Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Dec 4, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #2,326 of 3,454
Finally got my set early this week.

Impressions are as follows:

Packaging 4/10

Much to be desired - and can definitely do better. As they say, first impression matters - and I thought I was getting a fake set of IEMs. The sticker on the tin can was not the best looking of all. It looked faded, and wasn't even stuck on properly. I understand that it's a kickstarter edition, but I really expected better.

Pouch 4/10

I was even more disappointed when I popped the tin can open. A pouch was squished in - and it looked real nasty and cheap!

First up, I understand the need to keep everything made in the USA (the pouch has a little tag that says made in the USA), and hats off to that. However, this does not necessarily equal to quality in this instance. The sewing of the pouch was NOT well done at all. It is misshapen, has already started fraying out of the box, and to top it off, the embossed "rockets" logo wasn't even centered.

I'm sorry - handsewn or machine sewn, it's just not well done.

Why bother with a custom made pouch, why bother making it in the USA, if you're not going to keep quality high? I really expected better - and I have seen better stuff made in China with a much higher quality and better finish. Disappointing.

ROCKETS - build quality 6/10

To the real deal - the reason I bought this on kickstarter - the rockets themselves!

Why a SIX?

Don't get me wrong here - I believe that these IEMs are built like a tank. Great quality cables, great housing, great gold plated connectors - but the rubber / plastic housing on the cables look just simply nasty. The "Y" connector where the cables intersect is poorly made. Rubber fraying everywhere, and it doesn't even look like it was 'cut' properly. The rubber colour is a shade of dirty white. The same goes with the termination where the 3.5mm plug is at - rubber fraying, could be cut better, and colour is just... ugh.

Some of you will think I moan and perhaps even b*tch too much about this - but it's just...CONFUSING! On one hand, the cable and earphone housing looks really great - and then it's complimented by what I think is really sub-standard manufacturing. It's a real let down. I mean, if you want quality - why not do it throughout? Why leave things halfway done?

I'm left to wonder if I even would buy a second product from AS with what I'm getting so far...

ROCKETS - sound quality 8/10

After the initial shock/disgust/disbelief - I plugged this in to my iPhone 6, and pulled up Spotify. 

NOT too bad...I'm getting details, texture, and it's quite wonderful even with spotify! On iTunes - mastered for iTunes tracks sounded real good! Foo Fighters' Congregations never sounded better!

On my DX50, FLAC files sang beautifully! I was bobbing my head up and down with 30 Seconds to Mars' hurricanes... awesome!

Isolation is very good - I don't have to push up my volume too much to drown out the noise in my office.

The cable is microphonic, but it's to be expected when earphones are inserted that deeply into the ear canal from my experience. Using the antiloop helps a lot too.

I actually do prefer this over my UM3s, which is due for a replacement anyway.

Overall Impression - 7/10

The negatives did not outweigh the positives that much, but detracted a lot from my experience of getting a brand new pair of 'phones.

Aurisonics - if you are reading this, you've got a great product, but really needs to be packaged much much better. After all, the enjoyment does not start when you plug the earphones in, but when you receive the package in the mail.

I can't seem to insert photo links here - but I think a review is never complete without a set of photos -

http://s278.photobucket.com/user/rocklogicmelbourne/library/Aurisonics%20Rockets

Cheers.

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #2,327 of 3,454

Aurisonics - if you are reading this, you've got a great product, but really needs to be packaged much much better. After all, the enjoyment does not start when you plug the earphones in, but when you receive the package in the mail.

Actually, I think the packaging was quite interesting and different from all the cardboard and plastic most companies use.  I like the pouch (probably one of the best I've seen).   I don't know  exactly what you were expecting...I guess you can't please all of the people all of the time.

It's funny though - when I opened the package I though, "interesting"...while you though, "they can do better".

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #2,328 of 3,454
I thought all the packaging/accessories were fine. The pouch is actually small, durable and most importantly, functional. Most of the time, the cases that come with IEMs are anything but, and tend to be throw away pieces of junk. In any case, the Rockets sound stellar and should last til the apocalypse, that's really what matters anyhow 

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #2,329 of 3,454

Actually, I think the packaging was quite interesting and different from all the cardboard and plastic most companies use.  I like the pouch (probably one of the best I've seen).   I don't know  exactly what you were expecting...I guess you can't please all of the people all of the time.

It's funny though - when I opened the package I though, "interesting"...while you though, "they can do better".

I don't own the Rockets, but I love the minimalist packaging as well.

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #2,330 of 3,454
I can confirm a similar issue with the x3. It locks into my iPhone pretty securely but with the x3 it can get dislodged fairly easily.

It seems the Rockets' jack is just a tad longer than usual. When I plug it into my X3, it doesn't go all the way in.

Do you think an adapter could solve this issue? I'm trying to find one. Do you guys have any suggestion?

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #2,331 of 3,454
Heard the Rockets (but not my own pair). One word: Smooth.
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #2,332 of 3,454
  I thought all the packaging/accessories were fine. The pouch is actually small, durable and most importantly, functional. Most of the time, the cases that come with IEMs are anything but, and tend to be throw away pieces of junk. In any case, the Rockets sound stellar and should last til the apocalypse, that's really what matters anyhow 

Love the pouch aside from the loop for the carabiner. It gets in the way since it is on the inside and pretty thick. Like that there is a tin and soft case.

It seems the Rockets' jack is just a tad longer than usual. When I plug it into my X3, it doesn't go all the way in.

Do you think an adapter could solve this issue? I'm trying to find one. Do you guys have any suggestion?

Odd how it works fine with most players but FiiO stuff. Connects fine with my E11K or X1 but if the plug starts to turn the FiiO jacks push in out easily. The plug is a bit different at the tip having a longer, more tapered bevels. Oddly the same length plug though. Being big and at that angle doesn't help either. Don't have this but here is one...https://sewelldirect.com/35-mm-Audio-Extension-Cable-3-inch.asp

Not an adapter but that may be awkward and put stress on the jacks. A short extension is a safer bet unless there is a good really low profile RA model adapter.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #2,334 of 3,454
  Funny, I used the tour loaner almost exclusively with my X3 and didn't notice a thing about the plug.

It only happens if you start moving about, though. It is just like jant71 said, it tends to disconnect if the plug start turning a bit.
  Love the pouch aside from the loop for the carabiner. It gets in the way since it is on the inside and pretty thick. Like that there is a tin and soft case.

Odd how it works fine with most players but FiiO stuff. Connects fine with my E11K or X1 but if the plug starts to turn the FiiO jacks push in out easily. The plug is a bit different at the tip having a longer, more tapered bevels. Oddly the same length plug though. Being big and at that angle doesn't help either. Don't have this but here is one...https://sewelldirect.com/35-mm-Audio-Extension-Cable-3-inch.asp

Not an adapter but that may be awkward and put stress on the jacks. A short extension is a safer bet unless there is a good really low profile RA model adapter.

I was looking at some thing like this: http://www.amazon.com/Vandesail-Female-Headphone-Adapters-Converter/dp/B00LWV7PEA/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1417792732&sr=8-15&keywords=3.5+mm+male+to+3.5+mm+female+adapter&tag=rnwff-20. Not sure about the quality, though.
But you are right. A cable extension will probably works. I never thought about the stress on the jacks. Thank you for your suggestion

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #2,337 of 3,454
Dec 5, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #2,338 of 3,454

Not really related to your post but I'm curious if you heard the Rockets and what your thoughts on them. Plug wise I did wish they used a lower profile plug. It's by far the largest I've had outside of a 1/4 inch one from full sized headphones.

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #2,339 of 3,454

Not really related to your post but I'm curious if you heard the Rockets and what your thoughts on them. Plug wise I did wish they used a lower profile plug. It's by far the largest I've had outside of a 1/4 inch one from full sized headphones.

Yep, I own a pair and the Rockets are special. Wish they went with RA or straight. In the middle and that size is not ideal. Big plug like some of the Brainwavz models like R3 V1 and S1. I think the learning curve on the Rockets is a bit tougher due to their size or lack thereof. Fit is critical or the stage does collapse a bit and getting an even seal is not the easiest. Also a bit picky on tips if, like me, you want more sharpness of note and less on the smooth factor. Oddly, Brainwavz latest included Sony hybrid style tips work for me to bring a tighter mote with a bit quicker decay and a cleaner note edge.

Still maybe learning them as I got them on Tuesday afternoon. The excellent mid-range but also a 3D sound helped by great cohesion and wonderfully even stage(in all directions). Then filled in with high end accurate positioning/imaging and great separation/layering. Always good sounding but the right tips and source synergy unlocks the true potential of the Rockets. The need some juice for the biggest and most effortless sound. A little coaxing at times, a bit harder to work with than some phones but built like a beast and sounds well above the $189 I paid for Black Friday. Same $189 I bought the ASG1 when they first went on sale :) but much improved signature and SQ!

I think we could get some more attachment options. Maybe tri-tabs with one longer tab to rest on/go through the Intertragic incisure aka the dip between the Tragus and Antitragus :) Maybe an attachment that incorporates the tip and tri-tab in one piece. Even body caps like the Rock-it sound phones had to make the phones fit better like so...
images

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #2,340 of 3,454
  It only happens if you start moving about, though. It is just like jant71 said, it tends to disconnect if the plug start turning a bit.
I was looking at some thing like this: http://www.amazon.com/Vandesail-Female-Headphone-Adapters-Converter/dp/B00LWV7PEA/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1417792732&sr=8-15&keywords=3.5+mm+male+to+3.5+mm+female+adapter&tag=rnwff-20. Not sure about the quality, though.
But you are right. A cable extension will probably works. I never thought about the stress on the jacks. Thank you for your suggestion

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008SFSIXU/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687462&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004JX82PY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0CZ62HFWHHVK844P8R0X
Should work well for FiiO/Rockets use. I might grab one of these. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back