Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
Feb 22, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #781 of 1,991
I need to look those buds up. Just got a pair of CampFred as well as TY Hi-Z 32ohm and 400ohm and am really liking them all. I should get the TY Hi-Z 400ohm reterminated as balanced. I think that would synergize really well with M1s balanced out!

Going balanced with high impedance buds really helps. Single-ended, DAPs battle to power them alone, then you head down the garden path with amps, etc....balanced you get more power. I used to swear by my Pono and my Zen V1 terminated in balanced configuration. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #782 of 1,991
Hi. I just acquired a new M1s. Two quick questions.

1. I'm trying to update to firmware 1.03 (from 1.00). I'm failing. I have downloaded the file onto my mSD card and left it in the root directory. I then return the SD card to my M1s. I then go to 'System Upgrade', accept the option to upgrade, and then get a red 'check file error' in the middle of the screen with 'jump app' at the bottom. The M1s then rescans my music. Am I doing something wrong? 

2. During playback, I'm getting a lot of brief cut-outs/skips in the middle of songs. I'm not quite sure why. I'm using a lexpro 128gb card, in case that makes a difference.

Initial listening suggests that the sound is promising, but I'd ideally like to get it running as well as possible.

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #783 of 1,991

1. I'm trying to update to firmware 1.03 (from 1.00). I'm failing. I have downloaded the file onto my mSD card and left it in the root directory. I then return the SD card to my M1s. I then go to 'System Upgrade', accept the option to upgrade, and then get a red 'check file error' in the middle of the screen with 'jump app' at the bottom. The M1s then rescans my music. Am I doing something wrong? 

2. During playback, I'm getting a lot of brief cut-outs/skips in the middle of songs. I'm not quite sure why. I'm using a lexpro 128gb card, in case that makes a difference.

Initial listening suggests that the sound is promising, but I'd ideally like to get it running as well as possible.

Thanks!

Is the file update.upt directly in the root directory? If not, take it out the folder. Then drag and drop update.upt in the root directory.

Also you might want to get a San Disk or Samsung MSD card.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #784 of 1,991

I know it's all about personal preference, but I can't say the same. I think maybe I'm an outlier in that I think M1s single-ended output is just OK. However, the balanced out is fantastic. Very clear, detailed sound from Balanced Out. For single-ended output, I prefer other DAPs. Granted, some of them are more expensive, though. I didn't see any monetary disclaimer in your post :wink:

I actually really appreciate what Aune has done with the single ended output when it comes to highly sensitive IEMs. The Noble Encore and Campfire Andromeda sound amazeballs with this player via the single ended jack.

M1s is one of the few DAPs that sounds dead silent with Zeus, using it from balanced output.

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #785 of 1,991

Thanks!

Maybe use factory stetting first, then try updating again 
confused.gif

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #786 of 1,991
Is the file update.upt directly in the root directory? If not, take it out the folder. Then drag and drop update.upt in the root directory.

Also you might want to get a San Disk or Samsung MSD card.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm clearly doing something wrong. The file I'm downloading ends .rar 

I'm using a mac, and perhaps that's causing a problem?

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #788 of 1,991

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm clearly doing something wrong. The file I'm downloading ends .rar 

I'm using a mac, and perhaps that's causing a problem?

A .rar file is a compressed format (like a .zip file). Sounds to me like you need to extract the file first before you copy it to the /root directory. You should download winrar or 7zip (both free and both have a mac version), extract the firmware and then copy it to the TF card's root and try the update again.

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #789 of 1,991
  A .rar file is a compressed format (like a .zip file). Sounds to me like you need to extract the file first before you copy it to the /root directory. You should download winrar or 7zip (both free and both have a mac version), extract the firmware and then copy it to the TF card's root and try the update again.

Worked perfectly. I really appreciate the help.

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #791 of 1,991
My apologies, one more question.

Although firmware updated without a hitch, I'm still getting a strange effect on several tracks. Things will be working normally and then a problem comes up. It sounds a bit like scrubbing or like what a CD player sounds like when working through a CD it is having difficulting reading – sort of a stuttering sound.

I tried reformatting my card and recopying on (less music). I've tried resetting the M1s and also reflashing the firmware. The problem still arises for tracks that are higher res than redbook CD, whether they are ALAC or FLAC. 

I don't own any other mSD cards to try, so I can't check to see if it is a card-specific problem. I can get another card, but I thought I'd check to see if this rings any bells.

Aside from this scrubbing issue, it's a very nice DAP to use. The UI is, to my mind anyway, intuitive and pleasingly simple. The sound seems good so far, but the stuttering interrupts my listening once a minute or a little more often on higher resolution tracks. I'm looking forward to being able to listen in a more extended way.

Any advice about the stuttering problem would be very welcome. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #792 of 1,991

Although firmware updated without a hitch, I'm still getting a strange effect on several tracks. Things will be working normally and then a problem comes up. It sounds a bit like scrubbing or like what a CD player sounds like when working through a CD it is having difficulting reading – sort of a stuttering sound.

I tried reformatting my card and recopying on (less music). I've tried resetting the M1s and also reflashing the firmware. The problem still arises for tracks that are higher res than redbook CD, whether they are ALAC or FLAC. 

I don't own any other mSD cards to try, so I can't check to see if it is a card-specific problem. I can get another card, but I thought I'd check to see if this rings any bells.

Aside from this scrubbing issue, it's a very nice DAP to use. The UI is, to my mind anyway, intuitive and pleasingly simple. The sound seems good so far, but the stuttering interrupts my listening once a minute or a little more often on higher resolution tracks. I'm looking forward to being able to listen in a more extended way.

its a speed issue with your card

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #793 of 1,991

its a speed issue with your card. 

Ah, I see. Thanks. How fast does the card need to be to function well? It's a Lexar xcSD 633x (UHS-I class 10, 95mb/s) card. Samsung's cards appear to be the same speed. Is there a brand that makes a sufficiently fast one?

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #794 of 1,991
So it will not be a problem with card speed. Most of my hires dsd/flac files have a bitrate of less than 6 mb/s. As I already wrote, my 128GB Sony mSD card is totally unusable, Kingston 8GB without problems, 64GB A-Data with occasional interruptions - every few hours. So I think it could be a compatibility problem with some brands. Now I want to give a chance to Samsung, then there is only quite expensive SanDisk. I hope that the player is okay and the issue is on the firmware side.

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #795 of 1,991
  So it will not be a problem with card speed. Most of my hires dsd/flac files have a bitrate of less than 6 mb/s. As I already wrote, my 128GB Sony mSD card is totally unusable, Kingston 8GB without problems, 64GB A-Data with occasional interruptions - every few hours. So I think it could be a compatibility problem with some brands. Now I want to give a chance to Samsung, then there is only quite expensive SanDisk. I hope that the player is okay and the issue is on the firmware side.

Thanks! I think with speed ruled out,  I'll try getting another brand of card as an experiment. It will probably be a small-ish Samsung. I'll report back on whether it works. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back