Audiovalve Luminare against WES, BHSE, Electra?
Jul 21, 2015 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

tnounsy

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am currently building my first stax system and I may need some help deciding which amp to use.

Basically I'm not considering BHSE because of the leading time and I was told the new electra won't be out in months so I planned to order WES since we have a local distributor here.

However just before that I read a post saying Audiovalve Luminare performs as well as those more expensive models when driving stax, can someone comment on it if you have owned or auditioned them? especially when pairing with SR009

I did some search on and outside the forum but didn't find much information (found some posts, but not really direct comparison)

Thanks!

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 28
Hi, have you seen those threads regarding the Luminare?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/745270/audiovalve-luminare-an-universal-headphone-amp-with-three-operating-modes-low-impedance-high-impedance-otl-and-stax

http://www.head-fi.org/t/727630/audiovalve-luminare-verto-for-stax-headphones-and-for-all-dynamic-headphones

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #3 of 28
  Hi, have you seen those threads regarding the Luminare?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/745270/audiovalve-luminare-an-universal-headphone-amp-with-three-operating-modes-low-impedance-high-impedance-otl-and-stax

http://www.head-fi.org/t/727630/audiovalve-luminare-verto-for-stax-headphones-and-for-all-dynamic-headphones

Hi, yes I read  through these 2 threads, maybe I missed something but there doesn't seem to be much comparison (mostly by the same person, if any).

And both threads were closed so I started a new one here :)

Jul 21, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 28
  Hi, yes I read  through these 2 threads, maybe I missed something but there doesn't seem to be much comparison (mostly by the same person, if any).

And both threads were closed so I started a new one here :)

And that doesn't tell you anything ? Go check some European centric forums or pm eric the expert.

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 28
Buy the BHSE that's currerntly for sale from CorvetteGarage and call it a day. Or get a KGST/KGSSHV/Carbon. Stay away from the garbage from Audiovalve.

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 28
Wink,

You who love the (large) numbers, go to the side of the French forum (HCFR) for the latest news about the Luminare amp : soon 50 000 visits; 884 posts (the French thread is not locked unlike the two threads on Head-Fi).
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/amplificateurs-casques-f1484/verto-et-luminare-des-produits-audiovalve-atypiques-t30052030-870.html

Ask yourself the question of who has listened Luminare before passing final judgment and who is right in its assessment of this amplifier.

This is my first and last post on this thread; I do not answer to PM.

Eric

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #9 of 28

Got to hear the Luminare at the Munich high end show with Stax SR-507 headphone not sure if KGST/KGSSHV/Carbon amps are better.

Not sure if you have any reference of KG's designs. When you do, be sure to let us know.

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #10 of 28
  Not sure if you have any reference of KG's designs. When you do, be sure to let us know.

I have the Transistoramp V4 and the Luminare i find slightly warmer with better soundstage probably suits with SR-009 so it's a high risk when KG designs appear on the same level than transistoramp then it's waist of money, just ordered second pair of SR-009 to find out if the latest S/N above 3xxx do not have the piercing highs and slightly dead midrange.Afterall the Linnenberg /MLevinson/Verto is the best what i have heard so far it's punchy neutral warm with excellent soundstaging it has the clearest female vocals no AC/or tube noise to disturb the presentation

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #11 of 28

I have the Transistoramp V4 and the Luminare i find slightly warmer with better soundstage probably suits with SR-009 so it's a high risk when KG designs appear on the same level than transistoramp then it's waist of money, just ordered second pair of SR-009 to find out if the latest S/N above 3xxx do not have the piercing highs and slightly dead midrange.Afterall the Linnenberg /MLevinson/Verto is the best what i have heard so far it's punchy neutral warm with excellent soundstaging it has the clearest female vocals no AC/or tube noise to disturb the presentation

Listen to a KGST/KGSSHV or Carbon and we'll talk.

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #15 of 28
Dude, have you listened to all those kg amps or the transistor/luminare?
Be interested to hear your thoughts.

Let's take the OP's original topic.

The KGSSHV is what I would prefer. Not as detailed as the BHSE, but the BHSE was hard sounding in the treble. Due to tubes? Probably. Can only speak to what I've heard.

KGST reminds me of the KGSSHV. Doesn't feel as detailed nor does bass have as much impact. Vocals seem smoother on the KGST and the highs are smoother. But more in a laid back presentation. 

Elektra is just more colored. Vocals sound pretty, but not natural. It's also not as transparent as the three above.
While bass isn't flabby it's certainly not as tight as those aforementioned. And much to my surprise, is a iittle rough sounding as well. Depending on the type of music you listen to I feel this could show as a bigger problem.

Luminare would have been ok 10 years ago when the market was pretty non existent. The comparisons to the Stax amps are more relevant than KG designs or even Elektra. I feel these amps are just on a different level in comparison.
It doesn't dig as deep into the recording and is more 2 dimensional sounding. Lastly, they really lack ultimate finesse
or grunt to differentiate their performance into something remarkable or even rememberable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back