AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
May 14, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #856 of 2,529
The isolation is not good at all. I would never wear these outside. They are not a tight fit (but REALLY comfortable), kind of odd looking and let in lots of noise.

For me, these are strictly home 'phones. The Meze 99 Classics are my road warriors.

Shane D
Mezze? How do they sound? Not fatiguing?

May 14, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #857 of 2,529
Mezze? How do they sound? Not fatiguing?

I don't find them at all fatiguing, but everyone is different. Can you test them out locally? Some people find them bassy, but I do not. I use them with my phone (LG V30) and could listen all day long.

Shane D

PS: It's Meze.

May 14, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #859 of 2,529
Not for me, but everyone is different.

Do you have any shops near you that might carry Meze?

Shane D

May 14, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #861 of 2,529
What's the return policy?

What kind of brands are available to you locally?

Shane D

May 14, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #863 of 2,529
Where are you located?

May 14, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #864 of 2,529
Where did you test the Audioquest headphones?

Shane D

May 15, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #867 of 2,529
So much for my grand experiment... The ZMF Pilot Pad fits on the NightOwl, but then the NightOwl no longer fits on my head. Same with the E-MU Teak. *Sigh* I'll have to figure out what to do with it...

Good news is that listening to the NightOwl balanced through my Audio-gd 28.38 is sublime. The soundstage and imaging is now incredible and all the slight weirdness with the hollow sounding mids is gone. I sort of miss the personality, but I can now see why these MSRP'd at $700. They certainly sound like $700 now. Maybe the iFi Black Label just isn't the best complement for the Owls.

I am also pleased to find that the Venus Audio cable is beautiful and even more supple than the Periapt cables. I'll have to pick up some more cables from them.

May 15, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #868 of 2,529
So much for my grand experiment... The ZMF Pilot Pad fits on the NightOwl, but then the NightOwl no longer fits on my head. Same with the E-MU Teak. *Sigh* I'll have to figure out what to do with it...

Good news is that listening to the NightOwl balanced through my Audio-gd 28.38 is sublime. The soundstage and imaging is now incredible and all the slight weirdness with the hollow sounding mids is gone. I sort of miss the personality, but I can now see why these MSRP'd at $700. They certainly sound like $700 now. Maybe the iFi Black Label just isn't the best complement for the Owls.

I am also pleased to find that the Venus Audio cable is beautiful and even more supple than the Periapt cables. I'll have to pick up some more cables from them.

Funny you say that about the ifi bl. I found the dfr to be a better pairing.

May 20, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #869 of 2,529
I bought my Nightowl Carbon today. I will have it in the mail in the next few days. I have never heard any of the Audioquest headphones before. I am quite interested to see what it offers. I will put up my impressions after I get it, and then after burn in.

May 20, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #870 of 2,529
I bought my Nightowl Carbon today. I will have it in the mail in the next few days. I have never heard any of the Audioquest headphones before. I am quite interested to see what it offers. I will put up my impressions after I get it, and then after burn in.

I've seen you in some other threads, definitely looking forward to your impressions -- I've never heard a pair of Audioquest headphones, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back