Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jul 30, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #5,702 of 8,309

Sorry, it looks like there are rather big, clear rubber feet covering the screws for doing that, so I'm going to contact the seller before I do permanent damage on the thing (which I really don't want to do).

Bummer, but it looks like earlier in the thread that someone else got a MK2 DOA as well...

Are you absolutely positive that the tube is properly and fully inserted? You should not be seeing any of the pins once it's fully in place.

The switch has a big swing so you should not be seeing very little difference between it being in the on and off positions.

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #5,703 of 8,309
Well, do you have a big difference between the top switch and the rear switch?

Because for me it's like night and day!

The top switch is firm and with a proper mechanical "click", while the rear switch just basically rattles.

The seller got back to me and said that they will contact tech... whatever that means...

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #5,704 of 8,309

The top switch is firm and with a proper mechanical "click", while the rear switch just basically rattles.

The seller got back to me and said that they will contact tech... whatever that means...

The rear switch should be like the top switch.

Aug 1, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #5,707 of 8,309
Hrmm seems that quality control is definitely an issue. How was your heat issue Strat? Did swapping tubes help with keeping it cool, or are you still rocking the fan?

Rocking the fan, huh? LOL!

Well,... no. I don't know why but since I swapped tubes and eventually put my Amperex OG tube back in, I've had zero issues. None whatsoever. And that's hours and hours upon hours of listening to music loudly, too.

Maybe the tube wasn't seated properly? I could've sworn I had pushed down properly on it but perhaps not 100%. In any case, no fan needed to keep it cool anymore. But let's not forget that my unit is in a sealed closet so it gets 7-10 degrees hotter in there than it is outside of it. Nevertheless, no issues for the past week and I've been putting it through its paces.

I *love* the sound of that tube! Let me know if you managed to find a soldering iron on your end and whether your offer still stands. I'll understand if it doesn't, no worries. :)

In the meantime, I've purchased a soldering kit so that I can learn how to do that properly. I hope to eventually perform some modifications for myself but ideally, I'd rather leave that to people such as yourself who are naturally more skilled than I (especially right now) in that regard. :wink:

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #5,708 of 8,309

Had the exact same problem.

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #5,709 of 8,309
lol, I have removed that switch from the PCB and re-soldered it back in to get a better angle on soldering caps inside the T1.

Aug 2, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #5,710 of 8,309
  lol, I have removed that switch from the PCB and re-soldered it back in to get a better angle on soldering caps inside the T1.

Genius. I have been trying to fit all of my caps into the case... that would be a good place to start. Did you manage to get them soldered in and fitting in the case?

@Strat-Mangler ohh ok, sorry, someone mentioned they had used a little usb fan to keep their Aune cool. I'll let you know if I do manage to get them soldered all to fit in the case :wink: 

Also, haven't finished with that GE smokey tube... I made the mistake of putting my 7308 back in for a listen and it just sounds so much better... hard to go back to burning in the GE.

Aug 2, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #5,711 of 8,309
I've been using the T1 as my primary amp for a few months now. I just started experimenting with running it as a DAC only, sending the line out to different amps.

My first stab was runnig the following chain: Mac> Aune T1 (line out)> JDS Labs CMoyBB> AKG K701

The results were incredible! You get the nice tube warmth and punchiness of the Aune and a bass boost which is absolutely perfect for the K701's (IMO) somewhat bland and bass-free sound signature. (Note: you should purchase the 2x 9v CMoy and specify your AKG model if you are duplicaing this experiment- the7xx models need lots of current). To my ears, the combined sound is gorgeous.

Anyway, I wanted to share my successful experiment with my fellow T1 owners and ask if anyone else has tried the "amp rolling" thing? What amp/headphone combos have you tried using the T1 as a DAC only?

Aug 2, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #5,713 of 8,309
I've been using the T1 as my primary amp for a few months now. I just started experimenting with running it as a DAC only, sending the line out to different amps.

My first stab was runnig the following chain: Mac> Aune T1 (line out)> JDS Labs CMoyBB> AKG K701

The results were incredible! You get the nice tube warmth and punchiness of the Aune and a bass boost which is absolutely perfect for the K701's (IMO) somewhat bland and bass-free sound signature. (Note: you should purchase the 2x 9v CMoy and specify your AKG model if you are duplicaing this experiment- the7xx models need lots of current). To my ears, the combined sound is gorgeous.

Anyway, I wanted to share my successful experiment with my fellow T1 owners and ask if anyone else has tried the "amp rolling" thing? What amp/headphone combos have you tried using the T1 as a DAC only?

I'm running the T1 with a Holland Ameperex Orange Globe 1969 fed into a FiiO E9. My primary headphones are the V-MODA M-100 and the decreased bass and increased sound stage of the OG tube helps with the dark, closed sound of my cans. Lana Del Ray on this set up is incredible.

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #5,714 of 8,309
I've tried objective2, Magni, Vali, darkvoice 336 and e17. objective2 and darkvoice are my faves

Interesting! I've thought about the Objective 2. What were the changes you noticed vs. the stock Aune SS amp section?

Never considered the Darkvoice with the T1 before... From what I've read, it sounds like people really like them. I was considering a double down on the tubes with a T1> Bottlehead Crack> HD650 chain.

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #5,715 of 8,309
I'm running the T1 with a Holland Ameperex Orange Globe 1969 fed into a FiiO E9. My primary headphones are the V-MODA M-100 and the decreased bass and increased sound stage of the OG tube helps with the dark, closed sound of my cans. Lana Del Ray on this set up is incredible.

I actually have an E09K and an M80. Maybe I can try a mini version of that combo! I hadn't actually considered pairing them before- the T1 is my main work setup and I have the Fiio E17/09k combo at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back