Auzentech X-fi Bravura 7.1 Sneak Peek
Mar 12, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #226 of 447
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you using for your output plugins? Are you using foobar or winamp?
What OS?

Using Windows 7. Right now im using just my headphones but waiting on my cable to come in to connect my AV40's. Might throw a small sub into the mix. I think its cool you can set a cutoff on the headphones for the bass. What I dont know is the slope they are using on that cutoff and will I have this option to cut the low freq going to my AV40's? This would be really neat to let the sub provide bass and stop the AV40s from going into distortion early because of heavy bass tracks. I am fairly familiar with car audio using crossovers etc. Thx for any advice. Now that I turned off CMSS3D it sounds almost a little to laid back. Seems like CMSS3D helps gaming though. I will download Foobar.. is it better then winamp? I normally just use Windows Media player lately. Part of me wishes I had gotten the Forte but not sure if the amp is as strong on that one and the upgradeable OPamps sounds like some mod fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow.. dual 627 is pricey. The dual socket is wider on this one then the one on page 10 of this thread. Is a single 627 still an upgrade?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-to-Mono-Opa...item53da79d0a1

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #227 of 447
CMSS is essential for many when gaming over headphones as it virtualizes a surround enivorment. You can hear sounds from behind..side, front..different elevations...etc.
EAX/OpenAL games usually work the best with such technologies.
For normal music, I would leave such processing off.
Foobar is a great player but can be a bit tricky for beginners.
The amps are pretty much the same on both cards although the Bravura allows you to modify the signature of the amp using opamps.
There are different sockets depending on what version of the chip you go with.
There are smaller surface mount units(SOIC8), Through hole units (DIP8) and metal can units (TO-99)

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #228 of 447
Quote:

CMSS is essential for many when gaming over headphones as it virtualizes a surround enivorment. You can hear sounds from behind..side, front..different elevations...etc.
EAX/OpenAL games usually work the best with such technologies.
For normal music, I would leave such processing off.
Foobar is a great player but can be a bit tricky for beginners.
The amps are pretty much the same on both cards although the Bravura allows you to modify the signature of the amp using opamps.
There are different sockets depending on what version of the chip you go with.
There are smaller surface mount units(SOIC8), Through hole units (DIP8) and metal can units (TO-99)

Thanks this clears things up for me. This card works for me
smily_headphones1.gif
. I saw teh smaller opamp units. There is a double sided version with a chip above and chip under 2 x OPA627. Are these as good as the full size units? I found those for about 32$ on ebay. Think they are worth a try? I am trying to get the sound as close to my Zero as possible.

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #229 of 447
They are basically the same. Just different package types. Although the metal can units are considered to be the best out of any opamp family. What are you modding the headphones output opamp?

Mar 12, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #230 of 447
Quote:

They are basically the same. Just different package types. Although the metal can units are considered to be the best out of any opamp family. What are you modding the headphones output opamp?

Honestly I just want something to play with and learn the different sounds of the opamps. I am sure the Front 2ch is where I should start. This is what will be driving my AV40s. Can you tell me if this opamp would be a good choice to play with?

Two 2x Mono to Dual OPAMP 2x OPA627 -> NE5532 OPA2604 - eBay (item 160384940162 end time Apr-05-10 10:20:02 PDT)

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #231 of 447
I just got this card off newegg yesterday, listening to it using the built in headphone amp. It is much better than my Saffire LE! Works fine with Windows 7 64bit as well, have not had any issues.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #232 of 447
Quote:

Originally Posted by Copyright /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly I just want something to play with and learn the different sounds of the opamps. I am sure the Front 2ch is where I should start. This is what will be driving my AV40s. Can you tell me if this opamp would be a good choice to play with?

Two 2x Mono to Dual OPAMP 2x OPA627 -> NE5532 OPA2604 - eBay (item 160384940162 end time Apr-05-10 10:20:02 PDT)

Well, if you are using headphones, then start with that. If you go with the fronts then you lose the headphone amplifer or your using speakers perhaps.
The only way to test is to sit down with some opamps and some known tunes and test.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #233 of 447
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tantalus000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got this card off newegg yesterday, listening to it using the built in headphone amp. It is much better than my Saffire LE! Works fine with Windows 7 64bit as well, have not had any issues.

I found the Bravura very solid when testing and it has great sound for stock.
I use my own custom built opamps for some higher level tuning.

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #234 of 447
Quote:

Well, if you are using headphones, then start with that. If you go with the fronts then you lose the headphone amplifer or your using speakers perhaps.
The only way to test is to sit down with some opamps and some known tunes and test.

Not sure what you mean by loseing the headphone amplifier? I will be using both. I thought the front output and headphone amplifier use seperate opamps? Opamp should still effect teh sound to my AV40s correct? They are self powered. Looks like Auzentech sells the opamp I listed for ~65$ and I can get it for half that on ebay so might buy one and play with it. The more I listen to the headphones the more impressive this card seems. From what Ive been reading its the other opamps that probably need playing with. Just waiting on my stupid cable to come in to hook up the AV40s!

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #236 of 447
you might as well use OPA627BP, it's a higher grade.

DSC141.jpg

I've just received a double AD797BR module from this chinese ebay seller, one of the pins of the bottom chip is poorly soldered.

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #237 of 447
Quote:

I found the Bravura very solid when testing and it has great sound for stock.
I use my own custom built opamps for some higher level tuning.

I'll definitely be getting some different opamps to play with, the stock ones are pretty good I must say. Can I plug the headphone out into a headphone amplifier to get it louder though? Or would I have to use one of the other outputs into a headphone amp?

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #238 of 447
Quote:

Originally Posted by Copyright /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure what you mean by loseing the headphone amplifier? I will be using both. I thought the front output and headphone amplifier use seperate opamps? Opamp should still effect teh sound to my AV40s correct? They are self powered. Looks like Auzentech sells the opamp I listed for ~65$ and I can get it for half that on ebay so might buy one and play with it. The more I listen to the headphones the more impressive this card seems. From what Ive been reading its the other opamps that probably need playing with. Just waiting on my stupid cable to come in to hook up the AV40s!

I just meant if you use the front output you no longer have the amplifer on the output.
For opamps the Bravura is set up like this(stock):

Headphones output ->LME49720NA
Front Output-> NJM5532
Rear Output->NJM5532
Center/Sub->JRC4580
Side->NJM5532

If you are using headphones only, then change the one for the can amp. If you are using both cans and speaker you can change them all out. I like the 627/637 but I like others more and I have the highest grade of 627/637s available. Don't get me wrong they are great opamps but there are many great opamps around.

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #239 of 447
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tantalus000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll definitely be getting some different opamps to play with, the stock ones are pretty good I must say. Can I plug the headphone out into a headphone amplifier to get it louder though? Or would I have to use one of the other outputs into a headphone amp?

I use custom built opamps for every output on that card.
Yes, you plug the headphones into the 1/4" output. The top opamp is for the can amp.

If you want to drive an external headphone amplifer, you would connect that to the line outputs.
I have seen people driving one headphone amp using the output of another but that can cause trouble with distortion and lower your SNR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back