Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jul 27, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #5,656 of 8,309
If anyone is building a pc, try get this motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4952#ov
It has a special usb port made solely for usb DAC's at the back to reduce power flucuations. The motherboard itself has nichicon capacitors with an upgradeable OP amp and gain switches.
I have this myself and feel there is more clarity and vocals are better.

I also roll USB cables, I now have 4 ^_^ 

Jul 27, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #5,657 of 8,309
  I've tried everything you could possibly think of. That was one of the first things I tried.

Trust me ; there was no other solution.

I'm sure you've tried all other options, I'm just advising that in most cases there's a cheaper and simpler solution than a USB isolator; In some cases like yours there is no other options.

Jul 27, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #5,658 of 8,309
  I highly advise to not buy from Audiophonics.fr. They might ship fast, but when it comes down to RMA they simply won't answer. Handing the case over to PayPal.

Ouch. Seems they can redeem themselves. I ordered an MK2 there an hour ago eventhough my first experience was similar to yours. Quite sloppy service..

Jul 27, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #5,660 of 8,309
Hey, that happened to me as well! God awful
confused_face.gif
How hard can it be? Don't hold back and keep spamming them.

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #5,661 of 8,309
Anyone tried the Telefunken E88CC?

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/telefunken-e88cc-6922/

I'm getting the itch... Currently using an Amperex 7308 off eBay which is nice, but it seems the Telefunken might have even less noise and more separation. Running my Ultrasone Sig Pros through the Aune, and I'm craving wider soundstage.

Also considering getting an O2 to use instead of the built-in amp. Big improvement, or marginal? My Sig Pros aren't hard to drive, once again more looking for extra detail, separation, and soundstage.

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #5,662 of 8,309
Followed the advice from the OP of this thread who stated that another tube is "better" in his view ; http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=567610&highlight=aune+t1

Bought the GE that he gave the biggest marks to and I guess it's because he uses a tube amp as well but I find that although it has good articulation, that it's quite bass shy. His comments on the bass seem to insinuate that he has a bass-heavy rig or at least is predisposed to having natural bass extension. My guess is the Amperex OG tube pushes it over the top and therefore the user finds it to be too much.

If you're interested in the tube, let me know and I could sell it to you. Otherwise, I'll keep it for troubleshooting purposes and as a spare in case anything happens to my beloved OG.

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #5,663 of 8,309
  Followed the advice from the OP of this thread who stated that another tube is "better" in his view ; http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=567610&highlight=aune+t1

Bought the GE that he gave the biggest marks to and I guess it's because he uses a tube amp as well but I find that although it has good articulation, that it's quite bass shy. His comments on the bass seem to insinuate that he has a bass-heavy rig or at least is predisposed to having natural bass extension. My guess is the Amperex OG tube pushes it over the top and therefore the user finds it to be too much.

If you're interested in the tube, let me know and I could sell it to you. Otherwise, I'll keep it for troubleshooting purposes and as a spare in case anything happens to my beloved OG.

Have you tried applying some EQ to bring up the bass? Personally I have found the bass on most tubes to be not quite as much as I want so usually I have to go in and tweak it a bit.

If you don't have an EQ program and want to try, I would recommend Viper4Windows (What I use) or if you want to get a little more technical Equalizer APO: http://www.head-fi.org/t/649389/a-free-parametric-equalizer-for-windows-vista-7-and-8-that-doesnt-need-asio-or-vst-it-works-inline-at-the-os-level

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #5,664 of 8,309
Oops! I should have done a Google search before posting.

Telefunken E88CC
Gold pins, Halo getter

Unlike with the Siemens above, I got exactly what I expected from the hype around this tube. Clear soundstage and a very open and rich sound. With my HE-400 it may already be a bit too bright for my taste.

A bit bright? I have Sig Pros... I think I'll survive. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #5,666 of 8,309
  Hello I'm considering the the aune but i'm curious tubes generally last and how difficult they are to switch?

Hard in term of wallet damage or changing the tubes? If wallet, I think Aune T1 and tube rolling isn't so hard on wallet. Pretty happy with Amperex OG 6DJ88. For changing the tubes, it's not that hard neither. Just carefully pull the tube, and replace it with a new tube carefully. It's about a year and none of my tubes faulty, including vintage tubes.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #5,668 of 8,309

Have you tried applying some EQ to bring up the bass? Personally I have found the bass on most tubes to be not quite as much as I want so usually I have to go in and tweak it a bit.

If you don't have an EQ program and want to try, I would recommend Viper4Windows (What I use) or if you want to get a little more technical Equalizer APO: http://www.head-fi.org/t/649389/a-free-parametric-equalizer-for-windows-vista-7-and-8-that-doesnt-need-asio-or-vst-it-works-inline-at-the-os-level

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out if it ever comes to that but I don't tend to favor outrageous EQs because they'll affect things in negative ways. For instance, using EQ typically introduces more distortion. In some instances, it can effect the delicate balance between the frequencies.

The tubes themselves should allow the sound to naturally bloom in all frequencies. Frankly, the tubes themselves introduce some distortion and incorporating some artificial EQ would jack that up as well.

But I do appreciate the link and will bookmark it if I ever need it in the future.

For my personal tastes, I thought the difference between both the Amperex OG and the GE were rather staggering ; the GE was weaker and had more of a laid-back approach with good articulation but next to no bass. I also found it a tad cold and analytical.-sounding. Meanwhile, the OG has a more forward presentation (although without any ear fatigue) and tons of *deep* bass. Good musicality as well. It's definitely more to my liking. It exhibits a warmer sound for sure.

Of course, there's no accounting for tastes so feel free to review both yourself and report back. :)

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #5,669 of 8,309
I've joined the T1 club! 

Having just purchased a T1, what should I be doing to ensure I don't blow it up after I flick the switch. I'm located in Australia where we run off of ~230V 10A circuits, and the T1 I've picked up comes with the EU adapter I believe. I've purchased a 1.6A quick blow fuse to put in once I receive the unit... is the rest as simple as getting a wall plug adapter? 

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #5,670 of 8,309
I highly advise to not buy from Audiophonics.fr. They might ship fast, but when it comes down to RMA they simply won't answer. Handing the case over to PayPal.

Originally Posted by reiserFS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They said that I'll be getting a full refund. That was on Wednesday though, nothing on my PayPal yet.

Any word from them yet? They do ship fast. It was send out the day after ordering. It better not be DOA or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back