1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by xero1, Aug 14, 2016.
First

Back
58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67
69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78
Next

Last
  1. Joong
    He liked Vioelctric HPA V281 with which nighthawks or nightowls were likely tuned.
    I like to hear the listening experience of those phones with V281.
    Is there someone having listened to them?

2. Colors
    I agree. Etymotic's TOTL earphones is the ER4SR/XR ($350) and it kicks a lot of other earphones asses at like $500-1500.

Not easy to find though...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    mbwilson111 likes this.
  3. phthora
    Sure, but if we are thinking TOTL as being at least one step above the NightOwl, for example, that's a debut MSRP of at least $800. I'd love to see something around half that.

mbwilson111 likes this.
  4. mbwilson111
    He also said he liked his Nighthawk straight out of his iPhone...and that he liked the ultrasuede pads.

Joong likes this.
  5. trellus
    Have you heard the Nighthawks? I'm struggling between getting the 'Hawks or the Owls. I tend to favor open backs in general, but I'm wondering if the Owls are so unique in the closed category that they should be my first choice over the Nighthawks...

6. DW75
    Unfortunately, I have never heard the NIghthawk. I strongly recommend the Nightowl though. Even though it is a closed back, it actually sounds like an open back. You will be impressed with it, I am sure. It has instrument separation, spaciousness, imaging, and soundstage that you just don't expect to hear from a closed back headphone.

phthora likes this.
  7. phthora
    +1 Fully agree with the above.

8. DW75
    Hey Trellus, just make sure you allow the Nightowl at least 80-100 to burn in. Its sound continues to improve overtime. I have heard some claim that this headphone will continue to improve up to 300. IMO though, it does not take nearly this long. It reaches its final sound at around 140-150 hours or so.

trellus likes this.
  9. Devodonaldson
    I own borh. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask

10. Mediahound
    They sound similar but Nighthawk has slightly more muffled vocals, they don’t seem as accurate in that respect.

Both headphones have a pleasing fatigue free sound.

11. DW75
    On a side note too, trellus, I am sure you remember the discussions over at the Shure SRH1540 thread. I ended up returning mine, and that was when I bought the Nightowl instead. There is no comparison. The Nightowl is a much better headphone.

12. Joong
    Yes NOs/NHs are beauty with poison.
    With some song you can find thorns of poison that repels people.
    And yet with other music they poison your mind.

13. waveSounds
    The Owl is my favourite of all time. ALL. TIME.

I took them on a family holiday with me recently and now my cousin and step-mother are Owl owners. My father wanted one, but didn't want the same pair as my step-mother [​IMG]

He ended up going with a Beyer T5p (gen 2)... they weren't delivered before we left so haven't had a chance to listen yet, but even without hearing them I'd be inclined to say they're not better, just a different flavour.

Joong likes this.
  14. Joong
    Definitely T5p is no better than NOs or NHs for sure.

15. TiborM
    +1 for NightOwls
    Anyone using them with Lyr 3? Because they benefit nicely from tubes, I just use cheap chi-fi Tube 01 in front of my rHead and can't go without it anymore.
    So I'm thinking about getting the Lyr, Lyr 3 :) :-D

Joong likes this.
First

Back
58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67
69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78
Next

Last