Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #2,312 of 3,454
Aurisonics just can't win lol. People want more frequent updates, but there's a secret, they can't be updates that relay bad news.

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #2,313 of 3,454
  How is the microphonics on the Rocket? From some of the review I have read, it seems quite bad, while other said it was negligible. Would be pretty important since I intend to use this as my running headphones.

The microphonics come from the vibrations which travel up the cable. It gets bad when you stick them deep into your ears and you don't have much to dampen the energy that's traveling up the cable. So wearing them over the ear and having the antiloops help a lot because they move the energy elsewhere so it's not as noticeable, if at all that is.

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #2,314 of 3,454
Aurisonics just can't win lol. People want more frequent updates, but there's a secret, they can't be updates that relay bad news.

honestly would rather have bad updates than no updates.  But whatever.  I guess my apple earpods will satisfy me for now.  I just hope they're really moving along and it's not like a 3 month delay...

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #2,315 of 3,454
  ugh another delay on the mic versions.

Hopefully we won't lap the deadline from last year before getting these...

Was this directly from Aurisonics?  There's nothing about another delay on their Facebook or Kickstarter page.

It's apparent they are slammed and have issues with the Rocket through put. It's too bad this project was mixed in deep with their model updates (1.5, 2.5...etc).  Hell, I called them after my initial email was ignored to see if I could top up the difference for a 1.5+ in exchange for my Rockets slot and what I've already paid, and even that got ignored or placed on the back burner.  The demand looks to severely outweigh supply. I just hope there's still a demand when I sell it immediately after delivery.  

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #2,317 of 3,454

Was this directly from Aurisonics?  There's nothing about another delay on their Facebook or Kickstarter page.

It's apparent they are slammed and have issues with the Rocket through put. It's too bad this project was mixed in deep with their model updates (1.5, 2.5...etc).  Hell, I called them after my initial email was ignored to see if I could top up the difference for a 1.5+ in exchange for my Rockets slot and what I've already paid, and even that got ignored or placed on the back burner.  The demand looks to severely outweigh supply. I just hope there's still a demand when I sell it immediately after delivery.  

yup on the KS page.  Update #40

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #2,318 of 3,454
I made an impulse purchase of the Rockets on Black Friday (for $199) and it arrived Monday.  Already I am recommending these to others as it is surprising good for the price. My favorite IEM is the 846 but I've never recommended it to others (as the price is prohibitive and you have to be a real geek about this stuff to consider it worth the expense).

In just one day, I have not found the optimal source situation for the Rockets. I really like it with my old Galaxy S2 (with Viper4Android settings similar to those I use with my Shure IEMs but with no scaling back of the" sensitivity" due to EQing--- and Poweramp with Tone On to give the sub-bass a little extra).

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #2,320 of 3,454
  I made an impulse purchase of the Rockets on Black Friday (for $199) and it arrived Monday.  Already I am recommending these to others as it is surprising good for the price. My favorite IEM is the 846 but I've never recommended it to others (as the price is prohibitive and you have to be a real geek about this stuff to consider it worth the expense).

How do you find the Rocket's sound in comparison to the 846? Frankly, the size of those 846 things put me off.  I love that the Rockets are so tiny. With the right eartips they're comfy and unobtrusive.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #2,321 of 3,454
I don't have rockets, but I have the 846, they are the most comfortable IEMS I've ever owned. Fit and build is top notch. I've heard, amazing things about the rockets though. 2 different sound sig, that's for sure.

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #2,322 of 3,454
  How do you find the Rocket's sound in comparison to the 846? Frankly, the size of those 846 things put me off.  I love that the Rockets are so tiny. With the right eartips they're comfy and unobtrusive.

Keep in mind that it's only been one day for me (and the Rockets), and also, I've not compared these IEMs with the same source and settings. I'd say the 846 is warmer, darker, and thicker with the black filter. It's possible that with the white filter, the Rockets and 846 may sound similar. I'll tell you what surprised me. Last night, I was washing dishes and watching the football game while listening to the Rockets with the S2 (EQ-ed with V4A and Poweramp). I forgot which IEM I had on. The only other time that has happened to me was with the 535 and SM64. Now, mind you, I have to turn the bass up quite a bit to get the Rockets into the territory of the 846 (with no bass boost). When I get some time, I will compare them on an even playing field (probably with the iPhone 5s or iPod Touch 5g with no EQ to get a direct sense).

Tomorrow I will see how well the Rockets isolate, when I take it to work and see how wind, road, and engine noise affects it. This is (for me) where dynamic driver IEMs go to die. I remember the Ultrasone IQ seem to isolate well in the house but when I got in the big rig and drove down the road, the IQ couldn't get it done. We shall see.

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #2,323 of 3,454
Thanks :) I Iook forward to hearing your feedback.  Also, do try different tips with the Rockets. The Sureseal tips aren't up to much, IMHO.
They'll be no match for the isolation of Shure olives. Sony hybrid or Monster foam supertips will probably work better for you.

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #2,324 of 3,454
I immediately removed the tips that came with the Rockets. I don't wear tips until after I wash them and soak them in alcohol. I simple don't trust that they are clean.

I used my AUVIO tips. When the original tips dried, I tried them and they sounded thin and bright in my ears. I have unusual ears. I went back to the AUVIO tips with in seconds. They are thick and sturdy. The sound is much better than I could get with the original tips. The sound is warmer, fuller, and more natural sounding.

The cable is microphonic. I have a shirt clip somewhere that I will try when I find it. I also have something from my IE8 that works as an ear guard to guide the cable around the ear. I need to find where I put it also. I much prefer to wear my IEM around my ear.

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #2,325 of 3,454
Tell us what you think! I haven't seen many others commenting on this sort of music for these headphones. I linked the Vimeo album above, but the quality isn't as good as the FLAC from cdbaby.

Edit - turn the volume up a bit, relax, close your eyes, and you can hear the separate instruments clearly, the vocals are amazing, the quality is astounding.

Also do check out Audiomachine, E.S Posthumus and Globus if you like that genre of music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back