AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Oct 22, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #1,306 of 2,528
I could give you a list of reasons why, but it would make it seem like I don't actually love the NO. I do.

Not at all, to some degree I think it's certainly easier to ascribe higher values to open backs; remember, I'm specifically referring to closed back cup design when talking in the sub $1,000 realm as they inherently have more sound-inhibiting physics to overcome. Before the Owl I had (and still own) the Shure SRH1540 and it was only the Owl that finally persuaded me to drop more cash on a pair of closed cans. I guess it'd be helpful to qualify my preferences, which are more musical than analytical, warm than cold, dark than bright (although I don't mind treble extension) and detail retrieval to an extent, but I wouldn't consider myself a critical listener so beyond a point it becomes negligible. Oh, and I definitely fall on the bass-head end of the continuum!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #1,307 of 2,528
@phthora The Owl is easily as good as my Elear.

Ok. I demo’d the Utopia, Clear, Elear and Eleiga this weekend at the Toront Audiofest.

I would say the NO is easily better than the Elear and Eleiga for my tastes. Those two have a more generic sound whereas NO is something special and does its own thing. Given the choice between the three, give me NO anytime.

As for the Clear, that’s tough. I would say the Clear is better in a technical sense (very resolving, neutral, detailed with excellent imaging and dynamics). I would pick it over the NO. Howeverrrr, would it be crazy if I said I felt the NO felt just as spacious? For a closed back!? And equally as pleasant? The tonality and layering of it is so good.

Let’s not talk about the Utopia as it crushes all of these into dust.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #1,308 of 2,528
Not at all, to some degree I think it's certainly easier to ascribe higher values to open backs; remember, I'm specifically referring to closed back cup design when talking in the sub $1,000 realm as they inherently have more sound-inhibiting physics to overcome. Before the Owl I had (and still own) the Shure SRH1540 and it was only the Owl that finally persuaded me to drop more cash on a pair of closed cans. I guess it'd be helpful to qualify my preferences, which are more musical than analytical, warm than cold, dark than bright (although I don't mind treble extension) and detail retrieval to an extent, but I wouldn't consider myself a critical listener so beyond a point it becomes negligible. Oh, and I definitely fall on the bass-head end of the continuum!

Here are my sonic preferences (taken from my profile page):
  • I enjoy many different types of sound signature, but most prefer a signature closely approaching the Harman Target Response Curve.
  • I prefer "planar bass" for its fast decay, great texture, and linearity, especially in the very low sub-bass.
  • I generally prefer an accentuation in the sub-bass much more than a mid-bass hump and I find a lack of bass extension problematic.
  • I am sensitive to peaks and resonances in the 1.0 to 2.2k region, and I do not like more than moderately forward vocals.
  • I am more tolerant than average to peaks and resonances in the 7-8k region. I notice sibilance, but even moderate sibilance does not bother me.
  • I enjoy extended prominent treble, as well as polite treble, as long as there are no sharp peaks or resonances.
  • I generally prefer clarity, resolution, and driver speed over musicality and liquidity, though I still prefer a smooth FR.
  • Soundstage width is a low priority for me. I find imaging and separation much more important.
  • Currently, what I consider closest-to-neutral is the MrSpeakers AEON Closed without tuning pads.
I think that basically explains it. NO seems right up your alley tuning-wise, whereas for me it's an outlier. I love the Owls despite not fitting my usual preferences, which essentially run neutral, open, and planar. For me, the NightOwl will always be a fun sidekick to my main heroes. A great complement to my standard fare, but it won't ever be my endgame.

Ok. I demo’d the Utopia, Clear, Elear and Eleiga this weekend at the Toront Audiofest.

I would say the NO is easily better than the Elear and Eleiga for my tastes. Those two have a more generic sound whereas NO is something especially and does its own thing. Given the choice between the three, give me NO anytime.

As for the Clear, that’s tough. I would say the Clear is better in a technical sense (very resolving, neutral, detailed with excellent imaging and dynamics). I would pick it over the NO. Howeverrrr, would it be crazy if I said I felt the NO felt just as spacious? For a closed back!? And equally as pleasant? The tonality and layering of it is so good.

Let’s not talk about the Utopia as it crushes all of these into dust.

I thought the Utopia sounded like a thousand bucks. Great, in other words, but I guess I didn't hear what was so special about it to warrant 4k. I thought the Elear was nearly as good, just weirdly tuned. I think the Elex might be the Goldilocks Focal for me.

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #1,309 of 2,528
Sounds like you'd already made up your mind when you posted the question. You trollin' us, eh? Eh?!!

I'm just playing. I've not heard the Hawks but if you're going the open route then go for the 2C, but closed-wise (seeing as this is the Owl thread), the Owl's play in the ball-park of any competition up to $1,000.
I'm far from trolling, i'm still very tempted to get the owls because of the new price cut and im always looking for more headphones both closed, open and planar. :p
i'm really tempted to get the owls, im just scared that because audioquest has "discontinued" these headphones im not sure how easy it will bet to get replacement pads/cables in the long run :S

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #1,310 of 2,528
I'm far from trolling, i'm still very tempted to get the owls because of the new price cut and im always looking for more headphones both closed, open and planar. :p
i'm really tempted to get the owls, im just scared that because audioquest has "discontinued" these headphones im not sure how easy it will bet to get replacement pads/cables in the long run :S

Cables are easy. Sennheiser H8497 etc and HD700 fit. Pads are a worry... might have to DIY.

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #1,311 of 2,528
Cables are easy. Sennheiser H8497 etc and HD700 fit. Pads are a worry... might have to DIY.
they do come with spare pads though right? i think someone mentioned they do.

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #1,312 of 2,528
they do come with spare pads though right? i think someone mentioned they do.

They do come with two sets of pads but they are not the same. One is pleather and the other is microsuede. They each affect the sound in different ways. So if you prefer one over the other then the other is not exactly a "spare."

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #1,313 of 2,528
Has anyone spoken to Audioquest about this? What about other companies and their service for customers needing replacement parts for discontinued models. I'm not familiar with headphone industry practices. I couldn't DIY anything even if my life depended on it.

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #1,314 of 2,528
There are retailers that still sell the pads.

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #1,316 of 2,528
Oct 23, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #1,317 of 2,528
They do come with two sets of pads but they are not the same. One is pleather and the other is microsuede. They each affect the sound in different ways. So if you prefer one over the other then the other is not exactly a "spare."
Dam :frowning2: i wonder if there was some kind of 3d printer or leather tailor in my city where i could commission spare pads lol.

Oct 23, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #1,318 of 2,528
Anybody able to compare the Nightowl to B&W PX?

I have them, and enjoy them both. If I want to relax at home with some jazz or mellow music, I use the NO. For metal and rock i use the Px. I think both are warm sounding (the Px more so) and have recessed treble. The Px hits harder because of the high bass/low mid bump. The NO is a better headphone, especially amped, but i would choose the Px if it would be my only headphone. It is wireless, but can be driven through an USB-cable and then it sound damn good. It sounds good in wireless mode too. I think if you like the Px you will like the NO and the other way around.

Edit: NO = more gentle, Px more hard hitting. I like them both.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #1,319 of 2,528
Dam :frowning2: i wonder if there was some kind of 3d printer or leather tailor in my city where i could commission spare pads lol.

I wouldn't worry too much now. By the time you need new pads someone will have figured something out. They always do.

Also I should have mentioned that Hifiman cables also work on the NH/NO. I just tried the ones from my husbands HE400i on my Nighthawk. I don't really like the stock cable that comes with the 400i but there are plenty of aftermarket ones. I use the one for the HD497 because it is only around $10 and has served me will for two years now.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #1,320 of 2,528
I wouldn't worry too much now. By the time you need new pads someone will have figured something out. They always do.

Also I should have mentioned that Hifiman cables also work on the NH/NO. I just tried the ones from my husbands HE400i on my Nighthawl. I don't really like the stock cable that comes with the 400i but there are plenty of aftermarket ones. I use the one for the HD497 because it is only around $10 and has served me will for two years now.
doesnt the nightowl have like a little weird longer 2.5mm single ended left and right on it? :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back