August in Sennheiser History...
Jan 29, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #106 of 107
This is an interesting take, I ran an HD820 + HDV820 for a while and ended up having to get rid of the HD820 purely for ergonomic reasons.
Somehow it was extremely time consuming to get a proper seal for the headphones to sound like they were intended to. When a proper seal is achieved, it sounds great but when you have to spend half of your listening time trying to get a seal that may never happen, it sours the experience. I also wear glasses so this may not apply to everybody.

Yes, I have read the HD820 does not seal well with glasses. In fact, someone did an experiment and glasses could lead to anywhere between 5%-25% loss of the lowest frequencies depending on the thickness of your glasses; it is the tradeoff to the comfort advantage of having very low clamping force. Luckily I wear contacts so this is not an issue for me, and in my case it seals with no effort at all. Glasses are sort of the nemesis of technology these days, they also cause big problems for VR headsets.

But I don't hold this against the headphones, just like I wouldn't hold it against a VR headset. I would not limit myself to a lesser technology or prefer the manufacturer compensate for this in some way that would negatively impact other aspects when there is an alternative answer that works for most people (contacts) - which eliminates the barriers glasses can cause with some tech; so I would advise the user give contacts a shot unless they are the very small percentage that can't use contacts. TBH contacts beat glasses in every department from visual quality, to field of view, to being out of the way - I hate wearing glasses and see zero benefit to them.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #107 of 107
So when is the Orpheus Mini / Junior / X coming out? While the HE-1 sounded great, it was not worth the money to be honest. Think a cheaper version would be interesting from a commercial perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back