AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Feb 28, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #2,116 of 2,529
Hmmmm, hearing this from another cable atheist. Makes me wonder as well. I chose cables on connections alone, but if you are saying that there is a discernible difference. It's making me want to try a cable swap. Lately I've been listening to NO less frequently, and I've also been in the market for a sturdier cable for my Aiva. I'll bite on this cable swap business. Trust but verify, no?

Haha... cable atheist, I like that. I guess I would be agnostic, but practicing. I've heard cables make a difference, but I can't rule out that they would make a difference with cables that are already fully functional and well-made. I have three ZMF cables are different price tiers and use them on four different headphones, basically at random. Never heard a difference. My favorite of those is the mid-tier one, mostly because of the length and resistance to tangle. I usually replace stock cables because I don't like them aesthetically or they are too bulky for the case or too long or any number of other practical reasons. I suppose it's possible there is a difference there, but hearing it is beyond me.

So, I can't say for sure whether a new cable would help your NO like it did mine. It might also be a matter of degrees. But, it may be worth considering.

Feb 28, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #2,117 of 2,529
Hmmmm, hearing this from another cable atheist. Makes me wonder as well. I chose cables on connections alone, but if you are saying that there is a discernible difference. It's making me want to try a cable swap. Lately I've been listening to NO less frequently, and I've also been in the market for a sturdier cable for my Aiva. I'll bite on this cable swap business. Trust but verify, no?

It does stand to reason that a cable could function as a tone control, introducing resistance & capacitance. In hi-fi speaker land, I've been agnostic on the effect of cables, investing in decent ones, but never sure the difference they made. But in headphone land, the synergy affect of all components appears to be much greater. I did try the Arctic OCC with my new 1more triple driver (connectors are compatible), and noticed a big difference there as well - they sounded a lot more open. That is probably a pretty crappy stock cable. My bias right now is that OCC is the magic ingredient. The Audience OCC speaker cables are the first time I've heard a noticeable difference in a speaker based system. My next move will be to replace the cable on my Audeze EL-8 with a Mimic OCC.

Mar 1, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #2,118 of 2,529
It seems Artic Cables doesn't ship to my cabin on the mountains, no matter. I did try the NO with some New Neomusicia cables that I have laying around. There was indeed a change in the sound of the NO, it sounds less congested, clearer but still meaty on the bass. I removed the EQ settings I had on Equalizer APO after I started using that cable. This experiment has been successful enough for me to try getting a "decent" cable.

I'm considering in getting an OCC cable from LQI Cables, I bought from them a pair of cables for IEM and things worked well enough. However, if anyone else has tried and had a positive experience with other brand of OCC cables, I would like to know. Just to see have more options, thank you in advance.

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #2,119 of 2,529
A similar question - what about some "affordable" cable with 2.5mm cup connectors for Hifiman series? Does not look sturdy, but should be ok for desk use.

1583413169659.png

Mar 5, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #2,120 of 2,529
A similar question - what about some "affordable" cable with 2.5mm cup connectors for Hifiman series? Does not look sturdy, but should be ok for desk use.

2.5mm Hifiman cables will work fine. Searching for Sennheiser HD700 cables is another way to go

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #2,121 of 2,529
Anyone know if there's a place or a 3d printed part for attaching other ear pads? I have another set of ear pads I like to use .

These audio quest night owls have grown on me for sure. Too bad these drivers don't come in bigger sizes. I love the big sound of planar drivers & it would be interesting to hear these type of drivers in a bigger size .

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #2,122 of 2,529
Anyone know if there's a place or a 3d printed part for attaching other ear pads? I have another set of ear pads I like to use .

These audio quest night owls have grown on me for sure. Too bad these drivers don't come in bigger sizes. I love the big sound of planar drivers & it would be interesting to hear these type of drivers in a bigger size .

The adapters in the stock earpads are removable, you'll have to punch holes in the replacement pads to fit the adapters correctly though

Apr 8, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #2,126 of 2,529
I bought a used Nightowl. It's like new. I paid € 150 for it. It is the best headphone I have ever had. I already had a Denon 7200, Shure 1540 and Audio Technica W1000x and the Nightowl beats them all.
I ordered Shure 1540 pads. This should make it sound even better.

Congrats! Most natural sound in a closed back that I have found. Plus super comfortable. How do you plan to mount the Shure 1540 pads? You know the Owl has a particular system of its own with plastic pins...

Apr 8, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #2,127 of 2,529

Attachments

• photo_2020-04-08_12-45-22.jpg
    photo_2020-04-08_12-45-22.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2020-04-08_12-45-21.jpg
    photo_2020-04-08_12-45-21.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back