Available - RSA "The Black Bird" SR-71A, Redesigned, Resized AMP images page 1,28, 33, 34, 39 . Mini review: 40, 41, 45 .
Oct 9, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #498 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by wynn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice review
im still planing on sr-71a or predator

Predator is a faster amp, really good for fast music, IMO. But SR-71A is an overall better amp for all purpose.

If your main goal is to listen to always R&B, Rock, Rap, Disco, Metal, I personally would recommend the predator. The Bass for predator is very tight very deep and very fast and very punchy. The midrange and high is more like Grado type upfront. The SR-71A bass might be a little overblown for some people depending on the source and Cans being used. SR-71A bass is earth shattering(perhaps due to the natural decay) and deep, but a little less tight and a little slower than the predator. I personally prefer the articulation of SR-71A bass but with the tightness and punchiness of the Predator. Believe it or not the Bass of SR-71A articulates, it's got this bouncy feeling to it.

If your main goal is to listen to Classical Music, complex passages, SR-71A IS TOP NOTCH!!! I have never heard a passage being conveyed as such in a portable system: very rich, Deeply layered, detailed, Separated, Very WideSoundstage. The sound feels all around you instead of just in front of you. It's certainly jaw dropping experience.

Another thing is SR-71A looks huge to the predator in comparison.
@120hrs SR-71A, the Predator still has better air compared to the SR-71A.

Note: UE11-Pro users, make sure you have a superb seal with your UE11-Pro. If you don't, SR-71A may sound boomy. I don't have this problem with the predator, but with SR-71A the minute the seal is off just by a bit, the bass became so loose and boomy. With perfect seal, the bass is a lot tighter, a lot cleaner, and deep.

Oct 9, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #499 of 674
Hi John,

Are those Sanyo Batteries sound even better than Regular Alkaline Duracell Ultra Battery?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have a Hornet but I can't see why they wouldn't sound great. I use the eneloop AA and AAA, which are the Sanyo low discharge batteries and they sound better than anything else in my Monica II dac and the AAA in the iBasso and Xin amps. I am going to pick up another pair of the Tysonic and some more of the eneloop as the low discharge batteries just seem to last longer after repeated charges.

I do not believe you have heard the full potential of the 71A until you have used the Tysonic or whatever other low discharge 9 volts come out. Maybe it is the chemistry but I also understand they have a very low internal resistance even though other rechargeables already have a very low internal resistance.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #500 of 674
jlingo, you're probably right. i don't have a predator but comparing to the hornet. sr71a is in another league. better in every way but it's not as fun as the hornet.

one thing, i was expecting a no noise background even when i stop/pause the music from my 4th and 6th gen ipod with alo lineout but when i stop/pause the music, i can hear a slight noise. it's not bothering me but, it's there. by the way i'm using low gain with super-fi 5 pro and triple-fi.

one more thing, i was using hd600 and i didn't expect a small amp like this to sound so good.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #501 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jlingo, you're probably right. i don't have a predator but comparing to the hornet. sr71a is in another league. better in every way but it's not as fun as the hornet.

one thing, i was expecting a no noise background even when i stop/pause the music from my 4th and 6th gen ipod with alo lineout but when i stop/pause the music, i can hear a slight noise. it's not bothering me but, it's there. by the way i'm using low gain with super-fi 5 pro and triple-fi.

one more thing, i was using hd600 and i didn't expect a small amp like this to sound so good.

You are very right about the white noise. I didn't notice that using the UE11-Pro until you mentioned. It's so little and it didn't bother me at all whatsoever. Nothing to worry about.
Yup I guess the fun factor is a good term to use. SR-71A(Slowest) -> Predator -> Hornet(The fastest) is like comparing the Sennheiser HD650 with the Grado. At least that's how it sounds to my ears.

Again I was using UE11-Pro to test. I haven't used my Ultrasone Edition 9 yet. Therefore can't really comment on that combination.

Oct 9, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #502 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not believe you have heard the full potential of the 71A until you have used the Tysonic or whatever other low discharge 9 volts come out. Maybe it is the chemistry but I also understand they have a very low internal resistance even though other rechargeables already have a very low internal resistance.

Here's a two year old quote from Ray...I wonder if the SR71A is any different (or the current availability of low discharge rechargeables)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Emmeline SR-71 was designed & tweaked using nothing but 2X 9V Duracell copper top batteries. I have seen others using 2 Tysonic, 250ma or 2 Accu-power 270ma rechargeable batteries with good results. Voltage of the batteries does not make any difference in the SR-71, the 2 types rechargeable batteries mentioned above, will give the SR-71, 12-15 hours of play time. Good alkaline gives 70-75 hours of play time, 2 lithium ion give 120 hours of play time.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #503 of 674
I am using the li-poly rechargeables and like the low discharge, the bass is slam hard and well defined. Very, very fast and articulate. This amp is powering my Ultrasone Ed. 9's very fine.

I still prefer the low discharge but the li-poly do a very good job and the amp rocks!

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #505 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it too soon to ask for a comparison between 71A and Lisa? Sound quality only.

It would be an interesting comparison but IMO it would not be fair considering the MSRP difference between the two.

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #506 of 674
I don't see much on the Lisa lately. Is it still being sold?

edit: I went to their web page. I just don't see too much on Head Fi regarding the amp like when it first came out.

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #508 of 674
Why did you sell the Lisa?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back