AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
May 20, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #871 of 2,528
Hey trellus,

Yes, I ended up returning my SRH1540 for a refund a few days ago. The bass on that headphone is just too bloated, boomy, and muddy for my taste. The bass bleeds right up into the mids. The upper treble was too recessed as well. I will say though that the soundstage and imaging on the Shure was quite impressive though for a closed back. I decided to get the Nightowl Carbon instead. You will definitely see my input here once I get the Nightowl. I am rather excited to try it.

May 20, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #872 of 2,528
@DW75 I'm sad Audioquest got out of the headphone market -- the Nightowl Carbon is a gorgeous headphone, as are the other models they sold, and from what I read on here, they sound damn good, too.

May 20, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #874 of 2,528
Well, maybe you should get one as well. :L3000:

Eh heh, well I've reached such saturation of headphones that I'd need to sell or give some away before I can get another one... particularly since I literally just today scored a used Sennheiser HD 630VB in excellent condition, on eBay, for just under $187 with shipping -- and that's a headphone that's been on my buy list for a long time.

May 20, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #876 of 2,528
The HD 630VB was the other one I was considering.

That's right, I think you mentioned that... it's a bit of gamble, in my mind, since it has really not by any means taken the audiophile world by storm, and many people who loved the 650 or 600 have s*** on the 630VB or just ignored it altogether. But there are a number of people I respect her on Head-Fi who have it and have praised it, and I've wanted it since it was announced, but was definitely not looking to pay MSRP.

May 20, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #879 of 2,528
I have a good feeling about the Nightowl. In terms of sound characteristics, I think this headphone is going to offer something different from anything I have bought before.

Unique is what I remember from Z Reviews on the NightHawk, and I know they're not the same, but I'd wager that they are unique as well. Yeah, the 630VB I bought was from an eBay seller with hundreds of ratings, member in good standing since 2013, 100% positive rating -- looks like an individual, rather than an eBay-store style of seller, so I feel pretty confident it should be good, but yeah, I did check that because the price was below market price for that condition. I had just missed an auction for one that sold for almost the exact same price with shipping, but condition wasn't quite as stellar, not bad but not as almost-new as this one I bought.

May 20, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #880 of 2,528
This is off topic a bit, but I don't like Z Reviews at all. He is more concerned with cables and pads than he is about sound. He uses various tactics as well to manipulate his "fans". He is not capable of analyzing or describing characteristics of the sound signature of headphones at all. It is a shame that we no longer have Tyll for headphone reviews.

May 21, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #881 of 2,528
I've seen you in some other threads, definitely looking forward to your impressions -- I've never heard a pair of Audioquest headphones, either.

Watch for a deal on the original Nighthawk:)

@DW75 I'm sad Audioquest got out of the headphone market -- the Nightowl Carbon is a gorgeous headphone, as are the other models they sold, and from what I read on here, they sound damn good, too.

There was no way they could continue with headphones after Skylar left. The NH was all him. A genius.

Looking forward to your impressions of the 630VB.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #884 of 2,528
Nothing. I just meant grab one if you find a deal on the original. Never selling mine.

Haha, well, I didn't think you were selling yours, I know you love yours! :D (I'd actually prefer there not be a deal for a while on one since I just bought the TH500RP and the 630VB over the weekend, both used, so I'm tapped out for a while on headphone purchases unless I sell some.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back