AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 15, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #10,172 of 10,196
Have been using the Nighthawks for many years for their great sound and comfort. One of the rare headphones I can wear for a long period without any discomfort. HD600 for example hurts my head. Also, I found its mids far too shouty, so the upper mid dip in the Nighthawks that many dislike is something I actually don't mind. Got all the three versions, so I'm covered for many more years. The Nightowls are actually significantly darker sounding than the other two. The OG Nighthawk sounds a bit thicker than the Nighthawk Carbon, but sounds pretty much the same otherwise. I mainly use the OG Nighthawks.

I use face masks as the headband for all of them😁. To me, it's more comfortable than the original headband even, and very easily replaceable. It's a bit flimsy, but that's a small price to pay for ultimate convenience. Get a face mask with elastic ear loops and tie knots into them and make a small hole. Insert the black connector thingy into the small hole, and enjoy. Tie the knots at the right place so it stretches and fits well on your head. More knots will tighten the elastic thread more. Three knots total on each side seem to be right for me, as seen in the picture. Experiment for yourself and see what works for you.

I nowadays use them with some brandless earpads made for brainwavs hm5. They sound brighter, less boomy, and much cleaner in general. The pads are much thicker, and are much more comfortable. It made me realize the stock pads really accentuate what most people dislike about these headphones. The stock pads gives them that boomy reverb sound, in comparison to the much cleaner sounding brandless earpads I bought on a whim. That in combination with a balanced cable, and they sound completely different from what you get out of the box.
Anyways, with an easily replaceable headband and readily available 3rd party pads that to me sound better than the stock ones, these are pretty much future proof😄.
DSCF0587.JPG
DSCF0586.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #10,173 of 10,196
Have been using the Nighthawks for many years for their great sound and comfort. One of the rare headphones I can wear for a long period without any discomfort. HD600 for example hurts my head. Also, I found its mids far too shouty, so the upper mid dip in the Nighthawks that many dislike is something I actually don't mind. Got all the three versions, so I'm covered for many more years. The Nightowls are actually significantly darker sounding than the other two. The OG Nighthawk sounds a bit thicker than the Nighthawk Carbon, but sounds pretty much the same otherwise. I mainly use the OG Nighthawks.

I use face masks as the headband for all of them😁. To me, it's more comfortable than the original headband even, and very easily replaceable. It's a bit flimsy, but that's a small price to pay for ultimate convenience. Get a face mask with elastic ear loops and tie knots into them and make a small hole. Insert the black connector thingy into the small hole, and enjoy. Tie the knots at the right place so it stretches and fits well on your head.

I nowadays use them with some brandless earpads made for brainwavs hm5. They sound brighter, less boomy, and much cleaner in general. The pads are much thicker, and are much more comfortable. It made me realize the stock pads really accentuate what most people dislike about these headphones. The stock pads gives them that boomy reverb sound, in comparison to the much cleaner sounding brandless earpads I bought on a whim. That in combination with a balanced cable, and they sound completely different from what you get out of the box.
Anyways, with an easily replaceable headband and readily available 3rd party pads that to me sound better than the stock ones, these are pretty much future proof😄.
DSCF0587.JPGDSCF0586.JPG
Glad that you've been able to geri rig them to keep them going! 👍

Dec 16, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #10,174 of 10,196

I use face masks as the headband for all of them😁. To me, it's more comfortable than the original headband even, and very easily replaceable. It's a bit flimsy, but that's a small price to pay for ultimate convenience. Get a face mask with elastic ear loops and tie knots into them and make a small hole. Insert the black connector thingy into the small hole, and enjoy. Tie the knots at the right place so it stretches and fits well on your head.

Hi, can you send a link to the pads? Thx.

Dec 16, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #10,175 of 10,196

DSCF0587.JPGDSCF0586.JPG
Bloody brilliant mate. :metal:

Dec 16, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #10,176 of 10,196
Hi, can you send a link to the pads? Thx.
I bought them from a local web shop that doesn't sell them anymore, but looking online I found some that look exactly the same as what I have. They are very thick and angled.
It's a cheap brandless model you can find anywhere basically. Example links:
Amazon
Ebay
The thickness of the pads essentially put the drivers further away from your ears. If you ever used IEMs with different tips, you'll know that tips that put the driver further away increases brightness and soundstage, while cutting away some warmth from the bass. It pretty much has the same effect here.

You need to cut some holes in them yourself and fit them in the plastic connectors that you need to extract from the stock earpads. You'll most likely have to tear apart your stock earpads for this, so I recommend doing it when your old pads are falling apart, as you won't know whether you'll like the sound of the new pads.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #10,177 of 10,196
I bought them from a local web shop that doesn't sell them anymore, but looking online I found some that look exactly the same as what I have. They are very thick and angled.
Amazon
Ebay
The thickness of the pads essentially put the drivers further away from your ears. If you ever used IEMs with different tips, you'll know that tips that put the driver further away increases brightness and soundstage, while cutting away some warmth from the bass. It pretty much has the same effect here.

You need to cut some holes in them yourself and fit them in the plastic connectors that you need to extract from the stock earpads. You'll most likely have to tear apart your stock earpads for this, so I recommend doing it when your old pads are falling apart, as you won't know whether you'll like the sound of the new pads.
Thanks for replying.

Dec 16, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #10,178 of 10,196
Amazon
Ebay

I also believe you can buy or 3d print new connectors.

Jan 8, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #10,182 of 10,196
Does anyone know if Dekoni or anyone else will be making a proper leather replacement headband?
Replacement headband and earpads would be really nice for the Nighthawk/owl.

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #10,183 of 10,196
Really wish my pads for the Hawk weren't in such a state. Lately have returned to preferring the Hawk to the Owl - finding the bass response on the latter too muted…

Any suggestions for pad replacements in addition to the Brainwavs ones?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #10,184 of 10,196
Jan 24, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #10,185 of 10,196

Users who are viewing this thread

Back