... that I've seen.

Keep it up.

Hopefully I'll be privy to a demo of *any* of your gear here in the immediate future.

Best.

wink.gif

True that! Aside from being a fan of the Ray Samuel's sound signature, I gotta admit that Ray's stuff has phenomenal build quality and killer design that looks classy as well. His amps actually "look" like they sound good and they do!

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #567 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuge(original) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I have question for you all and for jamato as well :

if you were to select one amp b/w SR71A,Predator and hornet which one you will select ?

I want it for my HD650 .

I'm a fan of all three, but would pick the SR71A in a heartbeat over the others if sound quality was the only issue.

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #568 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a fan of all three, but would pick the SR71A in a heartbeat over the others if sound quality was the only issue.

Having owned all three amps...I concur.

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #569 of 674
Funny...I was listening to my SR-71A yesterday with my HD600's and I thought I'd adjust the volume, and for a split second I looked up at my XP-7! As if that is what I was plugged into. Looks like this must be a common symptom of the SR-71A, tricking it's listeners into believing it is a larger home amp. What a tricky little amp indeed!

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #570 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by WaxMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny...I was listening to my SR-71A yesterday with my HD600's and I thought I'd adjust the volume, and for a split second I looked up at my XP-7! As if that is what I was plugged into. Looks like this must be a common symptom of the SR-71A, tricking it's listeners into believing it is a larger home amp. What a tricky little amp indeed!

Yep, and when taken on the road what a treat! I have been using lossless files as always and just get a kick out of the sound as I am walking or riding (bike in a safe area). Maybe I listen to too much music. . . . . nah. . . :^)

In a strange way I feel bad because I know this is a limited run do to availability of parts. I hope the amp will be made again for those who come late to the party and there are none available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back