Auzentech X-fi Bravura 7.1 Sneak Peek
Mar 6, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #197 of 447
Quote:

Originally Posted by kumaiti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to route the Analog input directly to the amp, bypassing ADC > DAC conversion?

It would depend on how the card handles analog input.
However, most cards will allow realtime monitoring. Just listening to the analog input without and undo processing.

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #198 of 447
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would depend on how the card handles analog input.
However, most cards will allow realtime monitoring. Just listening to the analog input without and undo processing.

Any chance you could test this?

It would be a wonderful way to cheat it into working as a "standalone" amp for external sources.

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #199 of 447
Quote:

Originally Posted by kumaiti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any chance you could test this?

It would be a wonderful way to cheat it into working as a "standalone" amp for external sources.

I just tested to make sure.
I set the Flexi-Jack to line input.
I connected up a Mp3 player I had using 3.5mm to 3.5mm and
I hear the music over the headphoner which are connected to
the headphone amplifer.

I wouldn't call it cheating, most soundcards work in a similar way
Allowing you to direct monitor the input as I use alot of external gear on soundcards and external devices so I use the line inputs all the time on different devices.

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #202 of 447
Quote:

I just tested to make sure.
I set the Flexi-Jack to line input.
I connected up a Mp3 player I had using 3.5mm to 3.5mm and
I hear the music over the headphoner which are connected to
the headphone amplifer.

I wouldn't call it cheating, most soundcards work in a similar way
Allowing you to direct monitor the input as I use alot of external gear on soundcards and external devices so I use the line inputs all the time on different devices.

While monitoring is allowed on the Essense STX for example the quality of the direct monitoring when monitoring through the soundcard driver monitoring function can be reduced as it is on the STX. It is 16 bit with no dither on the STX. 16 bit & no dither = massive distortion at very low levels.

Using the listen tab in the recording sound properties tab for the line in with everything set for 24 bit audio results in the best quality monitoring. this is full 24 bit monitoring. Those that complained about excess noise when monitoring through the listen tab did not have everything set to 24 bit audio. if anything is set to 16 bit audio that is active in the audio chain & you are using the monitoring though the lisen tab the audio is 16 bit with dither which is noisy but has less distortion than than without dither.

I do not know if the Auzentech cards are this way & I no way of testing it as I do not have one.

Mar 8, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #203 of 447
It is not a feature I use often. I consider this feature to be similar to the monitor feature on mixers. It is really just there to check the signal....nothing fancy.
Just so you can monitor the input. When I check ed the monitor on the Bravura, there was no noticeable distortion, it may have been there but not to the ponit that it was easily heard.
Thanx for the info.

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #204 of 447
Quote:

It is not a feature I use often. I consider this feature to be similar to the monitor feature on mixers. It is really just there to check the signal....nothing fancy.
Just so you can monitor the input. When I check ed the monitor on the Bravura, there was no noticeable distortion, it may have been there but not to the ponit that it was easily heard.
Thanx for the info.

The distortion is only noticable at extremely low recording levels & the ouput at high gain levels. Dither is noticable under the same conditions. Admittedly these are pretty unreasonable levels except with some classical music that is recorded at very high dynamic range that has lots of very soft recording time & explosive peaks. These conditions almost never exist in pop or rock music. Mostly these types of recordings they compress & limit the hell out of them so they are louder than anyone elses or so they think. Quality goes out the window with these.

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #205 of 447
I'm using this card for a few days now, and I think it's breaking in, it's quite strange but I'm enjoying a very pleasant analog-like sound, it's like I'm listening to tapes, honestly. Those guys from Auzen seem to know how to do it. And the difference from this card to my old X-Fi Gamer is like from heaven to earth, it's like the Bravura is in a totally different and higher league. I'm so pleased with it.

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #206 of 447
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulienS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using this card for a few days now, and I think it's breaking in, it's quite strange but I'm enjoying a very pleasant analog-like sound, it's like I'm listening to tapes, honestly. Those guys from Auzen seem to know how to do it. And the difference from this card to my old X-Fi Gamer is like from heaven to earth, it's like the Bravura is in a totally different and higher league. I'm so pleased with it.

Sure, the Bravura has a great sound. Auzentech seem to build their cards to have a good signature over having the best possible specs.
The Bravura 7.1 has a very warm analog type sound, without losing any clarity.

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #207 of 447
Ok, I sold my Creative X-fi fataility titanium pro and Zero DAC to give this card a try. I realize it wont have the power my Zero had but to be honest I didn't turn it up all that loud. I have Denon D2000 headphones I love and I am hoping they sound card just powered off the card. Can someone let me know if an opamp upgrade would be recommended with this setup? I use M-Audio AV40's on my desk also. I believe my ZERO had the OPA627? I know it was the upgraded one. Thx for any advice. I am more or less trying to simplify my setup by removing the external amp from my setup. This thread has been a great read so far.

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #208 of 447
i still have my titanium fatality pro and ordered a bravura.. everything in my sig except the cables are gone too
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #210 of 447
a friend of mine w/ a grado said that the Forte 7.1 had killed his modded zero in the blink of an eye....OTOH the Grado's are not exactly famous for their amazing SS, so YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back