AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Feb 4, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #1,561 of 2,529
Is 4.4mm balanced an option? Would I have to contact after a sale? I don't see the option for colors or connector on the listing. (I probably asked this question before knowing me)
Thx,
Bern

If you read the whole listing you will see where he says you say in a message what color you want and what termination and yes, 4.4 is one of them.

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #1,562 of 2,529
If you read the whole listing you will see where he says you say in a message what color you want and what termination and yes, 4.4 is one of them.
Thx...I went back to your original listing....someone replied that 4.4mm was available. (that someone was ME). Sometimes I'd like to slap myself. I would if I thought it would help.

Thx again,
Bern

Feb 19, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #1,568 of 2,529
:) I remember explaining why I have two identical headphones. To the uninitiated, after a short glance the Hawk and Owl look the same.

Not in trouble because I am a responsible person, but yes, the questions always come.

Feb 27, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #1,571 of 2,529
Already having the Nighthawk I needed a closed hp so I went for the Nightowl over the Fostex TH-X00 that I was thinking about getting. I'm glad I got the Owl because Audioquest really did fix the things a lot of people didn't like about the NH.

It's only been about 6 days with about 20 hours on them and they sound very nice indeed. More forward mids and a better more extended treble, and I also feel the veil that the NH has isn't on the Nightowl. The bass has more control over the NH and sounds clearer and cleaner as well. With a soundstage as good as an open hp I really enjoying these quite a bit. I'd even go as far and say they are about as good as my Elear and LCD-2C, maybe not quite the same league per se but in the same ballpark that for sure.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #1,572 of 2,529
Already having the Nighthawk I needed a closed hp so I went for the Nightowl over the Fostex TH-X00 that I was thinking about getting. I'm glad I got the Owl because Audioquest really did fix the things a lot of people didn't like about the NH.

It's only been about 6 days with about 20 hours on them and they sound very nice indeed. More forward mids and a better more extended treble, and I also feel the veil that the NH has isn't on the Nightowl. The bass has more control over the NH and sounds clearer and cleaner as well. With a soundstage as good as an open hp I really enjoying these quite a bit. I'd even go as far and say they are about as good as my Elear and LCD-2C, maybe not quite the same league per se but in the same ballpark that for sure.

Completely agree. I did not like the NH. I own both NO and LCD2c and love them both for different reasons. I give the edge to LCD2c but NO is still excellent and for the 250 I paid I seriously doubt anything can beat them. They are more forgiving than LCD2c so they can be used with something simple like a portable amp or es100.

Feb 28, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #1,573 of 2,529

...and give them more time to open up. Yesterday I opened a new pair of the Nightowls and started listening. Then I put on my first pair which has about 100 hours on it. Clear difference. The sound does open, the mids/treble become clearer but without losing the warm sound we like on these.

Feb 28, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #1,574 of 2,529
Which ear pads do people like to use on them?

I like the suede pads over the protein leather ones. I feel like they smooth everything out more and the bass has better control. The mids come through a bit better as well.

Mar 1, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #1,575 of 2,529
Which ear pads do people like to use on them?

I like the suede pads over the protein leather ones. I feel like they smooth everything out more and the bass has better control. The mids come through a bit better as well.
Hybrid pads, hands down, no contest. I have a pair on both my Nighthawks and my Nightowls. The Protein pads are in a drawer somewhere, never to be seen again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back