AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Oct 23, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #1,322 of 2,528
doesnt the nightowl have like a little weird longer 2.5mm single ended left and right on it? :S

I don't think it is longer...The plug is just thinner and the housing part needs to be thin enough to go into the body of the cup because the socket is recessed inside the cup. The 2.5mm plugs themselves that come with the NH/NO have just one ring on it... like the Sennheiser models that I mentioned. The Hifiman plugs are also 2.5mm but have two rings.. I think it just depends on how the cable is wired. There are others that might physically fit and yet not work. Just stick with ones that others have found to work.

You will see when you get it:)

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #1,323 of 2,528
Thanks, I bet that one could be converted to balanced too.

Yes you can get balanced cables that will work as long as you stick to some of the models mentioned. I do not have a balanced input on my desktop dac/amp but I do have a couple of DAPs with balanced inputs.

Oct 23, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #1,324 of 2,528
Hm, I find despite the awful ergonomics of the tubby stock cable, it’s actually a pretty good cable with regards to microphonics, cleaness of signal and SQ.

I tried a custom SPC cable and it completely threw off the tonality of the NO. Had the cable resoldered for my HD6XX and it’s a great improvement over stock. I’m assuming Audioquest didn’t cheap out with the NO/NH stock cables.

Oct 26, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #1,327 of 2,528
Oct 26, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #1,328 of 2,528
Oct 26, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #1,329 of 2,528
* facepalm * dont buy over priced cables. lol save your money and buy a normal audio cable with the required ends you need.

*hides signature

My advice is to demo the cable (I know it’s difficult) and see if you notice an improvement.

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #1,330 of 2,528
Well, I just want a balanced cable. It doesn't have to be expensive, that was just the first one that came up when I did a Google search, and I've bought from Moon Audio before. It's just now that I finally have balanced headphones, I intend to own a balanced cable. I'd like it to have the 4.4 plug, but could get one with 2.5 and buy Fiio's adapter.

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #1,331 of 2,528
I have both the NH and NO my cables are either from Artic Cables on eBay or from Periapt Cables ... I prefer the Artic cables due to a thinner y splitter ...

They both sound exactly the same and the prices are relatively not expensive

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #1,332 of 2,528
Well, I just want a balanced cable. It doesn't have to be expensive, that was just the first one that came up when I did a Google search, and I've bought from Moon Audio before. It's just now that I finally have balanced headphones, I intend to own a balanced cable. I'd like it to have the 4.4 plug, but could get one with 2.5 and buy Fiio's adapter.
the one you were looking at was like 250$ thats a bit much for a portable audio cable for headphones... i'd seriously reconsider buying from amazon or something for far less and saving your money.

Oct 26, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #1,334 of 2,528
I am excited for those cable to play its own role in NH/Os, and to see what you are going to listen through them.
The phone is regarded as an extension of cable with respect to engineering parameters of whole system, which are voice coil motor, the filter (or cable being its significant part), and the power source that is the amp with source impedance.
The cable and phone might have around 5 uH each, and the resistance and the capacitance are all express themselves as filter that makes shift of the frequency band into either directions.
Your phone will change directly either for your favor or against, or it will change the phone to a new ones.
I don't think the more expensive the better, but there be a proper cable being existed for proper taste of him or her.

Who knows NHs or NOs will be the best phones ever with a proper cable?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #1,335 of 2,528
Alrighty, got my NOs in and fit, finish, immediate impressions are very favorable. I brought them to work today to listen more and test with a coworker who has a ifi nano (non-bl) + HD600 setup. We did some comparisons, and is it crazy for me to think the HD600s had more noticeable bass than my NOs? I'm using the all leather "boost" pads, and although the bass was definitely there, on most songs it sounded stronger with the HD600. Songs varied by genre and recording (from ripped DVD-A to redbook). Found this line from darko's review that seems accurate based on my recent comparison, "The top shelf Sennheisers give us tighter bass and a more overt delivery of textural information but they’re not as impactful in the low end as the NightOwl Carbon". Most other reviews I see though make me feel like I should hear more than I do? Maybe I'm a basshead and didn't realize it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back