Audioquests new Dragonfly Cobalt @TTVJAudio.com
Jul 8, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #17 of 155
300$ for a dongle yeah no thanks, for that money you get 6 ibasso dongles lol, please elaborate how this is 6 times better than the ibasso dongle

Jul 8, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #20 of 155
HI All,

I intend to have a loaner program for the Cobalt starting next week. I will announce it in this Sponsors forum and hope a few of you who have not been negative will sign up.

I am disappointed in all the nay-sayers here in my sponsor thread. Not one of you have heard this unit. And comparing a desktop to a multi use product that really is very well thought out and able to be used with many devices and for different situations really isn't a fair comparison. OK, it may not be for you but do you need to come in here and diss it without ever even having heard or used it?

I look forward to serving those who are interested in this fine, reliable product from Audioquest. And for the money you will NOT find a more versatile product of this quality. And with all due respect to ibasso, there is no comparison in quality. 6 mediocre products do not beat out one very good product.

On the subject of the dongle cable, I have found in my years of experience that a cable connection is far less strain on the USB connector and is also easier to place the Dragonfly in a convenient place - in front or back or along side your source. Having the USB piece directly plugged into a phone or other portable USB port runs the risk of damaging either the source or the Dragonfly or both!. The price is not for the dongle, it is for the Dragonfly Cobalt that includes a dongle to use with your phone and other portable devices...

As with any product, it is not for everybody. And it will not please everybody. But I really think the Cobalt is going to be an outstanding product for $300. I guess we will see how others feel when the reviews from my loaner program start rolling in.

I thank all of you for reading this thread!

Todd

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #21 of 155
Hi caenlenfromOCN,

Yes as you can see in my previous post to the question of a loaner program. Keep an eye out next Monday and sign up...

Todd

Jul 8, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #22 of 155
dragonfly-SS-whitet#231E46F.jpg

Jul 8, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #23 of 155
Hi,

I have the Red and find it a bit sharp/fatiguing with some music. For that reason, I usually use my Mojo instead as it's a bit smoother, though I sometimes find it less resolving than I'd like. If you have any experience with the Mojo, I was wondering if you can write a few words comparing the Mojo to the new Cobalt?

Cheers,
B

Jul 8, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #24 of 155
HI All,

I intend to have a loaner program for the Cobalt starting next week. I will announce it in this Sponsors forum and hope a few of you who have not been negative will sign up.

I am disappointed in all the nay-sayers here in my sponsor thread. Not one of you have heard this unit. And comparing a desktop to a multi use product that really is very well thought out and able to be used with many devices and for different situations really isn't a fair comparison. OK, it may not be for you but do you need to come in here and diss it without ever even having heard or used it?

I look forward to serving those who are interested in this fine, reliable product from Audioquest. And for the money you will NOT find a more versatile product of this quality. And with all due respect to ibasso, there is no comparison in quality. 6 mediocre products do not beat out one very good product.

On the subject of the dongle cable, I have found in my years of experience that a cable connection is far less strain on the USB connector and is also easier to place the Dragonfly in a convenient place - in front or back or along side your source. Having the USB piece directly plugged into a phone or other portable USB port runs the risk of damaging either the source or the Dragonfly or both!. The price is not for the dongle, it is for the Dragonfly Cobalt that includes a dongle to use with your phone and other portable devices...

As with any product, it is not for everybody. And it will not please everybody. But I really think the Cobalt is going to be an outstanding product for $300. I guess we will see how others feel when the reviews from my loaner program start rolling in.

Todd

You are right. It is a sponsor thread. I don't think comments like mine belong here. Will remove it.
Just to be clear, it is not about this particular product. but my overall frustration is more toward the overall industry in last 10 years, a lot more "new" products with a bigger price tag, but no meaningful improvement.

Jul 8, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #26 of 155
Hi kodreaming,

I appreciate your consideration. And I also agree with you about rising prices on new products that really don't improve much if anything.

I will be allowing folks to listen to the Cobalt on a loaner program so they can decide for themselves if there is an improvement or not. The Cobalt I know does improve on the listening fatigue of the Dragonfly Red. I will know much more in the coming days as mine arrives tomorrow and will be used and broken in by the end of this week.

Todd

Jul 8, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #27 of 155
HI All,

Todd

In deference to Todd, I, too have removed my comments. In the future I will try to express my opinions in more appropriate forums.

Jul 8, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #28 of 155
Are the guys at Dragonfly aware of the origin of the word "cobalt"?

Jul 8, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #29 of 155
I honestly wonder when a company will make an R2R dongle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back