AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Jul 23, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #1,861 of 2,529
Thanks mate. I am listening to the Edition X V2 with a FiiO Q5 using the THX AAA module with an aftermarket balanced cable made in China. I have also purchased many American and European made pieces of gear so my allegiance goes to where the sound I think I want can be had. I worked for years with some lovely people from Iran (even learned a little Farsi) and Iraq. Diversity is pretty awesome. Just this weekend (when I put my back out) my girlfriend and I were in a lovely little town, Perth, Ontario, and we both found it somewhat unpleasant in that there wasn't a single person or family of colour to be seen. Coming from Ottawa which is fairly diverse, and my girlfriend having been raised in Toronto which is very diverse that just struck us as not what we wanted to see in 2019. Gorgeous little town, hope it gets a little diversity soon.

Hi Sonic, read some of the posts above and was stunned by your over the top reaction to the use of a very common term. The original poster was super cool and apparently did not take it as an offense, but that is a credit to him, because your post was simply outrageous.

Are you sure that you aren't being racist against people of European background in your post above (even if you are one yourself)? Why did the homogeneity of the little town in Canada make you feel uncomfortable? Would you also be uncomfortable if you go to a little town in Vietnam and everyone is East Asian or a little town in lovely Gabon and everyone is of African origin? Is homogeneity something that is allowed for all cultures except Europeans? There are European nations that do not have a colonial legacy, so we don't have this built in guilt or whatever you are carrying around. Reflect on this.

I know this is wildly off topic, but it had to be said. I will not post again on this subject.

Jul 23, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #1,862 of 2,529
@CaptainFantastic Yes, I already admitted that I overreacted to the OP, and this will also be my last post on the subject as it is indeed quite OT. My apology to the thread for this brief indulgence. I am quite sure that I am not being racist against western European's. I feel it was a perfectly valid response to the little town being so homogenous in racial composition. Canada was built upon colonialism and then further built upon by immigration with various waves being deliberately exploited, and that doesn't even touch on Canada's horrible treatment of our Indigenous people. That little town is very close to some major urban centres and is one of the oldest, but consistently growing rural community meaning it should have begun some appropriate level of diversification by this point. This is not at all the first time I have been there and each time noticed the homogeneity. I am sure there are somewhere a few people/families of colour there, but if so it is a tiny percentage.

No, my reaction would not be negative if I found homogeneity in the countries that you mentioned as they were not the beneficiaries of colonialism nor are they currently built upon by immigration from white dominant nations (certainly not to any significant/meaningful extent). It is the fact that here in Canada we have both exploited and been built by peoples of colour reaching our level of affluences accordingly and as such I as a Canadian would prefer to see a better mix of races and cultures everywhere that I travel in Canada, certainly in towns like the one that I mentioned as it is affluent, very lovely and most importantly, quite close to urban centres. If it was a less central, very rural community, my reaction would certainly be less pronounced while I would still hope to see more diversity down the road.

This is not guilt, it is acknowledgement, and I don't mind if you elect to challenge my point of view as driven by guilt rather than by substantive analysis, that is your right. Anyway, far, far too OT and again my apology for this to the thread.

Jul 23, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #1,863 of 2,529
Any small village or town without shopping malls, buses, hospitals or dollar stores is not going to be appealing to the masses. I think a lot of people would like to live in these smaller places but cannot afford the transportation (a car) to get into the larger cities when they need to. But I think you will eventually see a lot of diversity in the populace when the current workforce wants to retire outside the big city.

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #1,864 of 2,529
Nope, break-in is actually brain acclimation. There is no evidence that mechanical changes are even remotely audible.

What is the evidence for “brain acclimation”?

I am dubious about this as an explanation based on the time it has taken before most have felt it takes for these to have finally settled in. I would think that “brain acclimation” would be something most would not take too long to achieve. We are all well trained at quickly re-acclimating ourselves - especially those who listen to different headphones or speakers.

Personally speaking, I don’t think I noticed much burn-in as I wasn’t too fond of the NightOwl until I ditched the stock cable. Once I replaced the cable, acclimation was nearly instantaneous and I was pleased with where things landed.

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #1,865 of 2,529
What is the evidence for “brain acclimation”?

I am dubious about this as an explanation based on the time it has taken before most have felt it takes for these to have finally settled in. I would think that “brain acclimation” would be something most would not take too long to achieve. We are all well trained at quickly re-acclimating ourselves - especially those who listen to different headphones or speakers.

Personally speaking, I don’t think I noticed much burn-in as I wasn’t too fond of the NightOwl until I ditched the stock cable. Once I replaced the cable, acclimation was nearly instantaneous and I was pleased with where things landed.

What cable did you switch to and what were the differences?

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #1,867 of 2,529
Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #1,869 of 2,529
Did you need two of the Nano-Silver cables? Or an adapter? It doesn't appear to be a headphone cable on the Wireworld website.

Wireworld unfortunately just exited the headphone cable business. I have a single Nano-Silver that was terminated to support the NightOwls.

Jul 24, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #1,871 of 2,529
Bummer! Pretty surprising that a company like Audioquest whose bread and butter is cables wouldn't supply Nightowls with a more optimal cable, sound wise and ergonomically.

That surprised me as well. Note that they have come out with a replacement cable:

https://www.audioquest.com/cables/headphone-cables/nightbird/nightbird-model-one

https://twitteringmachines.com/review-audioquest-nightbird-model-one-headphone-cable/

I think I'd look instead to Moon Audio's Dragon cables.

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #1,873 of 2,529
Jul 25, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #1,875 of 2,529
Can the Audioquest Nightbird Model One cable be had in a balanced config? Loving the Nightowl so far, no regrets. :dt880smile:

I don't think it does because I'd get one to use with my M11 if they did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back