AUDIOSENSE in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Oct 19, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #2,416 of 5,890
You guys with “failing” T800 (especially in 1 ear only), be aware that the Knowles dampers are normal maintenance items and must be changed when clogged. This is true of any IEM and hearing aid that uses Knowles/Etymotic style dampers.

I guarantee that this is a cause of at least some of these T800 ‘defects’. Some people create a tremendous amount of ear wax/shed skin flakes/gunk vs others, which can and will accelerate the clogging of the dampers.

It’s not a defect, but rather just like the oil filter and air filter in your car. The oil and air filters in your car perform a sacrificial function, and protect the engine itself (just like the dampers are sacrificially protecting the actual BA drivers from dust and debris).

So before you go through the significant expense and hassle of shipping them all the way back to Audiosense, try a new set of grey dampers which only costs $3.

Heck, you can even TEST whether the problem is a clogged damper or not by temporarily removing the dampers altogether. If the ‘defective sound’ returns to normal, then the dampers were the problem and should be changed. This will restore the performance of the earphone to like-new condition.

The fact that this is a normal and expected maintenance item (again, for all earphones with dampers), is why it should be a given that all owners should order a set of new dampers and a damper tool. That’s why Etymotic and Knowles sell the maintenance parts, as well as make the maintenance recommendation information readily available.

Be aware that with the dampers temporary removed, the sound signature will change (with treble being peakier and possibly harsher). That’s why the no-damper test is only a temporary troubleshooting step.

So this is why my stock T800 sound less bright now, thought it was brain burn in, but just waxclog for the win!

Oct 19, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #2,417 of 5,890
You guys with “failing” T800 (especially in 1 ear only), be aware that the Knowles dampers are normal maintenance items and must be changed when clogged. This is true of any IEM and hearing aid that uses Knowles/Etymotic style dampers.

I guarantee that this is a cause of at least some of these T800 ‘defects’. Some people create a tremendous amount of ear wax/shed skin flakes/gunk vs others, which can and will accelerate the clogging of the dampers.

It’s not a defect, but rather just like the oil filter and air filter in your car. The oil and air filters in your car perform a sacrificial function, and protect the engine itself (just like the dampers are sacrificially protecting the actual BA drivers from dust and debris).

So before you go through the significant expense and hassle of shipping them all the way back to Audiosense, try a new set of grey dampers which only costs $3.

Heck, you can even TEST whether the problem is a clogged damper or not by temporarily removing the dampers altogether. If the ‘defective sound’ returns to normal, then the dampers were the problem and should be changed. This will restore the performance of the earphone to like-new condition.

The fact that this is a normal and expected maintenance item (again, for all earphones with dampers), is why it should be a given that all owners should order a set of new dampers and a damper tool. That’s why Etymotic and Knowles sell the maintenance parts, as well as make the maintenance recommendation information readily available.

Be aware that with the dampers temporary removed, the sound signature will change (with treble being peakier and possibly harsher). That’s why the no-damper test is only a temporary troubleshooting step.
good point. But I did check for wax build-up. Used a flashlight to look inside the nozzle. Couldn't see any sign of anything unusual. And again, we're talking only 1 month, and not a gradual loss - it was normal one day, and the next day I could hear a very noticeable channel imbalance. Now, whether the earphone itself failed, or something caused it to fail, like a source, or perhaps a cable short, I don't know. I just hope to get this resolved quickly. I'll have a filter removal tool on hand by the time it gets back in case this happens again.

Oct 19, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #2,418 of 5,890
good point. But I did check for wax build-up. Used a flashlight to look inside the nozzle. Couldn't see any sign of anything unusual. And again, we're talking only 1 month, and not a gradual loss - it was normal one day, and the next day I could hear a very noticeable channel imbalance. Now, whether the earphone itself failed, or something caused it to fail, like a source, or perhaps a cable short, I don't know. I just hope to get this resolved quickly. I'll have a filter removal tool on hand by the time it gets back in case this happens again.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that there can’t be OOTB QC failures, user failures due to shock/dropping, etc. But as time goes on and the dampers wear out, more and more owners will think their T800 are ‘defective’, when in reality they’re perfectly fine.

Lots of Etymotics have been mistakenly thrown away or needlessly replaced over the years, by owners that were unaware that all they really needed were $2 worth of dampers.

Oct 19, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #2,420 of 5,890
Terrisonant- Having a terrible sound....Eds definition : Boselike sound, resembling caveman music.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #2,421 of 5,890
Oct 19, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #2,423 of 5,890
Has anybody compared Shure SE535 to the Audiosense T880? I have the Shure IEMs and am pretty pleased with them, but curious if I am missing anything vs. the T880. I am especially curious about bass quality comparison.
Bass is like wadabumwadabang

Really punchy thight and full for a ba. Fit is also nice some people play around whit filters and cables and tips

For me the only thing you really need are these tips

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/mweXdnji

Oct 19, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #2,425 of 5,890
Screenshot_20191020-012653_Chrome.jpg

Thats aliexpress life.

Oct 19, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #2,426 of 5,890
yah know, after having a conversation today... it's possible I banged my first set of t800s to hard on the table and caused the driver issue. I didn't realize how fragile these high quantity of BA IEM's are. I am going to be super careful with this set. That is probably caution to everyone, make sure not to accidentally bang them together, or against a table. it's super easy to do.

i wrap mine up after every listen and put them in the case. but there was a time I wasn't paying full attention and they unraveled fast and hit the table. just gotta be super careful.

Oct 19, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #2,427 of 5,890
yah know, after having a conversation today... it's possible I banged my first set of t800s to hard on the table and caused the driver issue. I didn't realize how fragile these high quantity of BA IEM's are. I am going to be super careful with this set. That is probably caution to everyone, make sure not to accidentally bang them together, or against a table. it's super easy to do.

i wrap mine up after every listen and put them in the case. but there was a time I wasn't paying full attention and they unraveled fast and hit the table. just gotta be super careful.
Damn good to know thanks

Oct 19, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #2,428 of 5,890
Oct 20, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #2,429 of 5,890
Has anybody compared Shure SE535 to the Audiosense T880? I have the Shure IEMs and am pretty pleased with them, but curious if I am missing anything vs. the T880. I am especially curious about bass quality comparison.
I have. T800 are another level. I prefer the T800 even more than the SE846. Compared to the SE535 I find the T800 to have more low end extension and impact while being quick and tighter presenting more detail. Even though the T800 have more low end, the mids are clearer and more detailed but male vocals could have slightly more presence but it still performs better than the SE535. Treble, The T800 has much more extension but it is brighter. It present much more detail overall while having great energy and air. Soundstage and instrument separation is also no comparison. But the T800 is extremely source dependent and eartips and fit matter a lot for the T800 to sound correct.

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #2,430 of 5,890
Holly ****, I just wanted to be absolutely sure so I plugged the T800s into my Desktop SMSL stack ....I raised the volume above even what I could handle and ZERO problems, nothing whatsoever.... I tried changing cables before and I tried many IEMS with my DAP (shanling m0) but only the T800s just kept failing at volumes above 67/100 and were very noticeable.... so now I know for a fact that the IEMs aren't defective.

This doesn't make any sense.... I tried my other hybrids since I don't have any other set that's BA only and not a single IEM had this issue at high volumes with my DAP except the T800. Maybe since the hybrids leave the low end to the Dynamic Drivers it's not replicating the issue on anything else.

m0 is nowhere near to be able to drive the t800. A perfect DAP (or amp) should be ample to provide 3V rms and over 300 mA at 9ohm to power them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back