Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Jun 26, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #3,046 of 3,454
  I am not aware of differing lengths, but lets do a test.

Offhand, I think my cable was measured at like 47.5" or 48". What is yours? I cannot confirm my number till the end of the weekend as I am leaving work today and travelling but I believe it was a 4' cable. that seems to be the length Aurisonics likes on their IEMs.

It was something i read when i was going through a pretty much everything i could find on the rockets last weekend before ordering. could have been bad information though.

Just measured mine to a hair over 48, which is just about perfect.

Jun 26, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #3,049 of 3,454
Ah, the black-and-gold version of the Rockets look sick. I would gladly trade my own in and pay a bit more for those. Unfortunately, those aren't on Massdrop and seem like they're pretty darn rare.

On another note, my Spinfits should be coming tomorrow or Monday. I'll try to give impressions compared to the stock tips, fake Sony Hybrids from the GR07 BE's, and Comply TX-500's, if anyone is interested in knowing.

Jun 27, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #3,053 of 3,454
It has quality bass, but not overly voluminous. I'd say personally, they're on the water side of balanced -distinctly fun sounding. Bassy music is baddy, but they don't color all music with bass, if that makes sense. You really gotta try different tips.

They're really comfortable, and isolate very well as they're really easy to get good insertion.

Jun 29, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #3,055 of 3,454
So I got around to comparing the Stock Tips, Comply Isolation tips, fake Sony Hybrids, and Spinfit Tips.

Comply Isolation
These tips are great at what they're made for - isolation. If you're in a noisy area, these are a really good choice. Out of all 3 tips I tested, they blocked out the most noise. Furthermore, they lend themselves to the best bass of the three. If you manage to cut the excess off, and insert them properly. they will often be decent fit but I found them to be the least comfortable. The tip would keep on slipping out of my left ear as it was constantly trying to expand, which caused discomfort. Sound was clear and detailed. My right ear was perfect.

Fake Sony Hybrids
These were the most comfortable, and had the best fit (they felt nice and soft and never slipped out, even during movement and exercise), but had the worst sound. High mids felt pretty hot and uneven in regards to frequency and I got pretty confused when listening to vocals with these, as it felt like certain frequencies were muffled or recessed. Bass was terrible and virtually nonexistent, even with a deep fit. Furthermore, isolation was virtually nonexistent. All in all, I wouldn't recommend these tips - they left me confused and wanting for more.

Spinfit Tips
Probably my favorite out of the three. It takes some practice get a good fit, but they are extremely comfortable, and provide great sound. Isolation was much better than the Fake Sony Hybrids. Bass was better than stock, but not as good as Comply, and overall felt more detailed. They also look pretty nice (but can be dust/particle magnets). I'll talk more about the sound 

Stock Tips
These were my third favorite, behind Comply and Spinfit. Their isolation falls somewhere in between the fake Sony Hybrids and Spinfits, you can still feel some bass from them, and they are comfortable enough to not notice. However, they suck for long term use - they tend to fold in on themselves and just don't hold up well with time, becoming less comfortable and more of a nuisance.

Spinfits tips.

So, to rank them:

Isolation
Comply: 4
Spinfits: 3
Stock: 2
Fake SH: 1

Comfort
Spinfits: 4
Fake SH: 3
Comply: 2

Fit
Fake SH: 3.5ish
Comply: 3

Bass
Comply: 4
Spinfit: 3

Overall Sound
Comply: 3

I've heard great things about the JVC Spiral Dots, so you might want to check those out.

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #3,056 of 3,454
Has anyone used these with a portable DAC/amp? I and a OnePlus One and will be doing a lot of traveling over the next month and would love to know how an external DAC/Amp petrified with these. To me the OPO doesn't get loud enough on all music, mostly classic rock like Pink Floyd and Dire Straits recorded at lower levels with huge dynamic range, on those i have to max my volume and it's not enough. Also don't get enough bass but can adjust that with the DAC or phone, so just looking for opinions on a good match, trying to stay cheap ish and looking at the Fiio E17K/E18, iBasso D-Zero MK2 and Sound Blaster E3 but any suggestions up to and including the Oppo HA-2 will be considered.

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #3,059 of 3,454
Hey guys, just saw that from the official website the Rockets are on sale for $199 http://aurisonics.com/

Also, if you wanna know first, they are apparently taking sign ups for a mailer that will go out when the Bravo series launches: http://aurisonics.com/bravo/

Jul 7, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #3,060 of 3,454
I know that these aren't exactly the FOTM anymore, so probably not as talked anymore. 
 Just bought a used pair off another Head-Fier, and I have to say, with these couple of hours of headtime I'm pretty impressed. 

If I hadn't been spoiled by alot of other gear I own, I would say the itch probably would have been satisfied by the Rockets.

Definitely a great addition to my arsenal. Finally something that can take abuse AND sound quite good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back