Australian Tour & Impressions - Astrotec AX60 - Hybrid 3-way Universal IEM (2 x BA + Dynamic Driver)
Oct 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 187

billymav

Member of the Trade: Noisy Motel
As the title suggests guys and gals, we're organising an Australian tour of the Astrotec AX60 Hybrid 3-way Universal IEM.

Here's your chance to experience the AX60 and write some impressions within this thread.

A brief description on the AX60:

Australian RRP is $399

The Astrotec AX60 is a triple-driver hybrid earphone, consisting of a specially designed high efficiency dynamic driver and a specially customised high-end dual-balanced armature from Knowles. The result is an exceptional sounding headphone, with a crisp and detailed signature, without sacrificing deep lows.

Features:
  1. 10mm Dynamic Driver to provide clean and detailed bass with quick response
  2. Top-end Customised dual-balanced armature from Knowles
  3. The AX60 is the first patented hybrid headphone developed and Made in China
  4. Months of research and tests plus modifications with the help of audiophile communities in China
  5. Special crossover technology which minimizes spikes and allows great extension and sound stage
  6. Dynamic and well extended sound
  7. Top tier metal processing technology and framework inside the iem
  8. Specially tuned "Galaxy" cable which is soft yet tough, the cable is made of 5 different materials including a fine match of copper wires and shielding materials used in military/medical use such as Teflon, which efficiently provides good shielding and excellent sound quality.
  9. Changeable filter which allows users to tune themselves, or to DIY, adding materials to the filter.
  10. Users can choose between the provided filters, which aims to sound clean and balanced or with the lows emphasized.

Astrotec_AX60_S_large3.jpg

Specs:
  1. Driver: 10mm Dynamic + Dual-Balanced Armature
  2. Frequency response: 8 Hz - 28000 Hz
  3. Sensitivity: 110 dB/1mw (S.P.Lat 1KHz)
  4. Impedance: 12 OHM
  5. Cable: 1.2m +/-0.3m Galaxy cable
  6. Connector: 3.5mm gold plated connector
  7. Max input: 10 mW

Tour Conditions:

1. We'll select the tour members based on experience and what earphones they have compare against the AX60.
  2. The Tour will run for a limited time, so we're want each member to have the AX60 for a week (ie 7 Days) not including any transit time to and from members.
  3. The member who currently has the AX60 is responsible to sending it on to the next person.  With the last person sending back to us.
  4. We would appreciate your thoughts and comments on the AX60 within a couple of weeks of you spending time with the earphones.
  5. When posting your comments and impressions on the AX60, consider all factors, including it's value and comment sensibly and reasonably.

Terms and conditions of the tour are subject to change at the our discretion.

To register your interest, please PM me with your contact details and your experience with IEM's and a reason why you should be part of the tour.

Thanks,
Billy
Noisy Motel

Edit: Here is the current list of tour members:

1. audionewbi
  2. H20Fidelity
  3. White Lotus
  4. djvkool
  5. nehcrow
  6. 1199-R
  7. d marc0
  8. svyr
  9. lin0003

NOTE: Tour is now complete!

Edit2:  I also forgot to mention guys and gals, when you're sending off to the next member, please ensure its packaged adequately for transit and send it in an Australia Post Express Post satchel with tracking.  Please then forward me the tracking details, so we can keep track of where the package is.

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 187
Hopefully you guys can get to hear the lower-end AX30/35 (single BA + dynamic) as well. I've heard through the grapevine that they're a bit more neutral-sounding than the U-shaped AX60.

For now, I'm done with hybrids (and in the process saving money by not spending indiscriminately) --- they just don't jive well with me (perhaps I'm just an elitist purist).

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #7 of 187
  Hopefully you guys can get to hear the lower-end AX30/35 (single BA + dynamic) as well. I've heard through the grapevine that they're a bit more neutral-sounding than the U-shaped AX60.

For now, I'm done with hybrids (and in the process saving money by not spending indiscriminately) --- they just don't jive well with me (perhaps I'm just an elitist purist).

I will be getting one from Charles in HK. 

Oct 25, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #8 of 187
I think this will be a nice superise for a large portion of the community. Early impression is there is nothing obvious wrong that stands out when for the first time you wear this IEM. Perhaps a bit of micro-detail is missing but boy does this IEM make me wonder how K3003 is like if their inspired clone is this pleasant to the ears.  

With all due respect this is not an IEM for basshead, if it is than I guess EX-1000 comes pretty close for been a bass head IEM as well. 

Oct 25, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 187

Yes, this will be another exciting addition to Astrotec's hybrid range, and we'll also do an Australian tour in due course when its released.

Oct 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #10 of 187
  I think this will be a nice superise for a large portion of the community. Early impression is there is nothing obvious wrong that stands out when for the first time you wear this IEM. Perhaps a bit of micro-detail is missing but boy does this IEM make me wonder how K3003 is like if their inspired clone is this pleasant to the ears.

With all due respect this is not an IEM for basshead, if it is than I guess EX-1000 comes pretty close for been a bass head IEM as well. 

Don't forget to try both screw on filters, as the do make a difference to the sound signature.

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 187

I heard about these - 

How many different "filters" come with the AX60?

Two but one can also experiment with them by using tea bag as dampers. 

I wish they were labeled. The only way to know which is which is you have to shine light into them and see which is which. One has more filter material whereas the other on less.

It comes with a nice variety of tips and ear loop that are enclosed in a metallix box with a very loss lid. The provided carry case is nice but it is not something you would want to abuse too much as it has no otterbox like protection.

What I have found with AX60 is that with good sources it will sound very nice(ak120) but with something like ipod nano the BA driver sound like the twfk BA driver wheras when paired with Ak120 those things do not come up. 

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #14 of 187
Sadly the cables are not replaceable and the plug is straight and quiet thin and can  fit in the case.  I do not really mind the cable as it has zero microphonics and it can go over the ear but I do think now days after market cable or the peace of mind of known that if your cable does go wrong you can replace it plays an important role for most consumers. Only time will tell how well these IEM are constructed but in terms of fit my picky ears seem to be just right. 

I will be experimenting with sony hybrids tomorrow and post the unit to H20 which I believer is the next on the list sometimes middle of next week. 

To my ears comparing to ASG-2 I prefer this as an IEM for cross genera music. I still perefer the ASG-2 heavy colortion on cello and chamber music but that is the only time I use the asg-2 as I dislike the tuning for any other musics whereas so far I have not encountered that with AX60.

For me once the Achilles hill of AX60 sound wise is the lack of those micro-detail at high notes that ER4S have and that it might not shine that well with poor sources. 

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #15 of 187
I can't wait to compare this to the H200 and DN1000! Thanks Billy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back