Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #3,016 of 3,454
I wish there was a way to audition them first, i doubt there are any bay area shops that stock them.

I think I've mentioned this before for the ASG2 but you could try contacting them and see if they'll ship you out a demo with a deposit.

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #3,017 of 3,454
  Can anyone compare the rockets to the ASG-2 and ER4P regarding the sound of the headphone?

Not necessarily the quality so much as the profile. Specifically is the bass impact and depth closer to the ASG-2 With the vents closed or the ER4P?

Thanks in advance. I'm less eager to just take the jump at $250, as it seems the resale price is closer to the kickstarter price than it is retail.

The bass impact/depth is far closer to that of the ER-4 than the ASG-2. The Rockets are overall quite neutral in tuning. I'd say the bass is tastefully elevated but still pretty flat and starts rolling off at around 40 hz. or so. It's got the familiar AS house mids and a silky treble due to some roll off. Overall, I think it's AS' current best phone if you're into a more reference type signature. 
I think I've mentioned this before for the ASG2 but you could try contacting them and see if they'll ship you out a demo with a deposit.

Pretty sure he's already got the G-2 and was commenting on not being able to find Rockets in brick and mortar shops to demo 

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #3,018 of 3,454
I was talking about him getting rocket demos, just mentioning the ASG 2's as I told a fellow head-fi member about asking for a demo.

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #3,019 of 3,454

The bass impact/depth is far closer to that of the ER-4 than the ASG-2. The Rockets are overall quite neutral in tuning. I'd say the bass is tastefully elevated but still pretty flat and starts rolling off at around 40 hz. or so. It's got the familiar AS house mids and a silky treble due to some roll off. Overall, I think it's AS' current best phone if you're into a more reference type signature. 

I definitely don't expect anything like the ASG-2's bass performance out of a driver the fraction of the size. I do want something more fun than the ER4S though. I whip out my ER4S when i want to listen to technical detail in a track, but if i'm honest i would really enjoy them in earnest if the bass was more present - more warmth. I really enjoy the ASG-2's depth and sound, maybe as not linearly detailed but more immersive. I don't mind something closer to the ER4s so long as it's not too close - and i definitely don't like anything that even approaches harsh treble. I actually sent my ASG-2s in when i first got them, and the folks at aurisonics were kind enough to tune down the treble for me.

I guess I'll just have to hear the aurisonics to know.
I was talking about him getting rocket demos, just mentioning the ASG 2's as I told a fellow head-fi member about asking for a demo.

I'll contact them and ask, thanks for the suggestion.

Jun 20, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #3,020 of 3,454
As an Aurisonics dealer, I have not liked the stock tips (like many of you). Finally tried the JVC Spiral Dots with the Rockets and LOVE them. I have trouble getting a good seal in my ear canal with many tips, so I Usually don't get enough bass response for my liking. With the dots, the Rockets finally have enough bass for me. Super sound top to bottom now. I am not a JVC dealer, but am going to buy dots to have on hand for my customers.

Jun 20, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #3,021 of 3,454

I definitely don't expect anything like the ASG-2's bass performance out of a driver the fraction of the size. I do want something more fun than the ER4S though. I whip out my ER4S when i want to listen to technical detail in a track, but if i'm honest i would really enjoy them in earnest if the bass was more present - more warmth. I really enjoy the ASG-2's depth and sound, maybe as not linearly detailed but more immersive. I don't mind something closer to the ER4s so long as it's not too close - and i definitely don't like anything that even approaches harsh treble. I actually sent my ASG-2s in when i first got them, and the folks at aurisonics were kind enough to tune down the treble for me.

Yeah I'd definitely look up Gnarl's review. And I wouldn't worry about the Rockets being too cold or anything since they lean slightly warm overall, ditto on bass, as it's got sufficient body and extension IMO. It definitely doesn't feel like lean nor cold, which are characteristics that people tend to attribute to BAs if that's what you're worried about. The Rockets might not feel as enveloping as the G-2 but I think it actually bests it in imaging precision, and speed, and is more versatile overall when it comes to genre bandwidth. 

Jun 20, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #3,022 of 3,454
As an Aurisonics dealer, I have not liked the stock tips (like many of you). Finally tried the JVC Spiral Dots with the Rockets and LOVE them. I have trouble getting a good seal in my ear canal with many tips, so I Usually don't get enough bass response for my liking. With the dots, the Rockets finally have enough bass for me. Super sound top to bottom now. I am not a JVC dealer, but am going to buy dots to have on hand for my customers.

Just tried these also, have tried MANY different tips with these and by far the best!

Jun 22, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #3,023 of 3,454
Yeah I'd definitely look up Gnarl's review. And I wouldn't worry about the Rockets being too cold or anything since they lean slightly warm overall, ditto on bass, as it's got sufficient body and extension IMO. It definitely doesn't feel like lean nor cold, which are characteristics that people tend to attribute to BAs if that's what you're worried about. The Rockets might not feel as enveloping as the G-2 but I think it actually bests it in imaging precision, and speed, and is more versatile overall when it comes to genre bandwidth. 

Thanks for the suggestion. It was a pretty good description. As long as they're more fun and engaging than the ER4s I'm probably on board. I'd like something I can listen to casually and often, not just critically at a desk.

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #3,024 of 3,454
  So the line is going to likely be entirely premium priced (>$300).

I guess the upcoming release doesn't really affect me, as i'm not really planning on spending that much in the near future in any case.

I'm really only looking at the rockets at $250 due to their durability, but more so for brand loyalty.  I'm just not sure whether the sound is going to be a good fit for me, i'm okay with the potential cable noise, and other potential issues - which all seem fair tradeoff for durability. It's the microdriver sound i'm concerned about.

I was initially looking at a whole bunch of IEMs in the $50-60 range.

FYI, 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=38&v=0vpfskRKuQM

seems its gonna be $199 for the lowest model and go up to $499. 

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #3,026 of 3,454
Still haven't found anything that beats the Rockets at up to twice their point. These are absolutely ******* amazing.

Have you tried the rockets with the black cables? I hear they sound SOO MUCH better.....

Just Kidding 
dt880smile.png

They are all the same. I think the price is great and have recommended them to many of my friends that are runners that have no care about the sound anyways. I tell them its indestructible and show them a video and then they go buy a pair. The sound quality is just the cherry on top for them. Really, the Rockets are a well rounded beast that is hard to find anything you're sacrificing besides a little more dough than some might have spent in the past for IEMs

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #3,027 of 3,454
  Have you tried the rockets with the black cables? I hear they sound SOO MUCH better.....

Just Kidding 
dt880smile.png

They are all the same. I think the price is great and have recommended them to many of my friends that are runners that have no care about the sound anyways. I tell them its indestructible and show them a video and then they go buy a pair. The sound quality is just the cherry on top for them. Really, the Rockets are a well rounded beast that is hard to find anything you're sacrificing besides a little more dough than some might have spent in the past for IEMs

Exactly. I'm no runner or athlete, but it would take a lot for another IEM to sway me from the Rockets and their 5-year warranty. And when you pop on Comply isolation tips, you can just sit back in bed, and enjoy the perfect blend sounds from a song like Burial on the Presidio Banks.

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #3,028 of 3,454
So i ponied up and just ordered the rockets, they literally just arrived.

Anyone know if these change with burn in? Tip recommendations? they sound pretty good right out of the box, if just a bit veiled...

A graduation gift from me to myself.

The tips they come with really stay in there, but don't sound particularly good. seems to fold over themselves when inserted obstructing the nozzle. With clears up a bit with auvio tips.

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #3,029 of 3,454

Anyone know if these change with burn in? Tip recommendations? they sound pretty good right out of the box, if just a bit veiled...

I really didn't notice much difference with burn-in. If you get a longer, narrow-bore tip I think it brings out the treble some. I'm currently using small tips that were included with the Dunu Titan, works pretty well(doesn't sound as good to me as a longer tip, but I try to prevent as much of the Rockets from poking out as I can).

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #3,030 of 3,454

A graduation gift from me to myself.

The tips they come with really stay in there, but don't sound particularly good. seems to fold over themselves when inserted obstructing the nozzle. With clears up a bit with auvio tips.

Anything but the stock tips...

...and congratulations on your graduation and the Rockets. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back