AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 22, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #8,326 of 10,196
Oh I hate these headphones. They make all my other headphones sound so bright. I used to love my DT 1990 and Grados, but now I can’t have them for more than 1 hour before I get tired. The Elex was once slightly bright headphones for me but now they have become unlistenable. Maybe it’s because of my source (H2) is also on the brighter side that makes my other headphones sound too aggressive in the treble or high mid, but I wasn’t really aware until I got used to the NH sound. Anyway the NH with H2 sounds PERFECT to me and for the first time in years I stopped listening to music thinking about “what else could be upgraded in my setup”, instead just enjoy the music like a school boy listening to Kid A from his Walkman, like I used to be. What’s the point of your system being “correct”, if you can’t really enjoy them?

I have a friend who likes to buy 2 copies of the same books, reads one and keeps the other in storage. I used to laugh about him cos I thought it meaningless and being a waste of resources to keep something not in use, but! I’m sure I’ll do the unthinkable to purchase another pair of NH before it’s forever gone. It terrifies me to think that if I broke my current pair of NH then I might never have another pair of NH.. ever! Can’t imagine it happening..

It’s sad that such great/ unique/ musical headphones would soon be out of stock. For people like me who is sensitive to high mid and treble, these are truly a blessing. I hope one day Massdrop would find out about it and bring these classics back to life.

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #8,327 of 10,196
By the way, not sure it’s been mentioned here or not, but if you’re looking for some in ear alternative to the NH, give the Final E5000 a listen if you could. Slightly more forward high mid and treble than the NH, MUCH MUCH MUCH harder to drive, but also have amazing bass, not fatiguing at all, and are as comfortable as in ears can get. NH still provide an even more effortless and relaxed listening, but if you could take the NH being just a little bit more aggressive, these are really worth trying.

Nov 22, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #8,328 of 10,196
I have just ordered a 1.2m balanced cable (2.5mm) for my NH to use with my iBasso DX120 and/or Opus#1 DAPs. I should have it by the end of the week... made here in the UK. It cost £32.50.

My balanced cable arrived today. Perfect for my needs.There were so many colors to choose from for the part below the split but I just went neutral It looks good with my DAP (the DX120). The NH sounds great out of the balanced output which is very powerful The seller makes these and others. He sells them on Ebay. Free shipping in the UK... not sure how much for other countries but it does say he posts worldwide. I paid £32.50 ( about $42 I think) total for mine. I chose the 1.2m length which is just right and the less expensive 4 core OCC copper option.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hifiman-...m=532529570271&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

R0013876.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #8,329 of 10,196
My balanced cable arrived today. Perfect for my needs.There were so many colors to choose from for the part below the split but I just went neutral It looks good with my DAP (the DX120). The NH sounds great out of the balanced output which is very powerful The seller makes these and others. He sells them on Ebay. Free shipping in the UK... not sure how much for other countries but it does say he posts worldwide. I paid £32.50 ( about $42 I think) total for mine. I chose the 1.2m length which is just right and the less expensive 4 core OCC copper option.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hifiman-HE400i-cable-upgrade-HE4XX-HE1000-hd700-Audioquest-Oppo-pm-2x2-5mm/232980160268?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=532497964609&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Looks nice...he also terminates into 4.4mm for those interested.

Nov 22, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #8,330 of 10,196
instead just enjoy the music like a school boy listening to Kid A from his Walkman

First time listening to Kid A on a Walkman.... Yup - that was a trip :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hifiman-HE400i-cable-upgrade-HE4XX-HE1000-hd700-Audioquest-Oppo-pm-2x2-5mm/232980160268?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=532497964609&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thanks! Works out to $55.21CAD plus $12.74CAD shipping. Not too bad!

When you have time, please confirm that it also works with your 1More Triple Drivers. Please and thank you!

Nov 22, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #8,331 of 10,196
First time listening to Kid A on a Walkman.... Yup - that was a trip :)

Thanks! Works out to $55.21CAD plus $12.74CAD shipping. Not too bad!

When you have time, please confirm that it also works with your 1More Triple Drivers. Please and thank you!

Thank you! I never thought about the 1More because it has stereo plugs into the cups, like the HiFiman. This cable is working perfectly on the 1More. Don't like the silver plugs with my gold 1More but would look great with your silver 1More. Not sure if there is any benefit but I am not the best person to judge. Maybe @groucho69 could try his 1More balanced.

Nov 22, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #8,332 of 10,196
Thank you! I never thought about the 1More because it has stereo plugs into the cups, like the HiFiman. This cable is working perfectly on the 1More. Don't like the silver plugs with my gold 1More but would look great with your silver 1More. Not sure if there is any benefit but I am not the best person to judge. Maybe @groucho69 could try his 1More balanced.

You want me stop listening to my NH????????????????????

And I do not have the same cable as you.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #8,333 of 10,196
You want me stop listening to my NH????????????????????

And I do not have the same cable as you.

True...and yours was more expensive so maybe it is better.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #8,334 of 10,196
Thank you! I never thought about the 1More because it has stereo plugs into the cups, like the HiFiman. This cable is working perfectly on the 1More. Don't like the silver plugs with my gold 1More but would look great with your silver 1More.

Excellent! Thanks.

Not sure if there is any benefit but I am not the best person to judge. Maybe @groucho69 could try his 1More balanced.

But it's balanced. It has to sound better, right? :wink:

Nov 22, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #8,336 of 10,196
Nov 22, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #8,337 of 10,196
Got my Nighthawks a few days days ago very unusual sound that I wasn't used to darkest I've owned after a few days of comparing these against the HD 600s I just also bought used and a set of M1060 planar magnetics I can say that these take the trophy. The bass is excellent however I am running some dsp on them to be precise a - 2db low shelf from around 700 hz down. This levels out their slightly dark nature for me but since I always use dsp to tweak my cans it's not an issue. Mids are fantastic and the highs definitely benefit from the dsp for my ears. Please bear in mind that I'm nearly 50 and an ex soldier so I don't exactly have the hearing of a teenager.

Very comfortable cans they don't have too much clamping force unlike the hd600's. And don't feel like your balancing weights on your head like the 1060's.

I received a new cable for them today accrolink 6n silver plated with neutrik 4pin xlr nothing wrong with the stock cables, I just wanted something shorter so got something sturdy and well built.

The system is my other new toys usb smsl su-8 balanced out used as volume control, massdrop thx 789 balanced in with volume pot at max gain on full. And the nighthawks.

For the price I paid loving them excellent for long listening sessions which is something I do a lot and no harshness I just don't get tired listening to them.

BTW if you want want to try a bit of quick and easy dsp on your android device for your cans there's a little app called NEUTRALIZER on the play store it's free and worth having a play with even if it's only to A/B the difference.

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #8,338 of 10,196

Glad you found what you wanted for a damn good price! Looks really nice too!

Mine have arrived in Australia but haven't yet got to my address, patience is a virtue!

Nov 23, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #8,340 of 10,196
Glad you found what you wanted for a damn good price! Looks really nice too!

Mine have arrived in Australia but haven't yet got to my address, patience is a virtue!

Hello fellow resident of Oz.

Looks like this magical land is hoarding all the NH :)

Now playing the NH off a SEX 2.1 and its sublime. Just the right thing for a cold Friday evening in Melbourne.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back