Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #3,031 of 3,454
  So i ponied up and just ordered the rockets, they literally just arrived.

Anyone know if these change with burn in? Tip recommendations? they sound pretty good right out of the box, if just a bit veiled...

A graduation gift from me to myself.

The tips they come with really stay in there, but don't sound particularly good. seems to fold over themselves when inserted obstructing the nozzle. With clears up a bit with auvio tips.

The Comply 500 Isolation Tips (TX-500 IIRC) are amazing, especially when the excess at the end is cut off. They really preserve the bass.

I've heard some great things about the JVC Spiral Dot tips, too.

Do keep in mind that in almost all cases, burn-in is a mental process. So if you're used to other headphones, it still might take you time to get used to these and truly appreciate the sound.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #3,032 of 3,454
  Hey guys, as an aurisonics fan, i'm looking into the rockets as this year's big audio purchase. I'm looking for a slightly more carefree portable use option to my ASG-2s, as despite my best efforts i just have too much anxiety carrying my ASG-2s around regularly. They're more my desk, lossless dac/amp setup kind of listening experience.

are there any new revisions coming, or a successive model to the rockets in the remotely near future that i should be aware of?

It depends on what you're looking for. The Rockets are your only option if you want a relatively even sound distribution at a sub-$300 price point. The only competitor in this range would be the Harmony, which will likely retail at $500. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #3,033 of 3,454

I really didn't notice much difference with burn-in. If you get a longer, narrow-bore tip I think it brings out the treble some. I'm currently using small tips that were included with the Dunu Titan, works pretty well(doesn't sound as good to me as a longer tip, but I try to prevent as much of the Rockets from poking out as I can).

Thanks for the suggestion, i went from my standard medium Auvio tips to the small ones. They've got really large bores, but are smaller overall so they let me get them inserted deeper. Really good balance of bass and treble with these tips.

Anything but the stock tips...

...and congratulations on your graduation and the Rockets. 

Thanks, so far they're sounding pretty damn good. I'm not going to lie, first few minutes were a bit underwhelming, but with a few tip changes and listening for a couple hours and they really grew on me. They're not the most engaging IEM i've heard, but they play everything i've thrown at them equally well to a degree i haven't seen in a long time. I've yet to hit a song that has dissatisfied me through these buds. Pretty damn comfortable too.

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #3,037 of 3,454

Am I the only one that actually enjoy the stock tips?  They work great for me.

I use the smalls. They're fantastic.

I am in on the Massdrop. Got a family friend in need of a pair that has a birthday coming up. Gonna get 2 others to reimburse me for a share of the present since its a bit more than we would normally spend.

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #3,039 of 3,454

I feel like that mass drop deal is a steal especially at $149

Enough people need to buy it at that price but yea, that seems like a simple task to accomplish.

Remember everyone, this is the only way since the Kickstarter to get the black cables, and this is at the same price as the second or third tier of the kickstarter. 

Being a backer (#1 actually) of the Rockets, I am quite happy to pay the $50 more than what I paid for my kickstarter pair to get a second as a present for someone. They're really gonna enjoy them.

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #3,041 of 3,454
  Everyone, Massdrop has a special edition Rockets available. Might end up being $149 for everyone if enough people join

Well crap... I was actually thinking of emailing aurisonics and asking if they were considering a massdrop, but decided to just pony up and order them on amazon.

might go for a second set then, although 60 people committed may be a tall order. Is the cable length gonna be the same as the regular production run of the rockets? Are the "massdrop edition" rockets just leftovers from the kickstarter run? (shorter cables, ect?). I like the leather bag they come with, the clamshell on kickstarter less so.

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #3,042 of 3,454

Well crap... I was actually thinking of emailing aurisonics and asking if they were considering a massdrop, but decided to just pony up and order them on amazon.

might go for a second set then, although 60 people committed may be a tall order. Is the cable length gonna be the same as the regular production run of the rockets? Are the "massdrop edition" rockets just leftovers from the kickstarter run? (shorter cables, ect?). I like the leather bag they come with, the clamshell on kickstarter less so.

The Kickstarter came with the leather bag that was in the tin box, i think i am misunderstanding your inquiry there.

They are already at 20+ people committed, so it isnt too far a stretch. The cable length is the same according to the specs. I would imagine they are either left over cables from the kickstarter or they ordered another run of the black cable just for the massdrop orders. 

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #3,043 of 3,454

Is there a known advantage/disadvantage of the black cable?

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #3,044 of 3,454

Is there a known advantage/disadvantage of the black cable?

from what i can tell they were determined to be the same cable. Only disadvantage i can think of is the R/B designation are two rubber rings behind the earpiece, rather than coloration of the actual cable.
  The Kickstarter came with the leather bag that was in the tin box, i think i am misunderstanding your inquiry there.

They are already at 20+ people committed, so it isnt too far a stretch. The cable length is the same according to the specs. I would imagine they are either left over cables from the kickstarter or they ordered another run of the black cable just for the massdrop orders. 

I read somewhere that the kickstarter models had shorter cables. I like the length on the retail set i got, so I was wondering whether these would be leftovers from the kickstarter batch since they have the black cables, and they were delivered to backers not terribly long ago.

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #3,045 of 3,454

from what i can tell they were determined to be the same cable. Only disadvantage i can think of is the R/B designation are two rubber rings behind the earpiece, rather than coloration of the actual cable.

I read somewhere that the kickstarter models had shorter cables. I like the length on the retail set i got, so I was wondering whether these would be leftovers from the kickstarter batch since they have the black cables, and they were delivered to backers not terribly long ago.

I am not aware of differing lengths, but lets do a test.

Offhand, I think my cable was measured at like 47.5" or 48". What is yours? I cannot confirm my number till the end of the weekend as I am leaving work today and travelling but I believe it was a 4' cable. that seems to be the length Aurisonics likes on their IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back