Audioquests new Dragonfly Cobalt @TTVJAudio.com
Jul 8, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #31 of 155
FYI the cobalt does NOT use the same DAC chip as the IDEA; the dragonfly red does. The Cobalt uses the MUCH newer Sabre DAC.

Also, a R2R dongle would be really cool, but pretty difficult to make in this tiny form factor (I THINK), as those circuits are much larger.

Todd - how on earth do I get in on your loaner program?? I find this product VERY interesting, but the price is VERY high (not saying it isn't worth it). Also - regarding your post above, I couldn't have said it better myself! Some dudes seriously need to chill out!

Jul 8, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #32 of 155
mk351e,

I will start a new loaner thread in this forum on Monday. The rules will be posted and it is first come, first serve in the program. It will require an email to me with your info as requested in the rules. I will not accept early emails as it is not fair for someone to jump line like that... just a pet peeve!

To All,

I do want to be very clear on this, I have no problem with someone reviewing a product and posting their thoughts and experience with the loaner product. Even if you do not like it. All I ask is for the participants to give it a fair listen and let everyone else know of that experience. I have never removed a bad review or kept someone from future reviews because they do not like something they reviewed in one of my programs.

I try to provide good products - the best products to the Head-Fi community to try and buy from TTVJAudio.com. If someone feels a product is not a good value, then I wouldn't want someone to be stuck with something they do not like.

And I have no hard feelings toward any of the posters in this thread. I hope maybe someday to be able to serve you well with a product you are looking for!

Todd

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #34 of 155
Really wondering how the Cobalt with these upgrades can stack up against larger, standalone mobile DACs. The Mojo and iDSD BL have been my go-to for a while, but know a more portable solution will be able to step in someday. Maybe this is it!

Jul 9, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #35 of 155
Really wondering how the Cobalt with these upgrades can stack up against larger, standalone mobile DACs. The Mojo and iDSD BL have been my go-to for a while, but know a more portable solution will be able to step in someday. Maybe this is it!

I would be interested in that, too. For a long time I used the Red as the main DAC in both my computer audio setup and in my main Schiit/Rotel/Martin Logan system. On a whim, I swapped in a much older Peachtree DAC-IT and found that it surpassed the Red in terms of bass dynamics, extension, and midrange transparency. I have since moved on to the Schiit Modi Multibit and SMSL SU-8, which both handily surpass the Red, and would like to know how the Cobalt stands up to these competitors.

Jul 9, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #36 of 155
Jul 9, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #37 of 155
Mine are arriving today. I still have a few available to ship out today should you order one. I will give me impressions of the Cobalt in a few days as I spend time listening to it and breaking it in.
I am looking forward to giving the Cobalt a good listen!

Todd

Jul 9, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #39 of 155
Looking forward to the comparison between the DF Red and DF Cobalt. I really like the sound signature of the Red but I welcome a wider soundstage - especially for media consumption.

Jul 9, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #40 of 155
Looking forward to the comparison between the DF Red and DF Cobalt. I really like the sound signature of the Red but I welcome a wider soundstage - especially for media consumption.

There's numerous comparisons with the Red if you look around. Most say clearer/cleaner sound, edged details, and wider sounstage. Now I'm interested how the Cobalt stacks against full-fledged mobile DACs. Would love to do write up a head-on with the Mojo and iDSD BL, but not going to dive in just yet, especially at $300.

Jul 9, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #41 of 155
There's numerous comparisons with the Red if you look around. Most say clearer/cleaner sound, edged details, and wider sounstage. Now I'm interested how the Cobalt stacks against full-fledged mobile DACs. Would love to do write up a head-on with the Mojo and iDSD BL, but not going to dive in just yet, especially at $300.

Wondering if there would be much difference purely for media consumption i.e. netflix, and high res DTS-HD / Dolby True HD. Already have a jitterbug with my Dragonfly Red so I don't have any noise issues.

Additionally - I really dislike bright sounding DACs, HATE harsh treble which is why I prefer neutral sounding headphones and headphones with recessed highs such as the Oppo PM-2.

Is the Cobalt brighter than the Red?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #43 of 155
Dammit, now I need to add blue to my collection!

If Cobalt runs cooler* and drains less battery over time than DFR then I may have to get.

(*)- it's blue so it's gotta run cooler than Red, right?

Jul 9, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #44 of 155
I have had the Cobalt plugged in for a couple of hours and so far so good. I am playing Tidal and Tidal Masters using Focal Clear headphones for right now. I like the sound signature of the Cobalt - and I am used to much more expensive amps and DACS in front of the headphones! I am very pleased with this device!

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back