AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
May 8, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #1,801 of 2,529
I forgot how good these headphones are for relaxing and chilling on the couch.

May 9, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #1,803 of 2,529
Agreed, I can literally get lost in the music for hours with almost any headphone honestly, but especially so with these. They are sounding better and better with playing time.

Now that I’ve decided on keeping the Dyson audio copper cable over the newfantasia spc, I need to figure out how to make a balanced cable with some up-occ silver and eidolic plugs to be able to give these phones a cable as good as them.

Anyone using a up-occ silver balanced cable?

May 9, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #1,804 of 2,529
Agreed, I can literally get lost in the music for hours with almost any headphone honestly, but especially so with these. They are sounding better and better with playing time.

Now that I’ve decided on keeping the Dyson audio copper cable over the newfantasia spc, I need to figure out how to make a balanced cable with some up-occ silver and eidolic plugs to be able to give these phones a cable as good as them.

Anyone using a up-occ silver balanced cable?

Glad to hear you're going balanced! I don't have any silver cables but, for my NightHawk, I have a Dyson Gotham Starquad (OFC) single-ended cable and an Arctic Cables Neotech (UP-OCC Litz) balanced cable.

The Dyson cable is pretty bad for microphonics and does not sound better to me than the AQ stock cable. The Neotech balanced cable is awesome on all counts: no microphonics, light, flexible and takes the sound quality of the NightHawk up a notch.

May 9, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #1,805 of 2,529
Glad to hear you're going balanced! I don't have any silver cables but, for my NightHawk, I have a Dyson Gotham Starquad (OFC) single-ended cable and an Arctic Cables Neotech (UP-OCC Litz) balanced cable.

The Dyson cable is pretty bad for microphonics and does not sound better to me than the AQ stock cable. The Neotech balanced cable is awesome on all counts: no microphonics, light, flexible and takes the sound quality of the NightHawk up a notch.

Yeah the stock AQ cable for the owl is terrible, the newfantasia cable wasn’t quite what I wanted for sound, the Dyson Gotham balanced cable is better. You mention the neotech, which is exactly the wire I’m looking at using for my diy cable. Trying to choose between up-occ solid core silver and the up-occ stranded silver with 1% 24k gold content. I’m just at a loss of which will be better for me. As well as trying to decide on whether to use solid core or stranded.

May 9, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #1,806 of 2,529
I bought my balanced cable from Arctic Cables. It's a step up from the Dyson and Newfantasia. You can order direct from them, or eBay I believe. They also have a version that's a step up from mine, but 100 bucks is where I draw the line on balanced cables. I believe mine is UP-OCC silver. Maybe silver plated? At any rate, it sounds good. I don't think it's quite as good as my 16 core silver plated cable that I use for my 58X from Lunashops, but it's close. Plus they're made to order, so you can terminate how you'd like. Turn around time is quick. You can also pick your sleeve color - definitely recommend

May 11, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #1,809 of 2,529
Also, I have decided on either the neotech up occ silver stranded or the neotech up occ silver/gold alloy stranded. Anyone have any thoughts as to which I should go for? They’re pretty close on price but I hear so much conflict on whether the gold is a good thing or not.

May 14, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #1,810 of 2,529
The NightOwls and a soundtrack of "Defected presents Most Rated Ibiza 2018" are proving to be the perfect groom's speech writing accompaniment. Whether the 3 x 660ml bottles of San Miguel are playing their part is up for debate
wink.gif

May 24, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #1,811 of 2,529
The nightowl was my first audiophile-type headphone. Not long ago I decided I wanted to try something open with a bigger soundstage. I was lucky to get a sundara as a loaner from hifiman.
It's really clear and the sound is more open. Technically it seems better.
But why is it so boring compared to the nightowl? I barely enjoy listening to music on the sundara compared to the nightowl. I'm not sure what it is. Is this the difference between a fun and a clear headphone? And will I ever enjoy another headphone? I hope so because I just sold my nightowl to expand my headphone knowledge and experience. I don't know what to buy next

May 24, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #1,812 of 2,529
The nightowl was my first audiophile-type headphone. Not long ago I decided I wanted to try something open with a bigger soundstage. I was lucky to get a sundara as a loaner from hifiman.
It's really clear and the sound is more open. Technically it seems better.
But why is it so boring compared to the nightowl? I barely enjoy listening to music on the sundara compared to the nightowl. I'm not sure what it is. Is this the difference between a fun and a clear headphone? And will I ever enjoy another headphone? I hope so because I just sold my nightowl to expand my headphone knowledge and experience. I don't know what to buy next

Maybe you should try to find a Nighthawk.

May 24, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #1,813 of 2,529
Maybe you should try to find a Nighthawk.

Is was thinking about that. Does it have the same engaging sound that makes you enjoy the music for hours? What are the differences?

May 24, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #1,814 of 2,529
Is was thinking about that. Does it have the same engaging sound that makes you enjoy the music for hours? What are the differences?

I have never heard the Nightowl but I know there are people who do have both. The Nighthawk has that engaging sound that makes me enjoy the magic for hours :)

May 24, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #1,815 of 2,529

No, the NH's are not for you - they are not engaging, let alone for hours.

Ok, I'm joking: "Engaging for hours" is actually the official sound signature of the NH's :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back