1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by xero1, Aug 14, 2016.
First

Back
57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66
68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77
Next

Last
  1. Joong
    I think Audioquest does not make money from the business, even though the phones have technical achievement.
    I think Skylar did his best to attain those excellent technicalities which have not enough appealing charm to overcome the current standards of sonic scene, that have been set by set of defacto flagship phones.
    As engineer, I see there are lots of innovations by analysis on existing techs using current available tools and effort to find unreasonable design practices from the past.
    It is sad its leaving so that we might see a pioneer frustrasted not by technology but by marketing of his unique phone, which might appear too early in this biased market driven by customers trained by big brands.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Bern2 and Colors like this.
  2. Mediahound
    No, they are only leaving the headphone market. Their Dragonfly DAC is a different department/market.

The reason AQ is leaving the headphone market is either because they were not selling well, or because the designer Skylar Gray chose to leave the company and they have no one else to develop them or, a combination of all of the above.

Soundizer likes this.
  3. jksoon
    It seems that if AQ exits the HP market, then what happens when you need extra parts that wear out like: 1) Pads 2) those rubber suspension bits that hold the cups in place. 3) Replacement elastic headband piece?

I can probably find another solution for the headband elastics and the pads (maybe reuse the mounting plates), but those rubber suspension bits might be tricky.

I hope they stock / still make parts for a couple more years since I really do enjoy my Nightowls.

4. Mediahound
    I'm pretty sure they are still stocking replacement parts at least long enough until all of the warranties run out, and probably even longer.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  5. Soundizer
    When was the Dealer communication circulated from Audioquest about the MSRP?

They are already dropped to only £349 in the UK, surely they will not drop further. Deal of the Century.

6. Mediahound
    Back in April of this year.

7. DW75
    I think more people need to take a listen to the Nightowl. I don't think it can be matched at the current discount price. This headphone has one of the least fatiguing sound signatures you can find. The imaging and soundstage capabilities are literally equal to many open back headphones as well.

8. Soundizer
    My three favourite headphones regardless of price:
    Audioquest Nighthawks.
    Sony MDR Z1R.
    Focal Clear.

9. waveSounds
    I'd have been happy with the sound if I'd bought them at £600. For £350 they're a ridiculous bargain.

Soundizer likes this.
  10. Soundizer
    Perhaps Skylar is working on a new TOTL Headphone for another organisation in secret. One can speculate in this way as he is gifted and such talent should be shared with the world.

mbwilson111 likes this.
  11. mbwilson111
    That would be great. Maybe we should be setting aside some money... just in case...

12. Devodonaldson
    I'm with you on the first 2!

13. waveSounds
    Skylar's currently working for Definitive Technology. I looked him up on LinkedIn a while back because I had the same thought...

14. phthora
    TOTL? Personally, I'm hoping for another middle-tier, high-value drop like the AQ 'phones. A NightRaven, instead of a NightEagle, in other words. A lot fewer companies can produce excellent products within a reasonable budget. I'd hate to see Skylar go the way of Meze and release something like the Emyprean.

mbwilson111 likes this.
  15. mbwilson111
    Top of the line sound does not have to equal high price.

Colors likes this.
First

Back
57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66
68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77
Next

Last