Available Now: The Element by JDS Labs
Jun 22, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #95 of 124
Awesome clarification thank you so much for explaining!!!
Quote:

You connect the dac/amp like so: iPhone/iPad > camera adapter kit > lightening cable > jsd element > headphones. note that there is two different camera kits (one for the old pin layout and one for the new lightening port). You will need that adapter for usage with most dacs.* When the Element (or any other external dac) is connected to your device, the external dac will be used instead of the internal dac of the iPhone/iPad.

*There are some nice dac/amps that allow you to just plug in via a lightening cable (such as the $129 cozoy astrapi and $299 oppo ha-2). both are portable devices, but can be used in desktop set-ups as well.

Whether you need an external dac is up to you. The Asgard 2 is an amplifier only. It outputs 1W RMS per channel at 32 ohms & 190mW RMS/channel at 600 ohms, so power-wise it is quite similar. JDS Element has 1.1W RMS/channel at 32 ohms and 140mW at 600 ohms. Both should provide ample power for most dynamic headphones.

Jun 30, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #98 of 124

I thought I saw a glow there in one of the pics. Impressive! 

That was likely an effect from the camera flash (no power cord in any photos). Photos are tricky.

Found this picture. It shows what appears to be a strip running from 6 o'clock to 3 o'clock that illuminates to the degree that the volume is set. Of course, this could just be a way of visually representing gain, especially given that the amp isn't plugged into anything. Still, it's gotten be wondering if this is how the volume know is illuminated. 

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #99 of 124

Found this picture. It shows what appears to be a strip running from 6 o'clock to 3 o'clock that illuminates to the degree that the volume is set. Of course, this could just be a way of visually representing gain, especially given that the amp isn't plugged into anything. Still, it's gotten be wondering if this is how the volume know is illuminated. 

That is a long gone concept drawing from 2014.

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #100 of 124

That is a long gone concept drawing from 2014.

Ah, that's too bad. I like the concept. 

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #101 of 124
  Ah, that's too bad. I like the concept. 

That probably would've added some unnecessary cost and maybe even electronic noise to the device, so it's probably best that it was scrapped.

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #104 of 124
With such good DAC it should come with a line out.
With such good amp it should come with a line in.

Personally, without both I won't even consider the product.

Now into the even more petty complaints:
- Looking at the design, seems like it'd be a nice idea to have the headphone plug (out) at the top, instead of at the bottom. That way it could be used vertically. I might be completely wrong though.
- The knob could be slightly better, as reported in the Headfonia review.
- Also and I alike them, I'd like complete labeling.
- "Element" > "The Element".
- edit: And two more things, based on posts in another thread: 24/192 support (that practically no one uses -- despite what people post), and a bass boost button (that I will never use, but the word "bass" sells).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back