Australian Tour & Impressions - Astrotec AX60 - Hybrid 3-way Universal IEM (2 x BA + Dynamic Driver)
Nov 1, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #31 of 187
I told you guys this thing sounds decent.

Also apologies about the the ear tip, I swear I thought I used my sony hybrid on them and I did not checked them again when I had them packed and ready for shipping late Monday night. 

The amp has a nice warmness to it without every been boomy, believe me I tried to make it go bom bom but it just didn't. I do not know how much it will be selling for so I cannot comment how I would rate it for its selling price but AX60 will be a solid first time purchase for those who want a nice sounding IEM for universal purpose. Ofcourse as a consumer a lower price is always welcome but than again how does one can put a price tag on sound so once again it matter of whether AX60 is in your price budget or not. 

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #32 of 187
I ve got them since a month!thanks astrotec and Charles!
First I ve got some difficulties to fit well but after few minutes I found the right position!
My first impression (with my iPod plus my RSA):
- good impact
- I love the soundstage (3d)
- the treble could be sound little metallic!

And after a period of burn in my impressions has changed a little bit!
First I bought a clip zip (for my test with different sources)
And I can say that the association is quite good!
The overall tuning is quite warn !
The treble is absolutly not aggressive!
The mids is correct
The bass is impactfull (it's a dynamic driver)!little muddy (but I think it's the clip ZIP)
But the soundstage I absolutly love it!
The 3d aspect is quite well!
The isolation is also good.(I didn't hear street sound)
I would say astrotec make a good job!

Warning : Some difficulty to fit well (it depends of your ears)
But if you put them well I think you will like the sound you hear (just with clip ZIP!)

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #33 of 187
The amp has a nice warmness to it without every been boomy, believe me I tried to make it go bom bom but it just didn't. I do not know how much it will be selling for so I cannot comment how I would rate it for its selling price but AX60 will be a solid first time purchase for those who want a nice sounding IEM for universal purpose. Ofcourse as a consumer a lower price is always welcome but than again how does one can put a price tag on sound so once again it matter of whether AX60 is in your price budget or not. 

Just for those interested in the Project Palaios Iona amp, more information can be found here:

http://www.noisymotel.com/search.asp?BrandID=65

Stock is also expected around early to mid-November.  You guys can pm me if you need any further info.

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #34 of 187
I ve got them since a month!thanks astrotec and Charles!
First I ve got some difficulties to fit well but after few minutes I found the right position!
My first impression (with my iPod plus my RSA):
- good impact
- I love the soundstage (3d)
- the treble could be sound little metallic!

And after a period of burn in my impressions has changed a little bit!
First I bought a clip zip (for my test with different sources)
And I can say that the association is quite good!
The overall tuning is quite warn !
The treble is absolutly not aggressive!
The mids is correct
The bass is impactfull (it's a dynamic driver)!little muddy (but I think it's the clip ZIP)
But the soundstage I absolutly love it!
The 3d aspect is quite well!
The isolation is also good.(I didn't hear street sound)
I would say astrotec make a good job!

Warning : Some difficulty to fit well (it depends of your ears)
But if you put them well I think you will like the sound you hear (just with clip ZIP!)

They pair nicely with $100 Colorfly C3 if you're ever looking to upgrade from the Zip, at 12ohms C3 drives them well. I think you're right though the bass can get a little loose depending on genre, but it's really not much to be bothersome, I would much rather a slightly loose low end than being overdosed with mid-bass, and there's none of that here I can detect. 

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #37 of 187
So all you guys like it, eh?

Were my standards really set too high when I listened to them? I didn't really like them even without directly A/Bing them against the K3003 (and not against CIEMs either, but against the RE-262 and ACS T15, both cheaper than the AX60, and while they weren't better, I preferred their sound signatures), but I guess it's that I only like two signatures: ultra-analytical or mid-centric/laid-back, and the AX60 is neither.

I keep thinking I should give them a second chance, but I don't think I'm keeping them once the tour (the globetrotting-but-really-mostly-in-the-US-tour) is over.

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #38 of 187
I think they pretty good, won't have the absolute detail of something truly high end but they make up for it in overall presentation, such as cohesiveness around the mid range and well layed out imaging. I think it's a pretty neat package, personally. I'd like to summon a few more impressions than just mine though. I'd be interested what the others think.

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #39 of 187
I'm not trying to shoot it down, or anything, but don't you think that if they'd just made some minor improvements (that don't cost a lot of money or increase in BOM), it'd be a lot better?

They spent so much effort already --- it's like they suddenly got tired and decided to stop, 95% of the way.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #40 of 187
I'm not trying to shoot it down, or anything, but don't you think that if they'd just made some minor improvements (that don't cost a lot of money or increase in BOM), it'd be a lot better?

They spent so much effort already --- it's like they suddenly got tired and decided to stop, 95% of the way.

I understand. :)

The only thing I would like personally is really just personal preference for example I would rather slightly brighter tonality, try and enhance the clarity a little more and extract some extra detail out of the mid range and as another member mentioned tighten the low end with better speed. I'll listenn some more Tom, see if I can catch anything, I'm also rather overwhelmed today with so much gear here such as the Stage Divers.

What didn't you like about them?

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #41 of 187
  What didn't you like about them?

I too thought the mids were quite detailed, but they were veiled by the slow bass. I noted that I thought there was a timing incoherence between the bass driver and the BA (before Rin's measurements came out), and there was, unfortunately. The bass is just slow --- it always felt half-a-beat-late to me, and that really bothered me a lot.

I also thought that they probably shouldn't have adopted the free-floating silicone tubing design, since the free-floating character would contribute to distortion (though I'd love to see someone mod it with a FitEar titanium tube, heh). Anyway, you can read my impressions in the other thread (it's hidden, because I didn't want my aura of negativity tainting others).

If you want a brighter tonality, I actually prefer the AX60 completely without filters; it sounds more coherent and detailed, but the bass gets taken up a couple notches as well.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #42 of 187

I too thought the mids were quite detailed, but they were veiled by the slow bass. I noted that I thought there was a timing incoherence between the bass driver and the BA (before Rin's measurements came out), and there was, unfortunately. The bass is just slow --- it always felt half-a-beat-late to me, and that really bothered me a lot.

I also thought that they probably shouldn't have adopted the free-floating silicone tubing design, since the free-floating character would contribute to distortion (though I'd love to see someone mod it with a FitEar titanium tube, heh). Anyway, you can read my impressions in the other thread (it's hidden, because I didn't want my aura of negativity tainting others).

If you want a brighter tonality, I actually prefer the AX60 completely without filters; it sounds more coherent and detailed, but the bass gets taken up a couple notches as well.

I'll test it with some faster EDM and see if I can pick up that disjointed bass, but nope I didn't pick up on that, sounded ok to me. 
biggrin.gif
 The veiled part of the mid-range I can hear but not so much because of the bass clouding,, it more sounds a like warmth to me or a protection layer to ease fatigue. (that's what I'd like lifted to enhance the detail extension) I will say though the little Colourfly suffers some low end roll-off and that may be helping subside the bass being overly prominent. 

Damnit, I'll probably hear that disjointed bass now! Damn you Tomscy! 

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #43 of 187
  I'll test it with some faster EDM and see if I can pick up that disjointed bass, but nope I didn't pick up on that, sounded ok to me. 
biggrin.gif
 The veiled part of the mid-range I can hear but not so much because of the bass clouding,, it more sounds a like warmth to me or a protection layer to ease fatigue. (that's what I'd like lifted to enhance the detail extension) I will say though the little Colourfly suffers some low end roll-off and that may be helping subside the bass being overly prominent. 
Damnit, I'll probably hear that disjointed bass now! Damn you Tomscy!

I actually really like the bass extension on the AX60 --- quantity-wise a little too much for me, but it's well-extended, so hip-hop/R&B sounds quite good because of the reverberant sub-bass. Don't worry about the bass thing, as long as you enjoy what you're hearing. Apparently, only I have this issue with it? I'm pretty sure only I would complain about something like that...

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #44 of 187

Your standards are seriously too high!!  
triportsad.gif

Pairing it with an amp could make the situation (technically) much better
wink.gif

As hinted by the official blog ax-60 is designed to be driven by an amp or players of high output, though some do like it on players like clip+
blink.gif

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #45 of 187
Ohh...I so can't wait for my turn, all these technical discussions just wet my appetites even more.

It would be really good to do a direct comparison with Dunu DN1000, as I have been absolutely spoiled by the beauty of the signature, and I have been using this exclusively for the last 6 weeks

This AX-60 cost double of the Dunu's, so yeah...should be one hell of a comparison

Users who are viewing this thread

Back