Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
Feb 23, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #796 of 1,991
Feb 23, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #797 of 1,991

Thanks to everyone for the help. It seems to have been a card compatibility issue, as several of you suggested. It works fine with a SanDisk card. Sorry that I could not check on Samsung, but it wasn't available locally. I'll comment back on the musical side of things later.

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #799 of 1,991

I just wanted to amend an earlier post that I made questioning whether the 2.5mm balanced could be used as a true Line Out.  After conversations with Aune (via PM) they confirmed that it was true Line Out.  What's better is that you can run the 2.5mm balanced and 3.5mm single ended simultaneously!  Yes, that is right, a balanced line out running at the same time as your 3.5mm single.  So, you can run two amps at one time like the ones I have pictured here (Fireye HDB) that has a balanced INPUT and out and a (Pioneer XPA-700) that has single-ended in but balanced output.  So two types of balanced for the price of one...running at the same time.  Now you can share with your friend and he can have his own amp and knob to twiddle with.  Of course, try to make your stack look a little less like an Octopus, as mine does.

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #800 of 1,991

My apologies, one more question.

Although firmware updated without a hitch, I'm still getting a strange effect on several tracks. Things will be working normally and then a problem comes up. It sounds a bit like scrubbing or like what a CD player sounds like when working through a CD it is having difficulting reading – sort of a stuttering sound.

I tried reformatting my card and recopying on (less music). I've tried resetting the M1s and also reflashing the firmware. The problem still arises for tracks that are higher res than redbook CD, whether they are ALAC or FLAC. 

I don't own any other mSD cards to try, so I can't check to see if it is a card-specific problem. I can get another card, but I thought I'd check to see if this rings any bells.

Aside from this scrubbing issue, it's a very nice DAP to use. The UI is, to my mind anyway, intuitive and pleasingly simple. The sound seems good so far, but the stuttering interrupts my listening once a minute or a little more often on higher resolution tracks. I'm looking forward to being able to listen in a more extended way.

Any advice about the stuttering problem would be very welcome. 

its a speed issue with your card. 

Ah, I see. Thanks. How fast does the card need to be to function well? It's a Lexar xcSD 633x (UHS-I class 10, 95mb/s) card. Samsung's cards appear to be the same speed. Is there a brand that makes a sufficiently fast one?

https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-128GB-Elite-Memory/dp/B01N3TBAGE/ref=lp_3015433011_1_15?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1487896365&sr=1-15

Thats the card i use

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #802 of 1,991
  I'm trying to decide which one to get, Sony NW-A30 or Aune M1s. I was wondering if someone could give me some advice.

aune, it has better value for the price. excellent sound and build quality also (not sure anymore)

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #803 of 1,991
I'm trying to decide which one to get, Sony NW-A30 or Aune M1s. I was wondering if someone could give me some advice.

aune, it has better value for the price. excellent sound and build quality also.

Such a hasty answer, bro :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It would be nice to know what NhuQuynh prioritizes in a DAP and maybe suggest some alternatives they didn't think about for consideration, too :wink:

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #804 of 1,991

aune, it has better value for the price. excellent sound and build quality also.

Quote:
Such a hasty answer, bro :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It would be nice to know what @NhuQuynh prioritizes in a DAP and maybe suggest some alternatives they didn't think about for consideration, too :wink:

Thank you both for your inputs.

Well, the sound is the most important thing to me, I'm going to pair my DAP with an XBA-A2. 12 hours of battery seems enough for me. The NW-A35 has bluetooth connection, but I can use a 3.5mm cable to connect to my JBL charge 3 just fine. I'm going to the store later to try them both. I'll let you know how it goes.

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #806 of 1,991
I'm back from the store with my new M1S in hand :D. M1S is a clear winner in the sound element. About the build quality, I'm not so sure since the back panel can move up and down a bit if I push on it. The NW-A35 seems to be a good media player for people who want to have lots of features. But the sound, M1S makes an impression on me, it sounds clearer, more distinguish, and more real than the NW-A35. It made me jump on some parts of my fav song when I listened, the A35 was just ok-ish to me.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #807 of 1,991
haha :) nice. glad you like it. i like aune m1s too, but the m2 or m2s for me is even better. m1s with sabre, and m2 with akm dac. m1s has longer battery life though. both have great value for price.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #808 of 1,991
  I'm back from the store with my new M1S in hand :D. M1S is a clear winner in the sound element. About the build quality, I'm not so sure since the back panel can move up and down a bit if I push on it. The NW-A35 seems to be a good media player for people who want to have lots of features. But the sound, M1S makes an impression on me, it sounds clearer, more distinguish, and more real than the NW-A35. It made me jump on some parts of my fav song when I listened, the A35 was just ok-ish to me.

As I'm catching up with posts in different threads, I was about to reply to your previous ones that you should be the final judge of which one sounds better by auditioning both.  Now, I see there is no need to suggest that - you did it yourself already
wink.gif
  I never heard A35, but based on reading other people's comments not surprised about your decision!  Sony "budget" DAPs are always looked upon as more consumer oriented with more features, fancier build/finish, and extended battery life (ridiculous amount playing mp3 only).  But sound quality not always the highest priority, and they even compensate with sound effects to enhance it.  M1s is a pure quality music playback DAP, nothing fancy.  The only thing on my wish list if they can make it smaller/slimmer, something closer to HFM supermini.

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #809 of 1,991

What do you mean about the back panel moving up and down? Do you mean it has some flex pressing on it or it is loose in some way? How are the buttons on the front? Do they feel solid?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back