AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
May 2, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #841 of 2,528
I had a chance to demo these and the NightHawk side by side and I think the NightOwl sound better with my setup (iPhone + DFR + TIDAL). The bass sounds tighter, detail greater, vocals more forward and overall more balanced than the the NightHawks. The $399 price seems like a steal tbh...
I confirm that. When I tied to hear for actual difference it was not that easy...but what was easy is that I enjoyed music more with the Owl. As if more lively.

May 6, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #842 of 2,528
I was going to write down some impressions on these after listening a while, but I found myself struggling to describe the sound. I was saying things like "the bass is glossy" and "soundstage is like a pyramid," and after trying to type something up I realized my wording sounded ridiculous. I will try again later.

However, the heart of it is: these sound great, but they present sound in a strange, hard-to-describe way. The best I can come up with is that it is very similar to those first few days after getting a new set of prescription glasses. Everything is clear, yes, but there is always that slightly disorienting, vertiginous sensation as you move through the world with them. Things seem hyper-real and oddly intense, as though what you see is more impactful somehow. Anyway, the NightOwls have that sensation to them, though I'm not sure what exactly that comes from. But, it is rather pleasant and engaging in a different way from a highly colored sound, intense dynamics, or extreme resolution is. Perhaps that weird sensation comes from a combination of those elements.

Whatever it is, I am very glad I bought these. The NightOwls are packaged, built, and accessorized like a $700 pair, and their sound is quite unique. At $400, they represent one of the best values on the market.

May 6, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #843 of 2,528
The NightOwls are very easy on the ears and sound awesome, especially for the discounted price atm.

May 6, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #844 of 2,528
I have the Triple Driver Over Ears from 1More and they have more treble presence as well as more bass. They are not as comfortable as the Nightowls, but the 1More aren't uncomfortable. I still have to burn the Nightowls in, then I can give you a more detailed comparison. :)

No pressure! :wink:

May 8, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #846 of 2,528
May 8, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #847 of 2,528
Member "philmarcus8" in the link below claims that the mere addition of ZMF's Pilot Pad to the existing Nightowl headband results in a noticeable improvement in sound quality.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/thoughts-on-the-audioquest-nightowl.853781/page-3#post-14226706

Better fit and seal producing better sound? That's my hope in buying a Pilot Pad. The idea that the pad absorbs vibrations better and thereby produces better sound seems like a bit of a stretch.

May 8, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #849 of 2,528
I mean I have the Pilot Pad and did try it on the NO, let's just say that it stretches the entire headband upwards when you wear it, making the pads sit on your head more vertically so for some people it might seal better yes, which then results in them being able to hear the sound of NO properly by having a good seal.
For me, I have a smaller head and I don't have seal issues with the Owls so I'm not using the Pilot Pad, it doesn't look too bad on it though :) But it definitely improves comfort even further, if you ever had a slight hot-spot on your head with Owls/Hawks, the Pilot Pad will definitely solve that issue.
TLDR It is not a bad investment comfort-wise but don't expect mind-blowing sound quality increase from it.

Btw I'm using the Hybrid pads from NightHawks on it and they really make the Owls shine :L3000:

Pics below:
ZBgsUne.jpg

Top view:
SfAvnrU.jpg

Hope it helped.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #850 of 2,528
I mean I have the Pilot Pad and did try it on the NO, let's just say that it stretches the entire headband upwards when you wear it, making the pads sit on your head more vertically so for some people it might seal better yes, which then results in them being able to hear the sound of NO properly by having a good seal.
For me, I have a smaller head and I don't have seal issues with the Owls so I'm not using the Pilot Pad, it doesn't look too bad on it though :) But it definitely improves comfort even further, if you ever had a slight hot-spot on your head with Owls/Hawks, the Pilot Pad will definitely solve that issue.
TLDR It is not a bad investment comfort-wise but don't expect mind-blowing sound quality increase from it.

Btw I'm using the Hybrid pads from NightHawks on it and they really make the Owls shine :L3000:

Pics below:
ZBgsUne.jpg

Top view:
SfAvnrU.jpg

Hope it helped.

Thanks for posting pics of the Pilot Pad and sharing your experiences with them. If anything, at the very least the ZMF pad will preserve the stock headband and prolong it's life. Is your pad the protein or lambskin?

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #852 of 2,528
Lambskin, I got it on Massdrop during a ZMF drop for like 15$ if I remember correctly, pretty good value I guess. Really soft to the touch, goes well with the Owl pads.

Thank you. I already placed an order for the lambskin Pilot Pad for my old school NH's.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #853 of 2,528
I just ordered a Pilot Pad for my NightOwls. Those pictures were worth a thousand words or, more accurately, thirty bucks.

May 14, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #854 of 2,528
Has anyone taken these on the subway and can comment on the isolation? :)

I tested the in-store and I thought the isolation was so-so but it doesn't isolate completely despite being closed backs.

May 14, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #855 of 2,528
The isolation is not good at all. I would never wear these outside. They are not a tight fit (but REALLY comfortable), kind of odd looking and let in lots of noise.

For me, these are strictly home 'phones. The Meze 99 Classics are my road warriors.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back