Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Feb 10, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #706 of 8,309
The EH also needs a lot more volume than either of these other tubes.

Wth? O_o I guess It`s because of cans? So far all tubes I have, including 6922EH doesn`t need to be taken over 30% volume knob @ 0db gain setting. 

dcfis, if you want more and punchier bass than 6922EH then try Tungsram PCC88. They have same soundstage imo.

The Shugang like I thought is so far the best.

Can you give a link where to get it? Maybe will try if the price is acceptable.

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #707 of 8,309
Quote:
Now, this is proper and more accurate describing I`d say :wink: I agree with that all. Just you said before that you need something more spacious than 6922EH sounded wierd to me. I have 8 tubes to compare atm and 2 more coming... none of them hasn`t beaten 6922EH yet in spacious & airy sound. And I just adore this tube with electronic music like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA7Upi-AhWc

Yeah sorry that was my mistake with the first impression post. What I meant was that 6922EH has wide sound stage, but in its stereo image the vocals are not as balanced as I would like. Thats why I said that the vocals should be further. Rocket, even though sounds narrower, has balanced separation with each instrument. The band I'm listening stays intimatedly in front of me and the vocals stay nicely in the middle of the mix. I think with small tweaks the 6922EH could be awesome. Just need the vocals to sit better in the mix. If you understand what I mean and know a tube to fit my needs that would be much obliged.

I think its easier to draw what I was talking about. In the first picture, rocket on the left hand side and 6922EH on the right hand side (x = listener, v = vocals). In the second picture the upper "v" describes where I feel the vocals should be (Kind of three leaf clover 6922EH, where vocals were a bit further, would be awesome):

Edit: I agree 6922EH is far superior tube for electronic and ambient music. My 6922EH doesn't need any more volume than the rocket. And sorry for my drawing skills :)

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #708 of 8,309
Well crap, I thought I could pick it out easy as there were tons floating around 8 years or so ago. Ive got to do some digging as these are fatter bottle, star mica and have the plate crimps like like Amperex. Not a code on them. 

Ive never tried the Tungstram. We might need to get a swap going. Ive got 

Ediswan CV2492
Mystery Shuguang 6922
JAN Phillips 6922
Bugle Boys
Amperex PQ Gold Pins 6922 different years
Amperex 6dj8s orange and whites (in the home rig- preciouses)- prolly need to stay

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #709 of 8,309
Quote:

Yeah sorry that was my mistake with the first impression post. What I meant was that 6922EH has wide sound stage, but in its stereo image the vocals are not as balanced as I would like. Thats why I said that the vocals should be further. Rocket, even though sounds narrower, has balanced separation with each instrument. The band I'm listening stays intimatedly in front of me and the vocals stay nicely in the middle of the mix. I think with small tweaks the 6922EH could be awesome. Just need the vocals to sit better in the mix. If you understand what I mean and know a tube to fit my needs that would be much obliged.

I think its easier to draw what I was talking about. In the first picture, rocket on the left hand side and 6922EH on the right hand side (x = listener, v = vocals). In the second picture the upper "v" describes where I feel the vocals should be (Kind of three leaf clover 6922EH, where vocals were a bit further, would be awesome):

Edit: I agree 6922EH is far superior tube for electronic and ambient music. My 6922EH doesn't need any more volume than the rocket. And sorry for my drawing skills :)

I think this is where cans difference comes in. With HD-681 mkII it`s exactly (or very close) as you would like it, something like this:

It`s the only tube that goes so far back from my head (e: you have to have certain music to experience that, not everything sounds like that). And with electronic "atmospheric" music it`s just great! And you don`t get the feeling that it`s too hollow and too big hall-like soundstage that instruments & details start to get lost. For electronic music it`s just right amount of everything imo.  

Amperex 6dj8s orange and whites (in the home rig- preciouses)- prolly need to stay

Any single support leg dimple disc amongst them? If there is - try it with T1! Great tube!

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #711 of 8,309

You do not need to buy them if you don`t want ;D But they are freaking awsome bang-for-a-buck for the sound they make and if you feel highs too harsh like some ppl do with the grados you can add easy mkII filter. Here is a loooong thread about them: http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/thread/4769
Some find these cans with mods better than much more expensive cans: 
Call me stupid but I prefer the HD681 with filter above my HD650 and DT770 and DT880

Here are my cans with self-made angled pads and mkII filter (that wooden box): http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/post/124411/thread

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #712 of 8,309
Wth? O_o I guess It`s because of cans? So far all tubes I have, including 6922EH doesn`t need to be taken over 30% volume knob @ 0db gain setting. 

dcfis, if you want more and punchier bass than 6922EH then try Tungsram PCC88. They have same soundstage imo.

Can you give a link where to get it? Maybe will try if the price is acceptable.

Dude, I'm just calling it as I see it. I wish it worked better. Maybe it's a bad tube? I don't know. I left it on for the past 12 hours blasting pink/white noise at 16dB (headphones disconnected, just volume cranked). It was hot when I got home but the sound was no better than when I left -- in fact it sounds worse!

Popped my Amperex back in and it's back to heaven.

I'm ready to write off the 6922EH as defective at this point, gonna call on Monday for an exchamge. Something minor that pissed me off -- these old tubes I have all came in 50 - 55 year old boxes that still stay together. The 6922EH tube is brand new and the box fell apart in my hands in 5 minutes.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #713 of 8,309
Yeah, I belive it`s defective. I have seen other mentions about shi**y quality EH`s that will "burn out" fast or are broken, luckily I got good one :wink:

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #714 of 8,309
Yeah, that's how EH got on my s**t list in the first place. Bad quality control all around. Don't even get me started on what they did to the Big Muff π.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #715 of 8,309
Quote:
It`s the only tube that goes so far back from my head (e: you have to have certain music to experience that, not everything sounds like that).

Yeah I have some songs where the stereo image is so 3D that it goes far back of my head. Dave Matthews gravedigger (the version with conga intro) is one of those songs. 6922EH just extends this effect and hence makes it very nice tube especially for electronic and ambient music. AKGs are known to have great sound stage and annies are among the best headphones I've tested, but it would be nice to test different tubes with 6922EH like sound stage but slightly different stereo image.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #716 of 8,309
Well, I cleaned the contacts on the 6922EH as a last ditch effort, and it seems to have resolved whatever the issue was.   Seems like it's working as intended now.    It's actually a decent tube, not as intimate as the rocket logo, but it's got a nice soundstage and excellent separation.  It isn't as WOW as the 7308 I've got, but it's good for the price.  Overall I think it is similar to my Amperex in some ways, but falls short of the real thing.   Everything you like about this tube is x5 with the Amperex plus some change, but it's a good budget alternative as long as you are aware of the caveats.

I'm glad I cleaned the contacts, it'll be a good backup tube to have.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #717 of 8,309
New 6922EH with dirty contacts? Wonder if they soaked it in oil to avoid pin oxidation or something? ;D Anyway, my new EH had very clean and nice "nickel" coating pins.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #718 of 8,309
Yeah there was some kind of schmutz on one of the pins, whatever it was its working & I think its pretty decent now. I'll put it about 5th in my current list.

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #719 of 8,309
Reading through the rest of the thread, I have decided to try alternatives to the standard "upgraded" EH tube. At the moment I only have 2 tubes to compare, the EH and a Mullard ECC88, Made in Holland. I should eventually receive the Amperex, much look forward to that one as well.

Having recently purchased a higher-end amp, I am only using the Aune T1 now as a DAC. In the absence of other options, I think it's doing a decent job.

After a bit of tube rolling with the 2 above, I am not at all impressed with the default EH and I think there's a lot that the Mullard does better, such as detailing, instrument separation, better quality bass. I may update this with further observations as I get past the burn-in stage.

In summary I would describe Mullard as engaging whereas when I switch back to the EH it's a bit flat and dull.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #720 of 8,309
In summary I would describe Mullard as engaging whereas when I switch back to the EH it's a bit flat and dull.

Agree with the Mullard part, it`s great tube, but don`t agree with the EH being flat and dull part. Maybe it`s from your headphones (flat sounding cans?) that can`t represent such spacious soundstage? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back