AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
May 24, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #1,816 of 2,529
If you want a warmish sounding open back headphone, you should strongly consider the Amiron Home. It is quite different from the usual Beyerdynamic headphones, in that it does not have the usual bright sounding mid treble that most Beyers have. Imaging, soundstage, bass impact and extension, dynamics, and retrieval of small details in the music are all extremely impressive on the Amiron. I think you would be extremely impressed with it. In terms of burn in, it reaches its final sound at about 60 hours use.

May 24, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #1,818 of 2,529
All good suggestions.
I have trouble believing that my first headphone is my perfect headphone. I kinda enjoyed having to go hunting for my perfect match.
I'll look into the Amiron. I definitely need something with a warmer sound. Hopefully it wasn't a mistake to sell my nightowls

May 24, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #1,819 of 2,529
All good suggestions.
I have trouble believing that my first headphone is my perfect headphone. I kinda enjoyed having to go hunting for my perfect match.

That's kind of funny actually - not many headfiers have experienced that.

Consider yourself lucky - and consider yourself having saved a lot of money!

But if you enjoy the hunt, we'll see you back here again in a few years :)

May 24, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #1,820 of 2,529
All good suggestions.
I'll look into the Amiron. I definitely need something with a warmer sound. Hopefully it wasn't a mistake to sell my nightowls

What sources do you have to drive them? The Amiron is 250 ohm.

May 24, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #1,821 of 2,529

But, sadly, he sold the NightOwl so now he needs something if the Sundara is only a loaner and he doesn't really like it.

May 24, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #1,822 of 2,529

Lol. Maybe i should just consider myself lucky. However When trying the sundaras, I did notice that the detail in the piano was very lacking in the nightowls. So the nightowl sound with more details in mids a treble would be what I'm searching for.

What sources do you have to drive them? The Amiron is 250 ohm.
My only source is mi tidal hifi and then through my chord mojo

May 24, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #1,824 of 2,529
My only source is mi tidal hifi and then through my chord mojo

Someone familiar with the mojo will know if that is enough for the Amiron. Knowing what your source is always helps people to make suggestions. Also would be good to know your price range.

May 24, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #1,825 of 2,529
The Amiron Home is a perfect upgrade from the Nightowl. You will be very happy. In terms of comfort, the Amiron is also one of the best out there as well.

Personally, as much as I like my Amiron I do love my Nighthawk more. There is just something about it... plus it is more comfy.

May 24, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #1,826 of 2,529
My price range is right around the amiron. I might take a trip to the audio store next week. With the sundara I learned that nothing beats actually listening to a headphone.
A store nearby has a refurbished denon ah-d7200 for a good price. It has good reviews but I'm afraid that I will lose a bit of fun compared to the nightowl. Also right now I'm really confused if I actually want an open or closed back.

May 25, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #1,827 of 2,529
I have never heard the Nightowl but I know there are people who do have both. The Nighthawk has that engaging sound that makes me enjoy the magic for hours :)

Quick question. You enjoy the NightHawk so much, how come you never even tried the NightOwl? No curiosity about it, even though you follow the thread? I own both and prefer the NightOwl even though it is a closed-back.

May 25, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #1,828 of 2,529

Users who are viewing this thread

Back