AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Jan 23, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #1,546 of 2,529
In my opinion this is a type of music that was created to break sale-records again and does not offer anything interesting for an audio enthusiast. Just because the 50 Shades of Grey was a New York Time's bestseller(not sure about that but that crap was so popular) doesn't mean it's worth reading.

Is there a point of getting the Nightowls when I already own the 2C's? Are they different enough to own them both?

I own both currently. IMHO, the reason would be that the Owls can be used as a portable closed back where the LCD2C really cannot. However, when I am sitting at my desk, I would never reach for the Owls over the LCD2c. But, I would take them home with me on the weekends from work etc. The other reason would be that the Owls are simply superb headphones in their own right for the current price. I've toyed with selling them but I have not because for the $250 I'm likely to get for them I do not believe anything is out there to compete with them at this time. Even something like the HD6XX seems like it will be a downgrade.

Jan 31, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #1,547 of 2,529
I own both currently. IMHO, the reason would be that the Owls can be used as a portable closed back where the LCD2C really cannot. However, when I am sitting at my desk, I would never reach for the Owls over the LCD2c. But, I would take them home with me on the weekends from work etc. The other reason would be that the Owls are simply superb headphones in their own right for the current price. I've toyed with selling them but I have not because for the $250 I'm likely to get for them I do not believe anything is out there to compete with them at this time. Even something like the HD6XX seems like it will be a downgrade.

I couldn't agree more. I purchased the HD6XX to see what the fuss was about. They were also great for the money but after a week or so of exclusively using the HD6XX, I switched back to my NO's and was immediately happier with the sound, not to mention the comfort. I started my serious headphone hobby with the NO's and I fear it was a mistake as it has ruined me for comfort over everything I've tried since. I now have the Focal Clear and Audeze 3F's in addition and find them both far less comfortable. The Audeze is just unwieldy and heavy and the Clears are a little bit easier to handle but not particularly comfortable relative to the NO's. After 2 hours with the Audeze the other night I just couldn't take the weight anymore so I switched to the NO's and it was like they were floating on my head in comparison.

I will definitely be keeping mine for porting around with me, maybe taking to work, and relief when my head tires of other headphones but I'm still in the mood to listen!

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #1,548 of 2,529
I started my serious headphone hobby with the NO's and I fear it was a mistake as it has ruined me for comfort over everything I've tried since.

I will definitely be keeping mine for porting around with me, maybe taking to work, and relief when my head tires of other headphones but I'm still in the mood to listen!
I'm the same way....comfort is right up there with how the hp sounds. If they are not comfortable...I won't reach for them. (my B&W P7 wireless falls into that category...)

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #1,549 of 2,529
I couldn't agree more. I purchased the HD6XX to see what the fuss was about. They were also great for the money but after a week or so of exclusively using the HD6XX, I switched back to my NO's and was immediately happier with the sound, not to mention the comfort. I started my serious headphone hobby with the NO's and I fear it was a mistake as it has ruined me for comfort over everything I've tried since. I now have the Focal Clear and Audeze 3F's in addition and find them both far less comfortable. The Audeze is just unwieldy and heavy and the Clears are a little bit easier to handle but not particularly comfortable relative to the NO's. After 2 hours with the Audeze the other night I just couldn't take the weight anymore so I switched to the NO's and it was like they were floating on my head in comparison.

I have made the owls my home weekend cans. LCD2c for work where I spend most of my time. I pair them with a portable topping nx4 at home. They sound amazing. And yes comfort is unsurpassed.

Feb 2, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #1,551 of 2,529
Got my Nightowls delivered yesterday and I already love them! I haven't yet compared them to my LCD-2C's but for now they sound even more exciting to me. I've owned the LCD's for about a year now, I quite like them because they are the most advanced/high-end headphones I've ever owned. But they are actually lacking that WOW-factor I'm looking for. Maybe its because of the amp(Audio GD R2R 11) and their high power requirement but so far they haven't surprised me.

I'm thinking about some portable bluetooth-LDAC/aptX-DAC/amp for work that will not break the bank. What would you guys recommend? My coworker has the EarStudio ES100, what are the alternatives at this price point that will drive the Nightowls?

Feb 2, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #1,553 of 2,529
Anyone tried the Nightowls with a Chord Mojo? I would appreciate your thoughts.

I have that combination. They definitely go well together. Makes me want to keep searching for more music. I don't have anything to compare with though, since I don't own a lot of other HP's nor amps.
Mojo just seems to make most things sound good.

Feb 3, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #1,554 of 2,529
Sorry is this has been covered in the previous 104 pages, not easy to search...

Looking for a balanced 2.5mm cable for the NO that is available/buyable from a UK supplier within the next 10 days (my daughter can accept delivery and bring it here when she visits).

Many thanks .Zero experience with after-sale cables.

Feb 3, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #1,555 of 2,529
Got my Nightowls delivered yesterday and I already love them! I haven't yet compared them to my LCD-2C's but for now they sound even more exciting to me. I've owned the LCD's for about a year now, I quite like them because they are the most advanced/high-end headphones I've ever owned. But they are actually lacking that WOW-factor I'm looking for. Maybe its because of the amp(Audio GD R2R 11) and their high power requirement but so far they haven't surprised me.

I'm thinking about some portable bluetooth-LDAC/aptX-DAC/amp for work that will not break the bank. What would you guys recommend? My coworker has the EarStudio ES100, what are the alternatives at this price point that will drive the Nightowls?
Had an es100 for several months til it got thrown in the wash. Loved the eq options. Picked up the Fiio BTR3. Sounds noticeably cbetter to my ears. Less power than the es100, but none of my phones are over 50ohms, so the btr3 is more than adequate. Less expensive than es100 as well

Feb 3, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #1,556 of 2,529
Feb 4, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #1,558 of 2,529
Feb 4, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #1,559 of 2,529
Thanks again, ordered them today. He seems like a competent guy - answered my four mail enquiries immediately, ETA Thursday.

Went for red and the 8 core braided option. Why not:ksc75smile:

Pleased with yours?

Yes, very pleased. Otherwise I would not have recommended it in here:)

I wrote more about it in the Nighthawk thread and I think a few people have ordered from him. The first one that I ordered with the grey cable I ended up giving to my husband for his HD700, HiFi man, and Oppo. I could tell he wanted it:) I ordered another for myself and had it a couple of days later... for that one I went with the maroon instead of the grey because I figured it would compliment the wood color of the original NH and I did not want both cables to be the same. I am considering ordering another for my Meze Neo in black. I believe that one would also work with my Amiron.

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #1,560 of 2,529
Yes, very pleased. Otherwise I would not have recommended it in here:)

I wrote more about it in the Nighthawk thread and I think a few people have ordered from him. The first one that I ordered with the grey cable I ended up giving to my husband for his HD700, HiFi man, and Oppo. I could tell he wanted it:) I ordered another for myself and had it a couple of days later... for that one I went with the maroon instead of the grey because I figured it would compliment the wood color of the original NH and I did not want both cables to be the same. I am considering ordering another for my Meze Neo in black. I believe that one would also work with my Amiron.
Is 4.4mm balanced an option? Would I have to contact after a sale? I don't see the option for colors or connector on the listing. (I probably asked this question before knowing me)
Thx,
Bern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back