AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Sep 11, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #1,171 of 2,529
Apply some manicure.
I had the cracked and chipped off of small portion of the thick paint.
When I applied the manicure to that part, the phone was recovered back to the original shape and feeling.
But the headphones aren't black. It's a Porsche Carbon color. That black would stick out like a sore thumb. I got ordered rouxhup paint for like $30

Sep 11, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #1,172 of 2,529
It might be not distinguishable.
My Owl's paint should not be big different from yours.
Also there are so many choices among blacks in the beauty shop.
I was surprised for the varieties of black. If you see the black, then it is no more true black.:wink:

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #1,173 of 2,529
I’ve decided to make a custom cable at my local retailer for my NightOwls (price is about USD150 or so).

Do you guys recommend I go with UP OCC or silver plated copper for the materials? Pure silver is a little out of my budget I think.

I think silver plated copper might be a good idea to pair with the mellow sounding and relaxed signature of the NightOwl. Less springy cable too.

Sep 12, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #1,174 of 2,529
I’ve decided to make a custom cable at my local retailer for my NightOwls (price is about USD150 or so).

Do you guys recommend I go with UP OCC or silver plated copper for the materials? Pure silver is a little out of my budget I think.

I think silver plated copper might be a good idea to pair with the mellow sounding and relaxed signature of the NightOwl. Less springy cable too.

Avoid silver plated copper because:

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #1,176 of 2,529

How long do you want your cable to be?

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #1,177 of 2,529
Portable use only.

4ft / 120 cm / 1.2m.

Driven out of phone or DAP. Not high end rigs or home amplifier / desktop setup or something.

I’ve bought a lot of custom cables (around USD900) for my IEMs and I find (personal) a lot of improvement over the stock cables usually and also depending on the combinations of the materials of the cable and make up of the IEMs (BAs or DD, how many, sound signature, house sound, etc). Yes I’m a cable believer haha.

Headphone cables are more diverse than IEMs (which is basically MMCX or 0.78mm 2 pin) but I think the NightOwls are worth investing in. The stock cable is just too thick and heavy.

Been a few days and I like the NightOws better each day. Good sign compared to the reverse usually (honeymoon -> faults).

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #1,179 of 2,529
Sep 12, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,180 of 2,529
Phew! Well, if you're after a good 1.2m cable I hear Kimber Kable has an enticing little number
salty.gif

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #1,181 of 2,529
Sep 12, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #1,182 of 2,529
Portable use only.

4ft / 120 cm / 1.2m.

Driven out of phone or DAP. Not high end rigs or home amplifier / desktop setup or something.

I’ve bought a lot of custom cables (around USD900) for my IEMs and I find (personal) a lot of improvement over the stock cables usually and also depending on the combinations of the materials of the cable and make up of the IEMs (BAs or DD, how many, sound signature, house sound, etc). Yes I’m a cable believer haha.

Headphone cables are more diverse than IEMs (which is basically MMCX or 0.78mm 2 pin) but I think the NightOwls are worth investing in. The stock cable is just too thick and heavy.

Been a few days and I like the NightOws better each day. Good sign compared to the reverse usually (honeymoon -> faults).
I bought these:
Portable use only.

4ft / 120 cm / 1.2m.

I bought these and am quite pleased. Total cost would be about $200. 1.2m and all silver. Company is in Latvia.

http://www.lavricables.com/cables/ultimate-silver-audioquest-nighthawk-upgrade-cable/

Sep 12, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #1,183 of 2,529
This one looks pretty good for the price:

https://amzn.to/2p3xLmQ

61sod-8fT5L._SL1200_.jpg

If anyone gets this one please report back to say if it works for sure with the NH/NO. Also whether or not it is microphonic. I don't want to have to import it to the UK so I would have it sent to my daughter in the States to bring on her next visit. So I would need to know for sure that it works.

Sep 12, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #1,184 of 2,529
Apply some manicure.
I had the cracked and chipped off of small portion of the thick paint.
When I applied the manicure to that part, the phone was recovered back to the original shape and feeling.
Thanks! I’ll get some ordered soon :beerchug:

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #1,185 of 2,529
Might be in the minority here but I like the pleather lads over the suedes.

Better comfort (oddly), isolation, bass clarity and treble. Suedes one are too “bloomy”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back