Authenticity of my new Sony MDR-V6...?
May 6, 2010 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

boutboulman

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! I hope it's ok to use my very first post to ask a question/favour... I recently bought a pair of Sony MDR-V6, and since I didn't get them from an official retailer (to say the least: eBay), it would be nice to be absolutely sure they aren't fake. In my relatively uninformed opinion they sound pretty good, and seem real enough to me, yet there maybe are a couple things I find weird.
Is it cool if I post a bunch of pictures? And then anyone who owns some V6s, particularly if they have bought them recently, can help me decide if the seller gets positive feedback or not!
smile_phones.gif

EDIT: Any suggestions as to what I should take close-up pictures of in particular?

PS: I decided on MDR-V6 because I want to work in radio, and it makes me look like more of a pro ^^

Thanks all! William

May 6, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 13
Have never heard of fake V6 before but congrats, you'll well be satisfied by their neutrality. Get some DT250 pads too. Check out www.fakeheadphones.com, if there's fake V6, they'll 80% be on that website. Personally I don't think it's possible :) 

May 6, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 13
Also, I've never heard of fakes. These are so below the radar, it's not funny. I got the velour DT250 pads, and I find them nice enough. They have NO soundstage, but they sound great.

I recommend going to Sweetwater.com for the DT250 pads. They charge $18.50 USD, and give free shipping CONUS.

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 13
A relevant issue. I got a pair recently, made in China. I've seen pairs made in Japan and Malaysia, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony moved manufacture to China.

Where are your V6s made? And what does Sony say?

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #5 of 13
Did you buy the ones going on ebay for about 25 pounds? I was wondering if these were fake:
http://tinyurl.com/3ab82oc

There are a lot of them at the same price from different sellers from China.

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 13
Right.

At the time I do remember doing a bit of research and seeing that Sony had moved production from one country to another. My headphones say, the other side of the L (for left): MADE IN CHINA. On the other hand, on the bottom-left of the back of the box, it says Made in Thailand. I don't know what to think of that. I don't have the manual to hand, but I'm pretty sure that also said Thailand.

The three auctions linked to at the start of http://www.fakeheadphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=780.0 are much cheaper than what I payed for my V6s, which was 45GBP, which is about 70USD. Cheaper than on Amazon, but certainly not to the ridiculous degree that the ones linked to are.
I had a look to see if the original listing that I purchased was still there, and it is. Many photos have been added since.
I am by no means an expert, but as far as I can tell from the sound and the response mine are real.
Here's the listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-SONY-MDR-V6-DJ-STUDIO-MONITOR-PROFESSIONAL-HEADPHON_W0QQitemZ270625228603QQihZ017QQcategoryZ112529QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
For some reason it also now has an extra crap-ton of adverts, but whatever.

Lastly, I'd like to think there is a way of telling fake from real on more than just the price. For example, I would imagine that these were real, when they were still on sale: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665090031&SR=sony_search_seo&SQS=mdr-v6

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #9 of 13
The V6 is not uncomplicated to copy and is the market big enough for the effort? I would be happy to supply photos of relevant details if anyone has noticed differences between the true originals and the recent China version I bought. Looking at photos of original V6s or MDR-7506 (for instance at Thomann), my V6s look very, very similar. The sound is familiar to my remembrance of older 7506s, but the upper bass/lower midrange dip seems a bit pronounced. However, it could also be that Sony is using their later driver model with extended high frequency response.

Being in Europe it's difficult for me to e-mail Sony USA and Japan asking which country they are manufatured  in now, but I'm sure many of you could take this step.

Let's find out the truth!

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 13
How does the pair you bought compare to the counterfeit pair I bought?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/510110/sony-mdr-v6-counterfeit-comparison-thread-w-pics

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #11 of 13
I got one of those fake V6... It was retail for $55 (shipping included)...
but I only paid  5 dollar which was for the shipping as it was a replacement for another can that I didn't like...
But I can say this for sure... this fake v6 sounds very very good indeed...

And if you wanna know how do I know that it was fake... its because the seller said so himself...
I originally bought his XB700 but then I didn't like the sound, so the seller send me the V6  as replacement...
he also has a lot of fake sony and sennheiser products for sale...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back