AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Jan 28, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #122 of 2,528
How did you find the treble? That is my main concern about considering these.  Was the bass slow and boomy?  I am not looking for slow and boomy.

Thank you

Riley

Have you heard Nighthawks?

To my ears, Nightowl bass is perceived as being tighter than Nighthawks, especially if you use the Micro Suede pads.

Treble is smooth and extended. It's easy to listen to, but I don't feel like I'm missing out.

For reference, I'd rather listen to almost anything other than HD800. The AKG K553 Pros I bought sound thin and lifeless. I love HE400 bass but mids are thin and treble is peaky.

I know Nighthawks aren't for everyone, but I love them to pieces.

I also think my overall assessment of Nightowls from RMAF holds true in that Nightowls are Nighthawk-esque but tuning is every so slightly adjusted in a way that will please the prevailing preferences of the headfi crowd.

Again, I'll elaborate more soon. I do want to play with pad rolling on both NH and NO a bit more first, though. I appreciate your patience.

Jan 28, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #123 of 2,528
Have you heard Nighthawks?

To my ears, Nightowl bass is perceived as being tighter than Nighthawks, especially if you use the Micro Suede pads.

Treble is smooth and extended. It's easy to listen to, but I don't feel like I'm missing out.

For reference, I'd rather listen to almost anything other than HD800. The AKG K553 Pros I bought sound thin and lifeless. I love HE400 bass but mids are thin and treble is peaky.

I know Nighthawks aren't for everyone, but I love them to pieces.

I also think my overall assessment of Nightowls from RMAF holds true in that Nightowls are Nighthawk-esque but tuning is every so slightly adjusted in a way that will please the prevailing preferences of the headfi crowd.

Again, I'll elaborate more soon. I do want to play with pad rolling on both NH and NO a bit more first, though. I appreciate your patience.

I have never heard the Nighthawks or the Nightowls.  I am looking into getting Audeze EL8 as I love their sound from a brief audition a year ago.  Would the Nightowl probably not be for me if I really liked the EL8 sound signature?  I loved the EL8 tight controlled and not overpowering bass smooth yet not too warm mids and clear airy treble that was detailed and not too much yet still powerful.

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #124 of 2,528
I have never heard the Nighthawks or the Nightowls.  I am looking into getting Audeze EL8 as I love their sound from a brief audition a year ago.  Would the Nightowl probably not be for me if I really liked the EL8 sound signature?  I loved the EL8 tight controlled and not overpowering bass smooth yet not too warm mids and clear airy treble that was detailed and not too much yet still powerful.

It sounds like you should just go for the EL8. Why look elsewhere if you really liked it? I'm not of the opinion that we need to sway you away from purchasing something you've tested out and thought highly enough to strongly consider purchasing. In other words, go for the easy win, man. Just get the EL8...

All we can do is tell you how much we love the AQ headphones. I mean out of the many headphones I tested at RMAF, there was only one pair that I liked better and it was the HiFiMan Edition X v2 at roughly three times the price I paid for my Nighthawks. I reviewed the original HEX and loved those, too. So I know that love is real, but there's no way I'd get three times the enjoyment from then vs NH, lol.

However, and this is a big however, that's just my opinion. It certainly doesn't mean HEX or NH or NO is better for anyone else. I'm not that egotistical, lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #125 of 2,528
It sounds like you should just go for the EL8. Why look elsewhere if you really liked it? I'm not of the opinion that we need to sway you away from purchasing something you've tested out and thought highly enough to strongly consider purchasing. In other words, go for the easy win, man. Just get the EL8...

All we can do is tell you how much we love the AQ headphones. I mean out of the many headphones I tested at RMAF, there was only one pair that I liked better and it was the HiFiMan Edition X v2 at roughly three times the price I paid for my Nighthawks. I reviewed the original HEX and loved those, too. So I know that love is real, but there's no way I'd get three times the enjoyment from then vs NH, lol.

However, and this is a big however, that's just my opinion. It certainly doesn't mean HEX or NH or NO is better for anyone else. I'm not that egotistical, lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Okay.  Thank you very much for being so honest.  I truly appreciate it my friend.

Cheers

Riley

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #126 of 2,528
Okay.  Thank you very much for being so honest.  I truly appreciate it my friend.

Cheers

Riley

No problem. Personally, I don't think it's any headfi'ers business to convince people to buy something. Not that I haven't strongly urged people to buy gear I love, but it's almost always people I've gotten to know and have a very strong feeling they'll be happy with the gear.

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #127 of 2,528
So...Anybody having issues with the new "Mic" cable? My button function has completely quit working??? Tried resetting the phone, cleaning the ends, etc. no luck? Anybody else having any issues? Thanks!

PS - Using an iPhone 6S

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #128 of 2,528
So...Anybody having issues with the new "Mic" cable? My button function has completely quit working??? Tried resetting the phone, cleaning the ends, etc. no luck? Anybody else having any issues? Thanks!

PS - Using an iPhone 6S

It's a very common problem when pairing Audioquest with Apple products. It even happens with their Dragonfly products.

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #130 of 2,528
Think it's worth sending it back to swap? Thanks

No because the problem isn't the cable. It's the stupid Apple dongle and it's crappy DAC. If you have an older iPhone or iPad, you can plug the 3.5 mm connect in directly without any problems. Or you can plug it in directly to your laptop or computer and it will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back