1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by xero1, Aug 14, 2016.
First

Back
117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126
128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135
Next

Last
  1. ill Kabong
    See that’s what I’m afraid of, that I won’t be able to find anything close to the performance of these for what would be a reasonable trade. I too am not head over heels for these, although they are truly some of the most natural sounding headphones I’ve owned. I still haven’t decided whether I want to trade them/sell them yet, but thanks for the input.

2. waveSounds
    What is it about them that's giving you pause for thought?

3. Shahram
    He mentioned earlier that they are really big to wear in public. Though I know I would never use them for use outside my apartment. That's what IEMs are for.

4. mbwilson111
    ...or smaller portable on ears. I have the NH and I would sit in the garden with it but I would not "garden" or go for a walk... even if I had the closed NO. I do like that I can drive it out of a good DAP so I can walk around the house if I want to.

SteveOliver likes this.
  5. waveSounds
    Ah, I'd assumed there was more to it than just that. The Owl's natural habitat is in the home. @ill Kabong If your only real gripe with them is their outdoor suitability then I'd seriously suggest you getting another paid of headphones to fill the portable duties, because you'll have difficulty replacing these if you enjoy their sound... when it came to the wire, I sold my Elear instead of these.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  6. mbwilson111
    Yes, keep them for indoors and buy something like the 1More Triple Driver headphone for out and about.

trellus likes this.
  7. Shahram
    What did you like more about the Nightowl vs. the Elear? The Elear is an open back if I'm not mistake and the Elegia is the closed back model.

8. Mhog55
    Has anyone done any mods to these? I really wish the headband was a bit wider, and perhaps a touch thicker. I have no idea what materials are inside the cup or around the drivers, but if something can be added or removed to make these a little more forward and dynamic, I'd definitely be interested. Just so long as the mods aren't too complex, or the headphones are really difficult to disassemble. I still can't decide which pads I prefer, so I need to spend more time switching and listening. I think I prefer the more neutral presentation the suede pads offer, but something still seems to be missing, and I can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is.

9. Groundking
    I'm looking to buy a portable amp/dac to use with my pair of Owls and my S10+ and I have absolute max £150 to play with but I have no idea about what the differences are between them all so what would people recommend?

10. clerkpalmer
    You can’t beat the topping nx4 in that price range. It packs a good punch. If you need more portable, dragonfly red is your best bet. The trade off is battery drain. The df will suck the life out of your cell battery.

mbwilson111 likes this.
  11. ill Kabong
    I am a big fan of the ifi nano idsd black label. It has its own battery supply, puts out more power than the dragonfly and is close to the same price. Only trade off is that it’s about the same size as a phone!

phthora likes this.
  12. Shahram
    Or spend a bit more and go for the Dragonfly Cobalt. It uses less battery and is better at everything compared to the Red according to all the reviews.

trellus likes this.
  13. Mhog55
    Have you received your cans yet?

14. Shahram
    I sure have. Have not listened a ton yet. They are so new looking, feeling, and smelling that I doubt they were even broken in properly. So I'm working on that for now.

My initial thoughts so far:
    • Comfort is very good. But the head band does put more pressure on top of my head compared to the HE400i. Clamp pressure is minimal.
    • Sound is signature is warmer and bass impact is more generous compared to the HE400i. More mid bass thickness.
    • Treble sounds brighter and more fatiguing than the hifiman, but I wonder if that it just needs some longer break in.
    • Pretty wide sound stage for a closed back. Does not quite meet the hifiman, but shouldn't be able to match an open design.
    I will check back in once I've had them run for another 100 hours or so.

15. Mhog55
    Interesting. I find the Owls much darker sounding than the 400i / 400s. I also find the treble on the 400s to be quite a bit brighter than that of the Owls, at times bordering on fatiguing. The 400 sounded much more forward, especially in the mids compared to the Owls, which sound distant in comparison. What are you using as your source?

First

Back
117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126
128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135
Next

Last