Audiovalve Luminare against WES, BHSE, Electra?
Jul 22, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #16 of 28
  Let's take the OP's original topic.

The KGSSHV is what I would prefer. Not as detailed as the BHSE, but the BHSE was hard sounding in the treble. Due to tubes? Probably. Can only speak to what I've heard.

KGST reminds me of the KGSSHV. Doesn't feel as detailed nor does bass have as much impact. Vocals seem smoother on the KGST and the highs are smoother. But more in a laid back presentation. 

Elektra is just more colored. Vocals sound pretty, but not natural. It's also not as transparent as the three above.
While bass isn't flabby it's certainly not as tight as those aforementioned. And much to my surprise, is a iittle rough sounding as well. Depending on the type of music you listen to I feel this could show as a bigger problem.

Luminare would have been ok 10 years ago when the market was pretty non existent. The comparisons to the Stax amps are more relevant than KG designs or even Elektra. I feel these amps are just on a different level in comparison.
It doesn't dig as deep into the recording and is more 2 dimensional sounding. Lastly, they really lack ultimate finesse
or grunt to differentiate their performance into something remarkable or even rememberable.

I guess you have never heard Luminare or Verto in it's latest incarnation, i think you are a fan or follower of KG daddy young kids have always idols

KG comments on RKV and Verto :

"the design is 20 years old and has not changed.
my clone is the latest parts and latest schematics
and is less than 6 months old

and verto, you gotta be kidding. its alreay obsolete and
i would never use something like that on my headphones" 
nice detailed review from KG
normal_smile .gif

i think these comments on Head-fi tell something

My findings are quite different  because i own Verto and Transistoramp V4 and heard them including Luminare
I like the Verto most of all amps and transformer boxes but you have to feed it with enough current and good source it's very musical and dimensional and suits excellent with SR-OO9 it's detailed clear and smooth without harshness

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #17 of 28

I guess you have never heard Luminare or Verto in it's latest incarnation, i think you are a fan or follower of KG,young kids have always idols

My findings are quite different  because i own Verto and Transistoramp V4 and heard them including Luminare
I like the Verto most of all amps and transformer boxes but you have to feed it with enough current and good source it's very musical and dimensional and suits excellent with SR-OO9 it's detailed clear and smooth without harshness

No, I believe it is the latest and greatest. And call me a fan or follower, whatever. In the stat world I've found his designs to be the best. 

Share what you feel Kevin Gilmore's comments are telling.

If you enjoy the Luminare or Verto, cool, man. I've heard many of KG's amps, Stax , Elektra, LL and some transformer box stuff along with the Luminare and Verto.
I don't feel they are in the same class as I've previously stated. Let me know when you hear a KG design and maybe you'll have something to contribute to this discussion.

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #18 of 28

I guess you have never heard Luminare or Verto in it's latest incarnation, i think you are a fan or follower of KG,young kids have always idols

Pretty sure the "my clone" was referring to Gilmore's version of the RKV, as he posted the schematics on his site. he was not referring to any of his electrostatic amps. Or did I misunderstand your post?

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #19 of 28
  Let's take the OP's original topic.

The KGSSHV is what I would prefer. Not as detailed as the BHSE, but the BHSE was hard sounding in the treble. Due to tubes? Probably. Can only speak to what I've heard.

KGST reminds me of the KGSSHV. Doesn't feel as detailed nor does bass have as much impact. Vocals seem smoother on the KGST and the highs are smoother. But more in a laid back presentation. 

Elektra is just more colored. Vocals sound pretty, but not natural. It's also not as transparent as the three above.
While bass isn't flabby it's certainly not as tight as those aforementioned. And much to my surprise, is a iittle rough sounding as well. Depending on the type of music you listen to I feel this could show as a bigger problem.

Luminare would have been ok 10 years ago when the market was pretty non existent. The comparisons to the Stax amps are more relevant than KG designs or even Elektra. I feel these amps are just on a different level in comparison.
It doesn't dig as deep into the recording and is more 2 dimensional sounding. Lastly, they really lack ultimate finesse
or grunt to differentiate their performance into something remarkable or even rememberable.

I disagree with the advice of the electra.
I tested at home Electra and KGSSHV DIY
The KGSSHV is as transparent as the Electra and I find the more natural voice Electra than on KGSSHV
Every day I selected the Electra on KGSSHV.

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #20 of 28
It seems that the French definitely have a different audio acuity to the rest of the world.        
wink_face.gif

Jul 25, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #22 of 28
Try them all.

Let your ears be the judge.....    and then totally disregard your conclusions, and go with the one with the most hype...  or perhaps the most esoteric technology...    or the highest price....    or the most distortion......   or etc. etc. ad hoc, ad addendum, ad absurdum, ad infinutum.

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #24 of 28
@superfred21, I've got the Radio_Head's Electra with 4x XF2's, 2x TungSol 6SN7 GTB for 1st stage, and 2xGE 6SN7 for 2nd stage. Back in late June a few of us met up for a Stax meet (long overdue since your last visit!!). My Electra sounded somewhat very midrange-focused and would like to seek your recommendation on where to start tuning (i.e. 1st stage, 2nd stage, or output stage)?

Also we had @arnaud's new BHSE, @Donnyhifi's KGST. To me the BHSE really won my heart (and ears) with it's separation, clarity, precision. By comparison my Electra (as per above) seemed to have a stronger midrange bloat and slightly less refined and a little more compressed trebles. The KGST seemed mild by comparison and possibly 'cos I'm so used to my Electra, the KGST sounded somewhat more HiFi-ish. Granted this KGST unit, from what I'm told, was apparently Birgir's first KGST but I gather it should sound the same as other of Birgir's KGST's.

BHSE aside, the KGST was easy to listen to but I think is probably a little too mild for my tastes. I hope to build a Carbon at some point and hope to compare to the Electra. Meanwhile, I do hope to get some advice from @superfred21 on thoughts to fine-tune the mids and treble range of the Electra....I'm not about to go out to buy 4x XF4's and 4x 6SN7 BGRP all in one shot though :wink:.

Aug 30, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #25 of 28
Back from CanJam London, and for me, the absolute BEST Sound of the Show was the combo BHSE Blue Awaii + Srax 009.  

Incredible sound !  So pure, So airy, So highly precise....

But.... I am just concerned: can't such "uber definition" can by fatiguing during long listening cession !  Any comment on this ? 

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #26 of 28
I guess this kind of revealing combination will sound spectacular with great recordings and you can't get enough. If the recording is sub par then you'll stop listening after 2 minutes.

A question (although rethorical
wink.gif
) for someone who was at CanJam UK:
Can the BHSE drive the new Orpheus Mk2 ?

Aug 31, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #27 of 28
The BHSE totally has 8-pin connectors. 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #28 of 28
I agree with bmichels, I heard the BHSE with SR-009 at the California Audio Show and it was sublime.  It was driven by an Ayre QB9 DSD, but I think the combo will sound good even with an ipod
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back