AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Aug 23, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #991 of 2,529
I think Audioquest does not make money from the business, even though the phones have technical achievement.
I think Skylar did his best to attain those excellent technicalities which have not enough appealing charm to overcome the current standards of sonic scene, that have been set by set of defacto flagship phones.
As engineer, I see there are lots of innovations by analysis on existing techs using current available tools and effort to find unreasonable design practices from the past.
It is sad its leaving so that we might see a pioneer frustrasted not by technology but by marketing of his unique phone, which might appear too early in this biased market driven by customers trained by big brands.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #992 of 2,529
Is there a reason given why Audioquest are exiting the Headphones market and why Skylar is no longer working for them?

Does it also mean there will not be any mobile DACs such as next generation Dragon Fly?

No, they are only leaving the headphone market. Their Dragonfly DAC is a different department/market.

The reason AQ is leaving the headphone market is either because they were not selling well, or because the designer Skylar Gray chose to leave the company and they have no one else to develop them or, a combination of all of the above.

Aug 23, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #993 of 2,529
It seems that if AQ exits the HP market, then what happens when you need extra parts that wear out like: 1) Pads 2) those rubber suspension bits that hold the cups in place. 3) Replacement elastic headband piece?

I can probably find another solution for the headband elastics and the pads (maybe reuse the mounting plates), but those rubber suspension bits might be tricky.

I hope they stock / still make parts for a couple more years since I really do enjoy my Nightowls.

Aug 23, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #994 of 2,529
It seems that if AQ exits the HP market, then what happens when you need extra parts that wear out like: 1) Pads 2) those rubber suspension bits that hold the cups in place. 3) Replacement elastic headband piece?

I can probably find another solution for the headband elastics and the pads (maybe reuse the mounting plates), but those rubber suspension bits might be tricky.

I hope they stock / still make parts for a couple more years since I really do enjoy my Nightowls.

I'm pretty sure they are still stocking replacement parts at least long enough until all of the warranties run out, and probably even longer.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #996 of 2,529
Aug 24, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #999 of 2,529
I think more people need to take a listen to the Nightowl. I don't think it can be matched at the current discount price. This headphone has one of the least fatiguing sound signatures you can find. The imaging and soundstage capabilities are literally equal to many open back headphones as well.

I'd have been happy with the sound if I'd bought them at £600. For £350 they're a ridiculous bargain.

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #1,001 of 2,529
Perhaps Skylar is working on a new TOTL Headphone for another organisation in secret. One can speculate in this way as he is gifted and such talent should be shared with the world.

That would be great. Maybe we should be setting aside some money... just in case...

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #1,002 of 2,529
My three favourite headphones regardless of price:
Audioquest Nighthawks.
Sony MDR Z1R.
Focal Clear.
I'm with you on the first 2!

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #1,003 of 2,529
Perhaps Skylar is working on a new TOTL Headphone for another organisation in secret. One can speculate in this way as he is gifted and such talent should be shared with the world.

Skylar's currently working for Definitive Technology. I looked him up on LinkedIn a while back because I had the same thought...

Aug 24, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #1,004 of 2,529
TOTL? Personally, I'm hoping for another middle-tier, high-value drop like the AQ 'phones. A NightRaven, instead of a NightEagle, in other words. A lot fewer companies can produce excellent products within a reasonable budget. I'd hate to see Skylar go the way of Meze and release something like the Emyprean.

Aug 24, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #1,005 of 2,529
TOTL? Personally, I'm hoping for another middle-tier, high-value drop like the AQ 'phones. A NightRaven, instead of a NightEagle, in other words. A lot fewer companies can produce excellent products within a reasonable budget. I'd hate to see Skylar go the way of Meze and release something like the Emyprean.

Top of the line sound does not have to equal high price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back