Australian Tour & Impressions - Astrotec AX60 - Hybrid 3-way Universal IEM (2 x BA + Dynamic Driver)
Oct 30, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #16 of 187
Dropped by noisymotel courtesy of Billy today and gave took AX60 for a quick spin.

definitely great IEMs. Perhaps the reasonably priced TWFK + DD that well tuned and not blasphemously expensive I was hoping for.
I enjoyed them quite a bit with Metal, Classical and Hip-hop both with both filters (eqed the larger hole one with bass a bit)

Not too sure I can make them fit well for my right ear (the strain relief bit sort of pushed out of the right ear and didn't quite grip), but I'll play with tips once the demo unit reaches me.
The strain reliefs on the cable looked alright, and it seemed fairly sturdy. Given I'm at the end of the tour I'm interested to see what it will look like by then :D

Also had a play with Fiio X3 - the build looked good to me (I guess not Dx50?) and the UI was intuitive (at least for folder mode), seemed to support flac and APE I had and covers and tags fine - had a SD + internal shuffle play mode). I probably still prefer my clip+ for multiba IEMs though.

Thanks again Billy. =)

Oct 31, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #19 of 187
This morning the Astrotec AX60 arrived to my door very early (thanks audionewbi for passing them on so quickly). I stumbled to the door, half a sleep, my eyes stinging, strained from endless days browsing Head-Fi thinking to myself "ain't nobody got time for this" in a grumpy mood, picked up the parcel threw it on my bed then prepared to go back to sleep. Only after a while laying there my inner self started to become curious about how they might sound, I stared at the ceiling for 5 minutes only to roll over again grumbling 'later".  Then finally after about 15 minutes it got the better of me. I opened up the parcel half naked in my boxer shorts. 

Inside I was greeted by what reminds me very much of the K3003 design and you can see that in some of the photos below. I removed the grubby tips audionewbi had been using, ear wax and oil smeared all over them then dug through my personal assortment to find something fresh that suited. I ended up settling on what Head-Fi calls 'Heir' tips which usually open up staging and for some bizarre reason create slightly brighter tonality. Reaching for my Colorfly C3  (the closest DAP to me)  I plugged them in and started some Jasmine Thompson tracks (she's very talented you can check her out here),.

Hit the play button and went from grumpy half asleep to this in about 30 seconds.

Call me impressed, what was going to be a quick 5 minute listen turned into almost 2 hours laying down going through several genres which they catered to excellently, pop, acoustic, EDM. They're rather neutral in the mid range, with just maybe a slight hint of warmth, which comes across as some colouration. but very smooth midrange and greatly coherent, meaning samples around the stage don't struggle to push through over one another, micro detail is nicely expressed and the mid range has this terribly smooth yet wonderful timbre that gives them a real 'higher end' attraction, they sound classy and I was pretty blown away by what I heard.

Vocals for example are terribly smooth and slightly intimate, I have heard more detail in other IEM's but these AX60 really don't need much more to do their job properly they just impress me as an overall package. I don't find them overly bass heavy not with the Heir tips I'm using, the low end is mainly sub-bass focused but I can hear a slight midbass hump, nothing over the top. I did however place some Sony hybrids on during my session and the low end came forward a fair amount. Treble is well extended as well as good shimmer. 

So I'm really happy with what I'm hearing my only concern is I might be detecting a slight channel imbalance to the right? I will clean the filters and reassess that and will certainly give some more impressions about the build, sound and my final thoughts. But from what I've heard like ASG-2, 1Plus2, Westone 4, Sony EX1000, etc these are a wonderful sounding earphone for the price and I look forward to my 7 days with them. they just sound so classy and more or less slaughtered the genre's I threw at them so far. I can see the Sony EX1000 gathering dust the rest of it's loan period over AX60.

Now for some photos of the packaging and a big thanks to Billy for organizing the tour as it's been worth every second so far. I am really pleased with the leather carry case included is so soft and expresses design, thought and quality build. Company's like T-Peos should take a look at this because they need to lift their game on accessories., even down to the custom tin with the Astrotex logo imprinted on it! Mega cool even the thought put into the stainless steel filter holder! (how cool is that) 

Anyone in Australia who passes the conditions to hear this get on this tour, get in NOW while you can!

I'll be back later. Btw: There's also a little wooden amp in the package, I need to buy a 9v battery for it and will leave that in when  I send it on!
smile.gif
 I don't know it's name, model, or anything about it, just that it's wooden and has a cool flap door on the back.

Oct 31, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #20 of 187
Very nice! Thanks for the early impressions Luke. That was an awesome read.

Expect the DN-1000 at your doorstep early next week. You can then have a great time with multiple hybrids at your perusal.

Cheers!

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #22 of 187
Very nice! Thanks for the early impressions Luke. That was an awesome read.

Expect the DN-1000 at your doorstep early next week. You can then have a great time with multiple hybrids at your perusal.

Cheers!

Thanks mate! I think you should be impressed with Astrotec AX60, but I really need to sort out this channnel imbalance I'm dectecting, I can feel vocals pulling to the right a touch and if the filters aren't causing the problem, we might need to get them checked or at least get a second opinion from the next tour member if they can hear it. I'm rather pleased with the sound bare that though.

Just FYI, that amp is from Palaios.

We don't know heaps about it just yet!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/687164/spotted-in-the-wild-a-wooden-portable-amplifier-from-palaios#post_9938834

I bought a battery and fired it up, sounds pretty good, slightly bright but well detailed, not overly bassy like I was expecting.

The headphone out and input are reverse to what I'm used to seeing on BH and Tralucent T1, but not to much of a problem.

So the viablue jack is the headphone out and on the outside edge is the input. 

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #23 of 187
Hey guys,

Please note the Project Palaios Iona amp that is going around with the AX60 is not a final version, the enclosure of the final version will have a polished look.  We've got some images on our website if you wanted to check it out.

We snuck it out there, to get some reactions from you guys!
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Billy

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #24 of 187
  Now for some photos of the packaging and a big thanks to Billy for organizing the tour as it's been worth every second so far. I am really pleased with the leather carry case included is so soft and expresses design, thought and quality build. Company's like T-Peos should take a look at this because they need to lift their game on accessories., even down to the custom tin with the Astrotex logo imprinted on it! Mega cool even the thought put into the stainless steel filter holder! (how cool is that) 

Anyone in Australia who passes the conditions to hear this get on this tour get in NOW, while you can!

I'll be back later.

Btw: There's also a little wooden amp in the package, I need to buy a 9v battery for it and will leave that in when  I send it on! 
smile.gif

I don't know it's name, model, or anything about it, just that it's wooden and has a cool flap door on the back.

Awesome pics there mate!
wink_face.gif

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #25 of 187

Awesome pics there mate!
wink_face.gif

Thanks!

Btw everyone, never fear about the channel imbalance I reported earlier, I removed the filters gave them a quick blow over, replaced them and we're rocking out back to normal. I've become rather found of AX60 already, especially it's impressive coherency and staging, there's something about the timbre of this hybrid that's really inviting and the bass with EDM using correct tips is deep and powerful!, makes me smile. Really impressed so far, I might even sell some gear and buy a pair for myself! I think audionewbi felt the same way. Another thing that draws me in is how versatile AX60 is, you can throw all sort of music at it and the hybrid just works like a chameleon adjusting to the genre! 

Nov 1, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #27 of 187
Fantastic review...

mmm...based on H2O's review I just know that most likely I will buy one once my turn finishes...damn....after DN-1000 I pulled the trigger on Rooth LS5X, and now this...

Nov 1, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #28 of 187
If you all own sources with true line out wait until you hear the little wooden Project Palaios amp! 

That things has a heart of gold! It looks so strange but the sound, I've been testing it out this afternoon

She's a winner!

Nov 1, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #30 of 187
  H20, what do you think about the amp? 

I haven't tested the amp yet with AX60 as at 12ohms I'm not sure how they will respond, but without drifting off topic I had some other gear arrive today and I've been using it with that. I find it has good driving power and makes the mid range terribly clear and detailed, crisps up the detail. I get well extended vocals and deep, deep bass impact with one of the other units from Vision Ears here and it also responded well with H-200. It just seems to give the entire presentation a boost in clarity and detail, while expanding the space between instruments. It's not a warm amp, rather neutral to slightly cool and clean but a touch bassy in sub-bass regoins. (nothing extreme) IMO.

You can have a quick sneak peek at the stage divers here but may I ask lets please not drift off to much as this Astrotec AX60 is truly worth the talk I'm giving.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/682142/vision-ears-and-rhines-custom-monitors-formerly-compact-monitors/210#post_9940433

Users who are viewing this thread

Back