Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Feb 9, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #691 of 8,309
It could be that 6922EH has somewhat wider soundstage, but rocket logo has better balance within its intimacy (if that makes any sense). The differences are not huge but noticeable enough to make me enjoy the rocket more. With 6922EH the vocals are not so well balanced with the overall sound stage imo. Like I said earlier I'd like more space between me and the singer to match the overall vibe of 6922. With the rocket the sound stage is a bit more intimate which goes better with the mental image of the singer being close to you. Rocket creates this sweet intimate warm cosy vibe and is the kind of tube you want to play loud. I can see my normal levels are now 50-60%. 2 rockets for $18 is definitely a good deal. Highly recommended. What I would like next is to get a tube with wide sound stage and balanced transparency all across the spectrum. I'm getting excited here guys :wink:

One more thing. In rocket tube the logo faces you which is nice. In the case of 6922EH the logo stays on the backside of the tube. I just think its cool to see the logo while the tube is in use. You can easily tell which tube you have on atm if you are, for example, constantly switching them.

Rocking Bill Withers atm. Cool stuff!

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #692 of 8,309
Quote:
Oh man .... Why did I have to visit Upscale's website tonight? I would never had known they had these back in stock: http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Telefunken-E88CC-%7B47%7D-6922.html -- and consequently would be $200 richer right now.

Dude... this is getting out of hand :D Hopefully you have decent salary and/or lots of savings.

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #693 of 8,309
Would like to get your impressions of the Tele. I had a pair or two but know I sold at least one as I did not prefer it The miniwatt was not favorable as a buffer but great in the SP9. CCAs were excellent and if I had FU money maybe but these tube lore tubes havent really done it for me considering the old Amperex is about as good as it comes. But, different applications, ect. Somebody need to try the old clear and black Shugang

Also, I think its important for guys to list their setup especially the cans, we know basically the aune via usb.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #694 of 8,309
Dude... this is getting out of hand :D Hopefully you have decent salary and/or lots of savings.

The income tax fairy was nice this year. My wife will claim the rest for home improvements, so I needed to get my treats before I give her the rest.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #695 of 8,309
Would like to get your impressions of the Tele. I had a pair or two but know I sold at least one as I did not prefer it The miniwatt was not favorable as a buffer but great in the SP9. CCAs were excellent and if I had FU money maybe but these tube lore tubes havent really done it for me considering the old Amperex is about as good as it comes. But, different applications, ect. Somebody need to try the old clear and black Shugang

Also, I think its important for guys to list their setup especially the cans, we know basically the aune via usb.

You're absolutely right on the setup, I'm using a Mac with iTunes & BitPerfect & a Windows VM with Fidelify and JRiver. My headphones are K 702 65th anniversary edition. Very simple setup.

I've heard really good things about the Tele's transparency, neutrality and soundstage.

Anyway, if I don't like it, near perfect ones are rare enough that I can sell it for close to the asking price.

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #696 of 8,309
Quote:
XpIisit - I ordered mine and received in 3 days from upscale. I would call them at this point, maybe the shipping co. lost your package. Did you get an order processing email?

Nope it says awaiting shipment so they haven't even shipped it, on the 29th Jan they said 1-2 days will be shipped but yeah nothing since then order status hasn't changed and no reply to my email I sent day or 2 ago, so far its been a pretty bad first experience with them, especially considering I paid $140 for the Amperex 7308 as shipping alone was $54 (live in Australia so shipping cost more) anyway will wait a bit longer see what happens.

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #697 of 8,309
Quote:
It could be that 6922EH has somewhat wider soundstage, but rocket logo has better balance within its intimacy (if that makes any sense). The differences are not huge but noticeable enough to make me enjoy the rocket more. With 6922EH the vocals are not so well balanced with the overall sound stage imo. Like I said earlier I'd like more space between me and the singer to match the overall vibe of 6922. With the rocket the sound stage is a bit more intimate which goes better with the mental image of the singer being close to you. Rocket creates this sweet intimate warm cosy vibe and is the kind of tube you want to play loud. I can see my normal levels are now 50-60%. 2 rockets for $18 is definitely a good deal. Highly recommended. What I would like next is to get a tube with wide sound stage and balanced transparency all across the spectrum. I'm getting excited here guys :wink:

This all must be the difference with cans because with HD-681mkII + 6922EH the soundstage is HUGE! Also with this combination there`s enough space between singer and listener, maybe even too much and vocals seem well enough balanced for me. It just must be the difference in cans. Haven`t tried rocket logo but 6N23P reflektor logo is too intimate, close and narrow/foward sounding to me.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #698 of 8,309
Nope it says awaiting shipment so they haven't even shipped it, on the 29th Jan they said 1-2 days will be shipped but yeah nothing since then order status hasn't changed and no reply to my email I sent day or 2 ago, so far its been a pretty bad first experience with them, especially considering I paid $140 for the Amperex 7308 as shipping alone was $54 (live in Australia so shipping cost more) anyway will wait a bit longer see what happens.

If you can afford to call them with Skype or something I'd try that. They are usually really good with this stuff, but if your case goes badly I'll stop shopping there.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #699 of 8,309
Quote:
This all must be the difference with cans because with HD-681mkII + 6922EH the soundstage is HUGE! Also with this combination there`s enough space between singer and listener, maybe even too much and vocals seem well enough balanced for me. It just must be the difference in cans. Haven`t tried rocket logo but 6N23P reflektor logo is too intimate, close and narrow/foward sounding to me.

Sure there is that big ol' sound stage but I like the rocket more with all its intimacy and balance. These two tubes definitely have different "shaped" sound stages or should I say stereo images. I feel that with 6922EH the sound is wide with vocals staying in front of you (quite close). In the case of rocket everything seems to be in front equally separated (but in smaller space). With EH more sounds are coming from sides. I guess I could say that with rocket it is like listening band live in some basement and with EH it is like listening band in bigger concert hall where the sound has more space to move around and "attack" your ears from different directions. In this sense I share your impressions for saying that reflector/rocket is more narrow sounding (not the same tube but I think we both know what we are talking about here). The rocket seems to be especially great for some older rough blues rock just because of that intimate basement kind of vibe. I listened some Gregg Allman, Musselwhite and Otis Taylor and got really immersed to the music. Maybe its not the best tube for listening all kind of music and I could see myself preferring 6922EH for some songs. For example when listening Elton John I got that big stage live feel and thought that EH could be better suited here. I just don't want to be switching tubes all the time. Don't even know how much rolling the tube socket can take :wink: In the end it all comes to personal preferences I guess. I don't have the best skills to explain things but If you like to listen some older blues get this cheap tube, roll the volume up to 50+%, close your eyes and enjoy.

All this blabber aside the most positive thing is that after careful comparison there are indeed noticeable differences between the sound of tubes. And this makes me super excited. I can now see how some folks here *cough* toschek *cough* has gotten hooked into this tube rolling business.

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #701 of 8,309
The only tubes originally designed for audio are 7308/E188CC.

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #702 of 8,309
Side discussion about the T1 - speakers!

If you look at my new desktop rig (Ver. 1.0
atsmile.gif
) You'll see have some speakers for a simple 2 ch system.

The problem is that I upgraded four things at once:

1. They went from the desktop on either side of monitors to up on monitor stands.
2. I also used Sorbathane pads between the speaker and top stand plate.
3. I used a new cable from Momoprice to go from the OUT on the T1 to an IN on my Onkyo 606 Receiver.
4. I have the T1 on a maple platform with Sorbathane pads under it as well as put Sorbathane pads under the 606.

WOW
blink.gif

What an improvement out of the speakers. - but I don't know if it was one of the upgrades or a little of everything.

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #703 of 8,309
Quote:

Sure there is that big ol' sound stage but I like the rocket more with all its intimacy and balance. These two tubes definitely have different "shaped" sound stages or should I say stereo images. I feel that with 6922EH the sound is wide with vocals staying in front of you (quite close). In the case of rocket everything seems to be in front equally separated (but in smaller space). With EH more sounds are coming from sides. I guess I could say that with rocket it is like listening band live in some basement and with EH it is like listening band in bigger concert hall where the sound has more space to move around and "attack" your ears from different directions. In this sense I share your impressions for saying that reflector/rocket is more narrow sounding (not the same tube but I think we both know what we are talking about here). The rocket seems to be especially great for some older rough blues rock just because of that intimate basement kind of vibe. I listened some Gregg Allman, Musselwhite and Otis Taylor and got really immersed to the music. Maybe its not the best tube for listening all kind of music and I could see myself preferring 6922EH for some songs. For example when listening Elton John I got that big stage live feel and thought that EH could be better suited here. I just don't want to be switching tubes all the time. Don't even know how much rolling the tube socket can take :wink: In the end it all comes to personal preferences I guess. I don't have the best skills to explain things but If you like to listen some older blues get this cheap tube, roll the volume up to 50+%, close your eyes and enjoy.

All this blabber aside the most positive thing is that after careful comparison there are indeed noticeable differences between the sound of tubes. And this makes me super excited. I can now see how some folks here *cough* toschek *cough* has gotten hooked into this tube rolling business.

Now, this is proper and more accurate describing I`d say :wink: I agree with that all. Just you said before that you need something more spacious than 6922EH sounded wierd to me. I have 8 tubes to compare atm and 2 more coming... none of them hasn`t beaten 6922EH yet in spacious & airy sound. And I just adore this tube with electronic music like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA7Upi-AhWc

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #704 of 8,309
Quote:

Phase shifts- they are heavenly. 

Anyway I got it and so far and I really think there needs to be some burn in. The op amps or something is a bit harsh and crunchy. This will change but I can actually listen to the EH in this set up. Super wide. I love the presentation. The PQ Orange 6922 (Ace card ringer) was a total failure so far on the K702 and HD650. This has to change I would assume. The Shugang like I thought is so far the best. They have always been linear with a inner light able to separate instruments and actually add some amount of air around them on the k702, soundstage isnt quite as wide as the EH and there is a slight thinness to the texture but it make the K702 jump like a hd650- well, almost.

Dont go buy any tubes off of this random rambling Ive only had it for a few hours.

PC-JRiver- Aune-K702/HD650

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #705 of 8,309
I've just gotten the 6922EH today and I haven't really had time to put it through it's paces.   So far I agree with Salvatore's assessment (we actually have the same headphones so that's not a huge surprise).    As I said, not a lot of time spent with it so far, but I am not really all that impressed.   The rocket logo seems to be a better fit with these cans, and the Amperex PQ/early JAN tubes even better.   The EH has a bit more depth/width to the soundstage but instrument separation is not as good as the rocket and cannot even come close to touching the Amperex in any way, shape or form.   The EH also needs a lot more volume than either of these other tubes.   With the EH I have to use at least 10dB gain to get to a listenable level with some of my recordings (e.g. Water Lily Acoustics #WLA-CS-29-CD, Ry Cooder & V.M. Bhatt "A Meeting By The River") -- I don't like using the gain, but if I have to I have to.

Anyway, so far it's decent, but I'm not about to sing it's praises or anything.   IMO stick to the rocket or spend a lot more and get the Amperex.

I'll spend more time with it tomorrow/monday and maybe my opinion will change.   It's a brand new tube so perhaps a little burn in will open it up a little bit.   Gotta go work now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back