AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Oct 26, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #1,336 of 2,528
Alrighty, got my NOs in and fit, finish, immediate impressions are very favorable. I brought them to work today to listen more and test with a coworker who has a ifi nano (non-bl) + HD600 setup. We did some comparisons, and is it crazy for me to think the HD600s had more noticeable bass than my NOs? I'm using the all leather "boost" pads, and although the bass was definitely there, on most songs it sounded stronger with the HD600. Songs varied by genre and recording (from ripped DVD-A to redbook). Found this line from darko's review that seems accurate based on my recent comparison, "The top shelf Sennheisers give us tighter bass and a more overt delivery of textural information but they’re not as impactful in the low end as the NightOwl Carbon". Most other reviews I see though make me feel like I should hear more than I do? Maybe I'm a basshead and didn't realize it?

Does sound leak? I work in a quiet office environment, looking for a closed back with little to no leak

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #1,337 of 2,528
Does sound leak? I work in a quiet office environment, looking for a closed back with little to no leak

I heard nothing from coworkers as they tried them out. They weren't playing that loud though, and we also have an open office with ambient noise so that might have masked any leakage. Will try some more and ask someone to try and listen for any while I play at an "in the zone" sound level.

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #1,338 of 2,528

I get complaints from my wife about sound leakage, but I think part of the issue is that the thin-walled leather pads paired with my wide-arm glasses make for a relatively poor seal. Not terrible, it doesn't affect the bass much, but the sound leakage is more than my AEON C or EL-8, and about the same as the E-MU Teak or Fostex TH series.

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #1,339 of 2,528
I get complaints from my wife about sound leakage, but I think part of the issue is that the thin-walled leather pads paired with my wide-arm glasses make for a relatively poor seal. Not terrible, it doesn't affect the bass much, but the sound leakage is more than my AEON C or EL-8, and about the same as the E-MU Teak or Fostex TH series.

Thank you! I owned the Teak and Aeon C, so with that I'm gonna have to pass on these for my office/on the go pair.

I could listen to the Teaks at work but would always need to listen at just audible volumes to hear everything. Every now and then I'd want to turn it up and jam out. The Aeon C was definitely good with sound leakage but I found the sound sig a bit too flat for me and not enough bass

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #1,340 of 2,528
Thank you! I owned the Teak and Aeon C, so with that I'm gonna have to pass on these for my office/on the go pair.

I could listen to the Teaks at work but would always need to listen at just audible volumes to hear everything. Every now and then I'd want to turn it up and jam out. The Aeon C was definitely good with sound leakage but I found the sound sig a bit too flat for me and not enough bass
Yup, same for me about Aeon C. I think I saw a graph of it with dip somewhere around the mids and a sharp rise in the treble. It kinda sounded like it. Like an unrefined HD800.

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #1,341 of 2,528

The AEON C is outstanding for isolation, among the very best. The EL-8 isolates even better, can you believe that? Nothing escapes that titanium shell. To the point where people assume that I am not even listening to music, because they can hear nothing from those cups, glasses be damned. I would suggest them to you, but they have even less bass than the AEON. Even with EQ, they are leaner than I normally like. Definitely an acquired taste.

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #1,342 of 2,528
The AEON C is outstanding for isolation, among the very best. The EL-8 isolates even better, can you believe that? Nothing escapes that titanium shell. To the point where people assume that I am not even listening to music, because they can hear nothing from those cups, glasses be damned. I would suggest them to you, but they have even less bass than the AEON. Even with EQ, they are leaner than I normally like. Definitely an acquired taste.

I was hoping the Mobius could have been my on the go office pair/ AND gaming headset, but the sound quality is only good imo, not great. And sound leakage is just soso.

Oct 26, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,343 of 2,528
I was hoping the Mobius could have been my on the go office pair/ AND gaming headset, but the sound quality is only good imo, not great. And sound leakage is just soso.

It's a tall order: comfortable, high-quality sound, well-isolating, and solid bass presence. I settled for 3 out of 4 with the AEON and am shooting for the fourth (the bass) with the Atticus. My guess is that it's going to fall short of long-term comfort, frankly.

Let me offer you an unorthodox approach: earbuds. Like the old-school ones, not IEMs. I've been enjoying those more and more in an office setting (well, in my case, classroom/library) for a few reasons: nice thick warm mid-bassy goodness, wide-open airy sound, high isolation going out (people around me can't hear them much), but low isolation going in (so I don't have to constantly remove them to hear outside sound, just hit pause), and great comfort.

Oct 26, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #1,344 of 2,528
It's a tall order: comfortable, high-quality sound, well-isolating, and solid bass presence. I settled for 3 out of 4 with the AEON and am shooting for the fourth (the bass) with the Atticus. My guess is that it's going to fall short of long-term comfort, frankly.

Let me offer you an unorthodox approach: earbuds. Like the old-school ones, not IEMs. I've been enjoying those more and more in an office setting (well, in my case, classroom/library) for a few reasons: nice thick warm mid-bassy goodness, wide-open airy sound, high isolation going out (people around me can't hear them much), but low isolation going in (so I don't have to constantly remove them to hear outside sound, just hit pause), and great comfort.

Yeah I started looking into buds!! I haven't done much research though, what pair do you own? From quick readups I was gonna look more into Shozy, Rose Maysa, and Toneking

Oct 26, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #1,345 of 2,528
Yeah I started looking into buds!! I haven't done much research though, what pair do you own? From quick readups I was gonna look more into Shozy, Rose Maysa, and Toneking

I started with the obvious: VE Monk Plus. It's 10 bucks, so not a big deal to experiment. I found it helpful to start there and see what I liked/disliked about them before getting in too deep. They are sort of the HD650 of the earbuds community, in that everyone has heard them so it's easy to refer to those to explain the sound of something else.

Those are all good options, but I would add the Penon BS1 in there as well.

Probably shouldn't talk too much about earbuds in this thread, but there is always the mile-a-minute earbuds thread here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400
(Go ahead and skip a couple thousand pages...)

EDIT: All right, last OT stuff... Check out the Moondrop Nameless. Killer for $25.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #1,346 of 2,528
I do like a darker headphone. I got the NO in a good trade and really like its signature. I would say that I liked it better than the Meze 99 Classics. I just loaned those out waiting the 99 Noir. I haven't found much that compares to the comfort of the NO. They may be my most listened to piece, outside of IEMs I EDC. Would like to have heard the Aeon C.

Oct 26, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #1,347 of 2,528
I do like a darker headphone. I got the NO in a good trade and really like its signature. I would say that I liked it better than the Meze 99 Classics. I just loaned those out waiting the 99 Noir. I haven't found much that compares to the comfort of the NO. They may be my most listened to piece, outside of IEMs I EDC. Would like to have heard the Aeon C.
Dark loving is not enough, you enter into a whole new world of sonic paradise, that might requires you be trained some time to enjoy the fullest extent.

Oct 26, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #1,348 of 2,528
Anyone think I'm crazy regarding my bass comments about the NO? I'm continuing to listen to music and all sounds good but found it surprising I heard and felt the bass more on the HD600s. Also not yet playing around with sources, trying to stay consistent as I learn the new cans. Using a HiBy R3 as DAP and DAC for laptop. Also have the other stuff in sig (and a mojo en route). Tested NOs on coworkers ifi nano when comparing.

Oct 26, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #1,349 of 2,528
I must recall my memory to comment on your case.
NO is not weak for bass section in comparison to hd6xx.
You mean the extension of bass or the magnitude of bass?

Oct 26, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #1,350 of 2,528
Dark loving is not enough, you enter into a whole new world of sonic paradise, that might requires you be trained some time to enjoy the fullest extent.

Huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back