Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jul 28, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #5,673 of 8,309
Wonder if anybody took the plunge on the Siemens E88CC which CoiL is raving about. :)

Right now, I'm still using my trusty Amperex OG which is amazing but if there's anything better out there, I'd definitely be all ears.

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #5,676 of 8,309
If you're sensitive to brightness/treble, it won't help either set of cans. You can smooth it out a bit with a mullard or amperex tube but, it can only do so much.

Yes I am a bit sensitive depending on the track. I think since I am looking for it that is probably why I am sensitive to it. 

I will do more research to see what works well.

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #5,677 of 8,309
  I've joined the T1 club! 

Having just purchased a T1, what should I be doing to ensure I don't blow it up after I flick the switch. I'm located in Australia where we run off of ~230V 10A circuits, and the T1 I've picked up comes with the EU adapter I believe. I've purchased a 1.6A quick blow fuse to put in once I receive the unit... is the rest as simple as getting a wall plug adapter? 

I think mine came with a multi voltage transformer (110-240) and a two pin plug, with the AU 3 pin adaptor for it. Can't be sure, it's not in front of me right now. 

Check the transformer, it should be fairly clear what it will accept for an input voltage. 

Good luck with the T1, I loved mine with headphones at work, but it's now fixed in a speaker setup in my kitchen. 

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #5,678 of 8,309
  Wonder if anybody took the plunge on the Siemens E88CC which CoiL is raving about. :)

Right now, I'm still using my trusty Amperex OG which is amazing but if there's anything better out there, I'd definitely be all ears.

I also have a Siemens E88CC and it has the most bass compared to any of the other tubes I've tried.

If you're into bass, and also want nice extended, airy highs I recommend it.

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #5,679 of 8,309
  Followed the advice from the OP of this thread who stated that another tube is "better" in his view ; http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=567610&highlight=aune+t1

Bought the GE that he gave the biggest marks to and I guess it's because he uses a tube amp as well but I find that although it has good articulation, that it's quite bass shy. His comments on the bass seem to insinuate that he has a bass-heavy rig or at least is predisposed to having natural bass extension. My guess is the Amperex OG tube pushes it over the top and therefore the user finds it to be too much.

If you're interested in the tube, let me know and I could sell it to you. Otherwise, I'll keep it for troubleshooting purposes and as a spare in case anything happens to my beloved OG.

Hmmm interesting. I bought some GE "Smoked" 6DJ8's a while back because somebody else recommended them here, I think they were listening to electronic music. 

I've decided to pop one in this week and let it burn in... it actually sounds to me like so far the emphasis is on the mids, a bit lower pitched than the OG which I find has this slight emphasis on the high mids and seems to make vocals sound very 3d to me. Electric guitar and cello is sounding very nice (listening to Andrew Bird). Also surprisingly seems to have a pretty large soundstage so far. I'll let it burn in for a good 20-30 hours and see how it sounds... very surprised reading the comments on AK, although that is an ECC86 made in Holland. My GE's are 6DJ8's from the states (purchased cheap on ebay... I think they went 2 for $20 with shipping).

Anyone roll GE's a lot with their Aune T1 and want to chime in? I'd love to hear more impressions.

Jul 29, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #5,680 of 8,309
I am interested in going to a tube setup and was curious how well this pairs with T90 or HE400?

I have the t1 and he-400's. Im absolutely loving this setup. This is my first dive into mid-fi, hi-fi, whatever you want to call it. I dont find the treble to be too much. What is a problem is hdtracks! They keep taking my money!

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #5,681 of 8,309
  I also have a Siemens E88CC and it has the most bass compared to any of the other tubes I've tried.

If you're into bass, and also want nice extended, airy highs I recommend it.

According to your short review elsewhere in this thread, the Siemens has a narrower soundstage than the Amperex. Is that still your verdict?

Are there any other attributes that you found are in stark contrast between the two?

Hmmm interesting. I bought some GE "Smoked" 6DJ8's a while back because somebody else recommended them here, I think they were listening to electronic music. 

I've decided to pop one in this week and let it burn in... it actually sounds to me like so far the emphasis is on the mids, a bit lower pitched than the OG which I find has this slight emphasis on the high mids and seems to make vocals sound very 3d to me. Electric guitar and cello is sounding very nice (listening to Andrew Bird). Also surprisingly seems to have a pretty large soundstage so far. I'll let it burn in for a good 20-30 hours and see how it sounds... very surprised reading the comments on AK, although that is an ECC86 made in Holland. My GE's are 6DJ8's from the states (purchased cheap on ebay... I think they went 2 for $20 with shipping).

Anyone roll GE's a lot with their Aune T1 and want to chime in? I'd love to hear more impressions.

Well, I bought the GE that this poster gave the top marks to and was a little disappointed.

I found it to be anemic in the bass department, although it does have a nice organic articulated midrange and clear highs. If somebody is trying to tame some cans that are a little bass-heavy, I'd recommend that tube for sure.

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #5,682 of 8,309

I've got two GE tubes I've tried in my T1 (and also in my Bravo V1):

1972 Holland-made GE ECC85/6AQ8 Single Leg Dimple Disc Getter
1972 Holland-made GE ECC86/6GM8 A Frame Dimple Disc Getter

It depends on which headphones I use, but the ECC85 is still my favorite sounding tube for my K550, but not so much on my Fidelio X1. On that one I prefer the OG and Bugle Boy sound. I haven't given the ECC86 much listening time on either headphone. My first impressions of the ECC86 was "meh". It was kind of flat and dull sounding, though it may just need some time to burn in since it was advertised as NOS.

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #5,683 of 8,309

According to your short review elsewhere in this thread, the Siemens has a narrower soundstage than the Amperex. Is that still your verdict?

Are there any other attributes that you found are in stark contrast between the two?

Well, I bought the GE that this poster gave the top marks to and was a little disappointed.

I found it to be anemic in the bass department, although it does have a nice organic articulated midrange and clear highs. If somebody is trying to tame some cans that are a little bass-heavy, I'd recommend that tube for sure.

Yeah, I still personally prefer the soundstage width and resolution of the Amperex 7308 to the Siemens E88CC. I find it easier to resolve individual instruments with the Amperex tube, and although it is arguably less exciting to me than the Siemens, I usually prefer it for the resolution. I love the holographic sound of the OG, and the beautiful mids of the 7308.

The Siemens tube has great bass... deep, full sounding to me, without muddying things up. I would say the Siemens definitely has the edge for deeper bass, and airy, extended highs. Where the Amperex tubes shine for me are the mids and resolution, which to me is a great match with the HD-650s. I haven't had as much listening time with my Siemens and HE-500's, but I suspect that the Siemens brings out some excitement with the planars. I may prefer this tube more for these headphones... I'll have to see. (I'm a sucker for acoustic guitar and vocals, but I really like the very natural sound of the kick drum and toms with the Siemens.)

Just for reference, the Amperex 6DJ8 OG is a Holland, dimpled getter GAC ∆9F5.
7308 is white label Holland PQ halo getter ∆3E2.
Siemens has no label, halo getter AØ 1 4F

Jul 30, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #5,684 of 8,309
I'll be getting my french ECC189 in something like a week, which will bring my total tube collection to... 7?
So far my favorite tube is the Holland ECC85/6AQ8, originally had a GE one that went bad so now I'm using an RCA(Amperex made in Holland) that's close enough that it's still my favorite.

For those who would care to hear what I say, here is a rough list of preference based on general usage and mostly with EQing of some sort, I'll try and get reviews going at some point without using EQ so things are a little more honest but in the meantime
For reference I mainly use my DT990s with the T1, if anyone wants me to give a review using other cans I also have in my possession: DT770s, Senn HD280 PROs and MDR-V6s. 
If anyone is curious I can also give some comments about using my FiiO E17 as an amp too, though I don't use it for that too often as I'm pretty satisfied with the T1 amp.

But for now my rough list:
1.  ECC85/6AQ8 GE Made in Holland                      4.5/5 - These came the closest I've heard to a perfect match for my DT990s, good bass, very clear and very very wide soundstage, feels like you can close your eyes and pretend you're in a concert hall. Unfortunately developed strong noise in the right channel on low frequencies. Great bass, good mids and great highs.

2.  ECC85/6AQ8 RCA(Amperex) Made in Holland   4.25/5 - Been using this one for nearly a week, so far it feels like it's not as clear as the GE but that very well could be my imagination combined with my using EQ. Wish I could compare it to my GE 6AQ8, might still give it a go since at least one channel sounds fine. Great bass, good mids and good(for now) highs.

3.  ECC88/6DJ8 GE Made in USA                            4.0/5 - These came close to the 6AQ8 in terms of the highs, mids, and lows but I feel like the soundstage is much narrower. Haven't done much A/B testing though so not entirely too sure how it compares. Also I can't remember if it was the GE or Sylvania that had better bass. Good bass, mids and highs

4.  ECC88/6DJ8 Sylvania Made in USA                    4.0/5 - See above for the GE 6DJ8, mostly the same sound, need to do some testing for review.

5. ECC88/6H23N Vokshod Made in Russia              3.5/5 - Decent sound but felt lacked some clarity and had a narrow soundstage. Good bass, decent mids and highs. I think these are pretty cool because they're from Soviet Russia, I got a pair for cheap(they only had pairs for some reason...) and you can see the CCCP logo on one of them.

6. ECC88/6922 Electro Harmonix                             3.0/5 - Better highs, more clarity and slightly wider soundstage but worse bass. Don't remember mids enough to comment.

7. ECC85/6AQ8 Mullard Made in Britain                     ?/5 - Mad noise on both channels, much worse than GE 6AQ8. $23 down the drain lol.

That's it for now, I'll have a more detailed and accurate list later that'll also include the ECC189.
A word of warning for anyone thinking of picking up a 6AQ8 tube, they don't always play nice with our T1 so you may end up getting a "bad" tube or two depending on your luck, it may be wiser to try other alternatives if you're strapped for cash; The 6DJ8 USA tubes are quite excellent for the money.
I'll probably pick up a Siemens E88CC at some point to see if it's claim to fame bass is accurate.

Jul 30, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #5,685 of 8,309
  I'll be getting my french ECC189 in something like a week, which will bring my total tube collection to... 7?
So far my favorite tube is the Holland ECC85/6AQ8, originally had a GE one that went bad so now I'm using an RCA(Amperex made in Holland) that's close enough that it's still my favorite.

For those who would care to hear what I say, here is a rough list of preference based on general usage and mostly with EQing of some sort, I'll try and get reviews going at some point without using EQ so things are a little more honest but in the meantime
For reference I mainly use my DT990s with the T1, if anyone wants me to give a review using other cans I also have in my possession: DT770s, Senn HD280 PROs and MDR-V6s. 
If anyone is curious I can also give some comments about using my FiiO E17 as an amp too, though I don't use it for that too often as I'm pretty satisfied with the T1 amp.

But for now my rough list:
1.  ECC85/6AQ8 GE Made in Holland                      4.5/5 - These came the closest I've heard to a perfect match for my DT990s, good bass, very clear and very very wide soundstage, feels like you can close your eyes and pretend you're in a concert hall. Unfortunately developed strong noise in the right channel on low frequencies. Great bass, good mids and great highs.

2.  ECC85/6AQ8 RCA(Amperex) Made in Holland   4.25/5 - Been using this one for nearly a week, so far it feels like it's not as clear as the GE but that very well could be my imagination combined with my using EQ. Wish I could compare it to my GE 6AQ8, might still give it a go since at least one channel sounds fine. Great bass, good mids and good(for now) highs.

3.  ECC88/6DJ8 GE Made in USA                            4.0/5 - These came close to the 6AQ8 in terms of the highs, mids, and lows but I feel like the soundstage is much narrower. Haven't done much A/B testing though so not entirely too sure how it compares. Also I can't remember if it was the GE or Sylvania that had better bass. Good bass, mids and highs

4.  ECC88/6DJ8 Sylvania Made in USA                    4.0/5 - See above for the GE 6DJ8, mostly the same sound, need to do some testing for review.

5. ECC88/6H23N Vokshod Made in Russia              3.5/5 - Decent sound but felt lacked some clarity and had a narrow soundstage. Good bass, decent mids and highs. I think these are pretty cool because they're from Soviet Russia, I got a pair for cheap(they only had pairs for some reason...) and you can see the CCCP logo on one of them.

6. ECC88/6922 Electro Harmonix                             3.0/5 - Better highs, more clarity and slightly wider soundstage but worse bass. Don't remember mids enough to comment.

7. ECC85/6AQ8 Mullard Made in Britain                     ?/5 - Mad noise on both channels, much worse than GE 6AQ8. $23 down the drain lol.

That's it for now, I'll have a more detailed and accurate list later that'll also include the ECC189.
A word of warning for anyone thinking of picking up a 6AQ8 tube, they don't always play nice with our T1 so you may end up getting a "bad" tube or two depending on your luck, it may be wiser to try other alternatives if you're strapped for cash; The 6DJ8 USA tubes are quite excellent for the money.
I'll probably pick up a Siemens E88CC at some point to see if it's claim to fame bass is accurate.

Thanks for the impressions. I'm curious to hear what you would think about the Holland Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8. I don't have any high-end open headphones to test it with, but on my M-100 the sound stage I get is huge. I'll have to check out the RCA ECC85/6AQ8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back