AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Feb 25, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #2,101 of 2,529
I'm considering purchasing them and will be grateful for a few questions answered"

How good is isolation on Nightowls for office use?
What are closest competitors? Meze 99 Classics?
Do they have trebles spikes and cause fatigue?

Feb 25, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #2,102 of 2,529
I'm considering purchasing them and will be grateful for a few questions answered"

How good is isolation on Nightowls for office use?
What are closest competitors? Meze 99 Classics?
Do they have trebles spikes and cause fatigue?

1. Decent, though not great, especially if you wear glasses or have long hair since the clamp is very light on these. The pads are a bit dense and take several minutes to warm up and become flexible, so isolation is much better for longer sessions than it is if you have to take them off frequently. The best headphone purely in terms of isolation is, in my experience, the Aeon C.
2. Meze would be one. Any of the Fostex line from Massdrop, particularly the Ebony. The E-MU Teak. If you are looking for something competitive with a similar sound sig at the same price of $250-ish, I'm not sure there is anything else close. The NightOwl has a cult following here for a reason.
3. Not to me. But, they aren't the darkest headphones out there either. These are a bit warm, very natural, and have polite treble.

Feb 25, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #2,104 of 2,529
I don't know. The NightOwl had a distant character to my ears. The 99s have a more forward, lively character.

There is some recession in the mids that makes vocals seem far away, compared to the bass especially. Is that what you referring to? A bit of bass bleed into male vocals too. Things get blurry around 500hz.

Feb 25, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #2,105 of 2,529
There is some recession in the mids that makes vocals seem far away, compared to the bass especially. Is that what you referring to? A bit of bass bleed into male vocals too. Things get blurry around 500hz.
For the most part, yes. Not just vocals though, and it seemed rather evident throughout the mid section. Guitars take on a rather significant different approach as well, and that's the main reason I enjoy the 99s so much. Guitars with the NO also seemed distant, lacked bite, and any sort of energetic sizzle. Male vocals indeed sounded distant, and the overall mids presentation came across a bit hollow sounding to me. I really liked them at 1st, but eventually, these characteristics started to turn me off. Not a headphone I would personally recommend for hard rock, but that's mostly personal preference. I would classify these as being mildly cold and dark, but this is mostly just in comparison to my other headphones.

Feb 25, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #2,106 of 2,529
For the most part, yes. Not just vocals though, and it seemed rather evident throughout the mid section. Guitars take on a rather significant different approach as well, and that's the main reason I enjoy the 99s so much. Guitars with the NO also seemed distant, lacked bite, and any sort of energetic sizzle. Male vocals indeed sounded distant, and the overall mids presentation came across a bit hollow sounding to me. I really liked them at 1st, but eventually, these characteristics started to turn me off. Not a headphone I would personally recommend for hard rock, but that's mostly personal preference. I would classify these as being mildly cold and dark, but this is mostly just in comparison to my other headphones.

Fair enough. I notice that hollowness a bit when I first put them on, but it goes away quickly as I become accustomed to the bass presence. Can't really disagree with how you're describing the sound, but I guess it doesn't bother me.

Feb 25, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #2,107 of 2,529
Fair enough. I notice that hollowness a bit when I first put them on, but it goes away quickly as I become accustomed to the bass presence. Can't really disagree with how you're describing the sound, but I guess it doesn't bother me.
I think they're a great addition to add to the fleet, for someone who likes variety. I couldn't use them as a primary, daily driver. A very good can for some evening wind down listening. I just didn't get the level of emotion, synergy, and dynamics I prefer.

Feb 25, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #2,108 of 2,529
Responses are much appreciated. I've called the trigger on refurbished ones from Saturday Audio. Let's see how they do compare to my Atticus, AFC and modded T50RPs.

BTW, can anyone recommend affordable balanced cable for Nightowl?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #2,109 of 2,529
Responses are much appreciated. I've called the trigger on refurbished ones from Saturday Audio. Let's see how they do compare to my Atticus, AFC and modded T50RPs.

BTW, can anyone recommend affordable balanced cable for Nightowl?
Not sure what your idea of affordable is, but I purchased one from Arctic Cables for 100 bucks. I think you can find a less expensive option on eBay. Many of the diy type cables from overseas are really good. Better than the prices suggest. I believe any with smaller 2.5mm connections should work.

Feb 26, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #2,110 of 2,529
Hmm, I have some cables for HE400i with 2.5mm connectors, but they are not balanced. Do you think this kind of adapter could work?

1582698902668.png

Feb 26, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #2,111 of 2,529
Hmm, I have some cables for HE400i with 2.5mm connectors, but they are not balanced. Do you think this kind of adapter could work?

NO! Absolutely not! You cannot go from an unbalanced cable into a balanced output without risking damage to your amp and to headphones. If you are lucky, you will only do minor long-term damage and not short out your equipment entirely. There's no way to split the ground once it's been combined in a single-ended cable. Honestly, they shouldn't even sell those adapters.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #2,113 of 2,529
Just picked up a pair of Night Owls. Looking at either a Dragonfly Red or Dragonfly Cobalt to pair with these out of my phone. The form factor of the Dragonfly's are really important for me to be able to stick my phone in my pocket as I walk around the house, otherwise might have considered the Mojo or something similar. From what I understand, a little different sound signature on each. Anyone have any experience with either the Red or Cobalt with the NOs? Thanks!

The dragonfly black has fantastic synergy with the NO. This is the combo I took on vacation last year, and then for regular late night listening sessions after I returned. It lacks some of the drive of a more powerful amp, but just a very welcoming & enjoyable sound. I haven't tried the red or cobalt, but I understand in addition to having more power, they're a bit brighter. Not sure if this would improve on the black or not, but tempted to try.

Normally, I am not one to put much faith in changing the sound of a headphone with a cable swap, but your experience very much matches my own. When I got my NightOwl, they sounded dark, muffled, hollow, and cuppy. I happened to have an alternate cable on hand, for my 400i and 560, so I swapped without thinking it would help. But it did and, as you put it, it improved upon all sonic areas. Never experienced anything quite like that. Faulty stock cable? Bad synergy? Who knows. But, I wonder how many bad impressions of the NO or the NH are a result of the stock cable.

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've never been one to hear huge differences between cables, but this was startling. There's a track on the album Illicit by Tribal Tech called "Torque". At the very end of the track, there's a faint echo. But then there's another very faint secondary echo that I never knew was there until listening with the NO/Arctic combo. I can only hear it on some of my better resolving headphones, but not as clearly as with the NOs (I don't have any crazy resolving phones though - not my thing).

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #2,114 of 2,529
Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've never been one to hear huge differences between cables, but this was startling. There's a track on the album Illicit by Tribal Tech called "Torque". At the very end of the track, there's a faint echo. But then there's another very faint secondary echo that I never knew was there until listening with the NO/Arctic combo. I can only hear it on some of my better resolving headphones, but not as clearly as with the NOs (I don't have any crazy resolving phones though - not my thing).

At this point, I've replaced the cable on nearly all of my earphones and headphones, all except the ones that are hardwired. Usually that is just to go balanced or because the stock cable is too short, too ugly, or too chintzy. Out of all of those, there have only been two cases where the cable swap made a difference I was certain wasn't just a result of bad memory or placebo effect. The NO is one, of course. The other one was the cable for the TFZ Queen. With that one, the stock cable made them sound absolutely terrible. It gave them an unbearable peak around 2k and harsh metallic treble that I just could not get over. When I went on the forums, I found that my experience of those earphones did not match anyone else's. I kept hearing about how lush and organic they were, and that just wasn't my experience. Well, recently at a meet-up we busted out a multimeter and started testing cables. The cable for the Queen measured alarmingly badly with little consistency between channels. When I got home, I swapped the cable and the sound was immediately better. I can honestly say it made the difference between wanting to sell them, even at a loss, and now listening to them pretty frequently. The NO cable swap wasn't that dramatic, but it had that sort of effect. I was not impressed initially when listening with the stock cable; after the swap, they've become one of my favorites. I don't think it's the particular cable I chose for them either, because I use cables from Periapt, Dyson, Venus Audio, and HiFiMan randomly, just grabbing whatever is at hand. In each case, they're a big improvement over stock. So, my guess is that my stock cable at least was faulty.

Feb 28, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #2,115 of 2,529
At this point, I've replaced the cable on nearly all of my earphones and headphones, all except the ones that are hardwired. Usually that is just to go balanced or because the stock cable is too short, too ugly, or too chintzy. Out of all of those, there have only been two cases where the cable swap made a difference I was certain wasn't just a result of bad memory or placebo effect. The NO is one, of course. The other one was the cable for the TFZ Queen. With that one, the stock cable made them sound absolutely terrible. It gave them an unbearable peak around 2k and harsh metallic treble that I just could not get over. When I went on the forums, I found that my experience of those earphones did not match anyone else's. I kept hearing about how lush and organic they were, and that just wasn't my experience. Well, recently at a meet-up we busted out a multimeter and started testing cables. The cable for the Queen measured alarmingly badly with little consistency between channels. When I got home, I swapped the cable and the sound was immediately better. I can honestly say it made the difference between wanting to sell them, even at a loss, and now listening to them pretty frequently. The NO cable swap wasn't that dramatic, but it had that sort of effect. I was not impressed initially when listening with the stock cable; after the swap, they've become one of my favorites. I don't think it's the particular cable I chose for them either, because I use cables from Periapt, Dyson, Venus Audio, and HiFiMan randomly, just grabbing whatever is at hand. In each case, they're a big improvement over stock. So, my guess is that my stock cable at least was faulty.

Hmmmm, hearing this from another cable atheist. Makes me wonder as well. I chose cables on connections alone, but if you are saying that there is a discernible difference. It's making me want to try a cable swap. Lately I've been listening to NO less frequently, and I've also been in the market for a sturdier cable for my Aiva. I'll bite on this cable swap business. Trust but verify, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back